Speculation: Zaitsev/Kempny Types for this Spring?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Both Nikita Zaitsev and Michal Kempny came out of the KHL as UDFA last spring and are contributing well for the Leafs and Hawks respectively. Is there anyone out there this spring who might be comparable in terms of both ability to step into an NHL roster and UFA availability at the end of the season? It need not be KHL only, any non-North American professional league standout who meets the criteria would be interesting.

So who's out there?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Both Nikita Zaitsev and Michal Kempny came out of the KHL as UDFA last spring and are contributing well for the Leafs and Hawks respectively. Is there anyone out there this spring who might be comparable in terms of both ability to step into an NHL roster and UFA availability at the end of the season? It need not be KHL only, any non-North American professional league standout who meets the criteria would be interesting.

So who's out there?

If it's not the KHL, it would be SHL...and should be interesting. Always interested to hear about obscure guys under the radar. Although I dare say at this time last year we had heard of Kempny and Zaitsev.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Tkachyov gets mentioned quite a bit as a LW/C. I know the Leafs and Hawks have both scouted him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Zaitsev and Kempny were talked about for almost a year prior. If you hadn't heard about them yet then they likely aren't going to be as big of an impact.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Shipachev and Dadonov obviously. Maybe Tkachev, but I'm not sure he's good enough to become an impactful NHLer.

Gusev is ready to become another Panarin, but he's a Tampa prospect and signed till 2018. Kovar is mentioned, but he never impressed me at international tournaments, so not sure about him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If it's not the KHL, it would be SHL...and should be interesting. Always interested to hear about obscure guys under the radar. Although I dare say at this time last year we had heard of Kempny and Zaitsev.

True, which is why I'm trying to generate some conversation to see if there is anything out there worth chatting about since talk about both warmed up after the Spengler and WJC tournies wrapped last year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Shipachev and Dadonov obviously. Maybe Tkachev, but I'm not sure he's good enough to become an impactful NHLer.

Gusev is ready to become another Panarin, but he's a Tampa prospect and signed till 2018. Kovar is mentioned, but he never impressed me at international tournaments, so not sure about him.

Thinking more specifically D. Shipachev's situation I'd love to see resolved, watching that line last year was certainly entertaining and he was a big part of why.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Marcus Nygren will become UFA this summer. Wouldn't surprise me if another NHL times sign him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

:D:D

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Did Panarin ever show flashes in international tournaments? Serious question.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thinking more specifically D. Shipachev's situation I'd love to see resolved, watching that line last year was certainly entertaining and he was a big part of why.

I actually am afraid of that Shipachev will be signed by some team with die hard Canadian coach and won't find his game. He's a very European player. Of course, he's probably the most talented very European player, but still... Dadonov on the other side can play Canadian game ok. I think, he's ready for top6 RW role, so there will be a lot of NHL clubs after him. And he's only 28 i.e. at his prime.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
Is his situation not resolved?

The last I heard, he's actually free to leave SKA now if he wants to, but will be playing out the rest of the season with them before deciding what to do next.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
I actually am afraid of that Shipachev will be signed by some team with die hard Canadian coach and won't find his game. He's a very European player. Of course, he's probably the most talented very European player, but still... Dadonov on the other side can play Canadian game ok. I think, he's ready for top6 RW role, so there will be a lot of NHL clubs after him. And he's only 28 i.e. at his prime.

He should come to the hawks, it works with panarin and kane who are extremely "euro" players (your words)

And I don't think for most offensive players "prime" is 28.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is his situation not resolved?

The last I heard, he's actually free to leave SKA now if he wants to, but will be playing out the rest of the season with them before deciding what to do next.

He is supposedly free to sign where he wants as of Jan 1st, but the NHL rules being what they are, I would expect he would prefer to not have to go through waivers and wind up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ozhiganov, Yakovlev, Kisilevich, Chudinov

Bruins kept trying to get Chudinov over, I assume they don't have his rights anymore?

I bet he'd be a good signing if he comes over.

Chudinov should definitely give the NHL a go. I hated his guts at the WJC (maybe I am remembering him right?) real big agitating type.

Although he may not be so brave in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad