Zaitsev / Provorov - meet the long awaited Russian elite D pairing

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
On the subject of future d-men, keep an eye open to 2001 Artemy Knyazev. I know its laughably early but that kid is ridiculous.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sergachyov is a much more likely candidate than Zaitsev, and I don't have anything against Zaitsev, I just don't necessarily see a no1 pairing guy in NHL (let alone a no1 pairing guy on a national team), considering he's already 24 and all.
(...granted, Sergachyov's a LHS, but mostly played RD in junior)
Pretty sure Zaitsev is already on Russia's top pairing. He's been top 2 for Russia in TOI in both games. Russia's d isn't elite, and I'm not expecting Zaitsev to be clear #1 on the Leafs this year or even top pairing, but for this tournament he seems to be Russia's top defender. Sergachev has a very high-ceiling but a long way to go.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I am going out on a limb here and about to make a bold prediction:

Russia might finally have an elite defensive pairing in the next few years.

Right handed Zaitsev and left handed Provorov will make an ideal pairing.

Both have very good hockey IQ, solid offensively and defensively.

He signed with the leafs so that's now impossible. :sarcasm:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
And we have Zadorov, Tryamkin and a whole lot of young KHL guys. Yeah, WCH 2020 should be much brighter for Team Russia. Pity, it's going to be Team Russia, playing Canadian hockey...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And we have Zadorov, Tryamkin and a whole lot of young KHL guys. Yeah, WCH 2020 should be much brighter for Team Russia. Pity, it's going to be Team Russia, playing Canadian hockey...

If you are fortunate it will be, that is the way to play.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why are people acting like 24 is so old ? He'll only be 26 by the time the next olympics come around. D guys more times than not hit their primes later than forwards anyhow

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
If you are fortunate it will be, that is the way to play.

There is no Canadian style anymore. There's a globalized style everyone more or less plays, except Russia who is slow to integrate different styles into their game; they're quite one dimensional.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Zaitsev is 24 already. You expect him to explode soon?

I only saw Provorov in the WHL playoffs in 2015 and thought if he's one of the top D-man in the draft then the 2015 draft is pretty weak (and it is IMO).

24 for a Defenseman is still incredibly young. You're also basing your opinion of Provorov on an extremely small sample size. I think when it's all said and done, 2015 will go down as one of the better Drafts in recent memory.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zaitsev if he adapts successfully to the NHL could have 8-12 years ahead of him. He's entering prime years for a defenseman, he's gained experience.

I think he's looked very good this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad