Confirmed with Link: Zaitsev waived

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
When did that change... They were talking about how he'd be on the road trip just yesterday I thought.

That means Holden is back in the lineup and we don't have a 7th d?

Given they potentially cleared two roster spots. You’d have to imagine there’s a corresponding move coming soon. They could also send Zaitsev to Belleville at a later date if the goal is to have him off the roster.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I guarantee you this was done to get him away from the team. I think its wishful thinking they are adding anyone.

I agree. I just would be surprised if they clear 2 roster spots with no other moves. Im not saying a trade is coming. It could be calling up a 7th D, or activating Zub from IR.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If he decides he doesnt want to play in Bellville and goes to the KHL are the sens on the hook for the salary and cap hit?
Nope, but he wouldnt do that for exactly that reason. Pretty much the only reason his contract wouldnt be voided is if we wanted him to return to play it out.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
According to Capfriendly the Sens are currently at the 23 man roster limit. Once Zaitsev and Hellberg clear waivers that will free up two roster spots. Zub will eventually take one of them but until he is activated off of LTIR that will leave two spots open.

These moves could potentially be done if the Sens are intending to call one or two players up and they wouldn't be able to officially call them up until Zaitsev and Hellberg clear. With Joseph listed as the extra forward in practice today and Gambrell listed in his spot that could suggest that the Sens are interested in calling up a forward or two.

There are likely only 4 forwards that would get consideration for a call up at this point and they are Cole Reinhardt, Ridly Greig, Egor Sokolov and Angus Crookshank.

The special teams have been an issue for the Sens so there are some options here.

Reinhardt is more of a 4th line option but he is a solid penalty killer, I'm inclined to think he wouldn't get as strong consideration for a call up if they are looking for someone who can play a middle six role.

Ridly Greig can be effective on both the penalty kill and powerplay. He would likely get serious consideration for a call up. The only thing that might make the Sens hesitant is that he hasn't played as many games because he was injured for a chunk of the start of the season.

Egor Sokolov is a solid option for the powerplay. He hasn't scored a ton of goals to start the season but he has been consistently putting up points. Troy Mann mentioned that he has been good defensively this season and his primary criticism is that he was playing too methodical and maybe a little too caught up in his head.

Angus Crookshank is another option for the powerplay. He had a good preseason but was playing more of a depth role in Belleville to start the season. He hasn't had as much experience at the AHL level and Troy Mann mentioned that he had some details he needed to work on in terms of his defensive play at that level.

Given the fact that Joseph was playing RW that favors Sokolov for consideration for a call up. Brassard also hasn't produced much at center so that could give Greig some serious consideration for a call up as well. Greig will likely have chemistry with everyone and Sokolov has had good chemistry with Pinto in the past. Maybe calling one or both up helps spark the team to a win.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
According to Capfriendly the Sens are currently at the 23 man roster limit. Once Zaitsev and Hellberg clear waivers that will free up two roster spots. Zub will eventually take one of them but until he is activated off of LTIR that will leave two spots open.

These moves could potentially be done if the Sens are intending to call one or two players up and they wouldn't be able to officially call them up until Zaitsev and Hellberg clear. With Joseph listed as the extra forward in practice today and Gambrell listed in his spot that could suggest that the Sens are interested in calling up a forward or two.

There are likely only 4 forwards that would get consideration for a call up at this point and they are Cole Reinhardt, Ridly Greig, Egor Sokolov and Angus Crookshank.

The special teams have been an issue for the Sens so there are some options here.

Reinhardt is more of a 4th line option but he is a solid penalty killer, I'm inclined to think he wouldn't get as strong consideration for a call up if they are looking for someone who can play a middle six role.

Ridly Greig can be effective on both the penalty kill and powerplay. He would likely get serious consideration for a call up. The only thing that might make the Sens hesitant is that he hasn't played as many games because he was injured for a chunk of the start of the season.

Egor Sokolov is a solid option for the powerplay. He hasn't scored a ton of goals to start the season but he has been consistently putting up points. Troy Mann mentioned that he has been good defensively this season and his primary criticism is that he was playing too methodical and maybe a little too caught up in his head.

Angus Crookshank is another option for the powerplay. He had a good preseason but was playing more of a depth role in Belleville to start the season. He hasn't had as much experience at the AHL level and Troy Mann mentioned that he had some details he needed to work on in terms of his defensive play at that level.

Given the fact that Joseph was playing RW that favors Sokolov for consideration for a call up. Brassard also hasn't produced much at center so that could give Greig some serious consideration for a call up as well. Greig will likely have chemistry with everyone and Sokolov has had good chemistry with Pinto in the past. Maybe calling one or both up helps spark the team to a win.

All good assessments AFAIC. However I don't see personnel (not player personnel anyway) as the problem with our PP. It's how stale the scheme is and poor zone entries.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Lassi up for a game or two and let him fire some rockets from the point. None of Chabot, Brannstrom or Sanderson seem to show any interest in shooting the puck with any regularity.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Being waived doesn't mean you're being sent to the AHL.

Would not be surprised that he’s kept on the roster for the foreseeable future, same as Zack Smith was.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Being waived doesn't mean you're being sent to the AHL.

Would not be surprised that he’s kept on the roster for the foreseeable future, same as Zack Smith was.
Is there some behind the scenes point I'm unaware of that's beneficial if that's the plan?

Obviously there is no chance anyone is taking the guy off waivers, no different than Smith at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad