Claimed off Waivers: Zbynek Michalek and Klas Dahlbeck (upd: Dahlbeck claimed by CAR)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Don't they have injuries on D and Tinordi on suspension? Who would be their 7 roster D?

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Don't they have injuries on D and Tinordi on suspension? Who would be their 7 roster D?

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Schenn
Chychrun - McBain

Stone and Connauton injured.

Stone is close to returning and may be ready opening night. Not sure about Connauton. DeAngelo could be called up if needed, looked good in camp.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Michalek looked surprisingly solid at the world's. Not a world breaker by any means but I think he can perform at the NHL level. I'm a little surprised to be honest, I'd almost want to put in a claim from the Leafs perspective of uniting the two Michaleks but I'm not sure where he'd fit.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs should claim Michalek. He's a lot better than Hunwick (lol).

Hunwick is not a bad defenseman, but we could use the RH shot more sure. Problem is the 3.2 mill cap hit we should not take back.

We could trade for him. No way we claim him. If Arizona was interested in Hunwick and Greening in exchange for Michalek and someone cheap to even out the dollars, I'm sure the Leafs would consider it. Change of scenery for all, and they can all hopefully stay in the NHL in some capacity.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hope Oilers pick up Z and send Nurse and Benning to the AHL... those two could play in the NHL but the rebuild is over :)

No way Yotes take on Leaf dumps like Greening. They are a budget team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
z michalek to ottawa please for the love of everything

Nobody should want a 33, going on 34 year-old shot-blocking defenseman this badly.

Surprised Z dropped off that much...

How often do defensemen built around shot-blocking remain effective into their 30s? The decline is almost always as swift as it is horrifying.

I'll give Zbynek a ton of credit for rebounding after his mediocre-as-hell couple years in Pittsburgh, but he was never going to be effective into his late 30s with his style of play.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Maybe it's the years of watching over-the-hill shot-blocking defensemen on the third pairing of the Pens that makes me feel this way...but...things can get worse.

i would really like to meet the defenceman that is at the nhl level and that is worse then boro...because as of right now that seems impossible

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Michalek is still a serviceable veteran bottom pairing D. You'd just prefer not to be paying $3.2m to those types of players.

Doubt he gets picked up, but he is only under contract for one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad