Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Personally I'd have no issue with a 5 x 4 It's just an inflation adju of Gudbranson, and cheaper and shorter than Myers with equal downside in efficacy. He can no doubt get 6 so I don't suspect we will be the highest bidder. If he goes for max dollars he will sign elsewhere.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Personally I'd have no issue with a 5 x 4 It's just an inflation adju of Gudbranson, and cheaper and shorter than Myers with equal downside in efficacy. He can no doubt get 6 so I don't suspect we will be the highest bidder. If he goes for max dollars he will sign elsewhere.
Yup. If Zadorov is going to be a Leaf the contract will be too much and for too long. 6 x 6 or more. Not a smart move if that happens.

Reactions: trellaine201

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You have your players mixed up. Both in the fancy and counting stats.
Nope. Zadorov starts 63% in the defensive zone. Pesce starts 54% in the offensive zone. Gaslighting is pretty easy to diffuse with the internet these days. Zadorov has a qual comp rating of 5.68. Between 1st and 2nd line opposition. Pesce has a qual comp rating of -.1.63. Average 3rd line competition. Facts are better than making things up.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Yet Z outproduced him, in 16 less games, thought you were all about points.
You clearly don't read carefully. I've discussed TOI at length. I've made multiple posts on the topic. But I'm sure if you keep repeating the same accusation it will eventually come true.

Also, the poster I was responding to talked about Pesce declining the last two years. You'll notice too, the naturalstattrick comparison I posted covered the past two seasons as well. Consistency.

Buyer beware of Pesce. There was a significant drop off over the past 2 seasons.
Pesce: 43 in 152 games

Zadorov: 41 in 157 games

Keep up those lame attempts at gotcha posts, I'm sure you'll catch me napping eventually.

Nope. Zadorov starts 63% in the defensive zone. Pesce starts 54% in the offensive zone. Gaslighting is pretty easy to diffuse with the internet these days. Zadorov has a qual comp rating of 5.68. Between 1st and 2nd line opposition. Pesce has a qual comp rating of -.1.63. Average 3rd line competition. Facts are better than making things up.
What's your source and what is the range of time you're using? Considering Pesce over his career generally plays way more minutes than Zadorov I'm extremely skeptical he's getting nothing but easy match ups and Zadorov is getting the tough assignments. That makes no logical sense.

Also hysterical you just ignore the stats you don't like (hello TOI), but then go and cherry pick a few that puts Zadorov in a favorable light and then editiorialize about gaslighting.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I could see him getting up near that AAV, would be a little surprised if he got that kind of term.

I think he's improved a lot the last couple years, Sutter did a good job getting him to simplify and not go chasing as much. Very durable, skates well, massive frame, and adds some offense as well. He's a player you got to take the bad with the good.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
$4.75 × 4 years to Utah is my guess, which should take them to when But and Simashev come off their ELCs.

Utah needs to replace Brown, Dermott, and Dumba, so Zadorov replaces Brown's toughness...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You clearly don't read carefully. I've discussed TOI at length. I've made multiple posts on the topic. But I'm sure if you keep repeating the same accusation it will eventually come true.

Also, the poster I was responding to talked about Pesce declining the last two years. You'll notice too, the naturalstattrick comparison I posted covered the past two seasons as well. Consistency.

Pesce: 43 in 152 games

Zadorov: 41 in 157 games

Keep up those lame attempts at gotcha posts, I'm sure you'll catch me napping eventually.

What's your source and what is the range of time you're using? Considering Pesce over his career generally plays way more minutes than Zadorov I'm extremely skeptical he's getting nothing but easy match ups and Zadorov is getting the tough assignments. That makes no logical sense.

Also hysterical you just ignore the stats you don't like (hello TOI), but then go and cherry pick a few that puts Zadorov in a favorable light and then editiorialize about gaslighting.
Neither guy is an offensive juggernaut. I guess if you highly value secondary assists over goals and primary assists you'd want Pesce, he has tons of those. You keep moving the goalposts. You were saying Pesce plays the harder minutes. This is blatantly not true either in terms of zone starts or quality of competition. Incidentally Pesce has played with better partners as well.

Zone starts are shown everywhere. Google it and you'll get it from any site. Quality of competition is taken from evolving hockey.

Gaslighting is saying something untrue and then acting like the other person is making it up attempting to have them question reality. Your post fit the definition quite well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No offense, but this is a really bad point. Like.... really bad. You sign players based on where they are, not where their "career averages" are. Especially for a player whose weaknesses are of the type that often (and in this case, do) improve with age.

Not a bad point at all. You don't pay 18 minute a night defenceman 5+ mil a season over a long term deal. When you are talking about a veteran player, their career average is what they are. He literally is playing the minutes per game this season he has in all his seasons. This isn't some young player that is going to grow into a bigger role all of a sudden.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He's going into a UFA year where every team gets a bunch of extra cap money to spend.
He plays the most in-demand position in the league.

He can probably get more than 6x6 if his agent really tries to squeeze teams.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It's fine to not understand things like this, but being both wrong and arrogant is a bad look.

Except he isn't wrong. If a player averages 50 pts/season for example over 1000 GP, but then has an 85 pt season, they aren't suddenly considered a perennial 85 pt player, because sample size means something over large sample sizes. You are calling him a larger minute player because of 1 playoff season. What about his other playoff seasons where his career avg, both in season and playoffs is the same?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This will be the new seabrook deal
Nah, Seabrook was cooked before he signed. Pesce deal will be like that one. That was less a contract and more a lifetime achievement award. Zadorov is a #4 defenseman with unique attributes. He'll continue being that. The problem will come if you're paying him like a 2/3. He's a 4.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This will be the new seabrook deal

He wasnt quite cooked, but certainly in decline. He performed well as one of four dmen that carried Chicago to their 3rd cup the previous season.

But the fact that he got a RAISE at his age was truly insane.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He wasnt quite cooked, but certainly in decline. He performed well as one of four dmen that carried Chicago to their 3rd cup the previous season.

But the fact that he got a RAISE at his age was truly insane.
It’s a lifetime achievement contract. Given to guys who were criminally underpaid during their primes. Vlasic is a great example of this, he’d started to decline in the season he got his fat extension after being wildly underpaid for like six years.

Pesce and Slavin are prime candidates for this type of contract.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I was actually impressed with him and Myers the most out of the Nucks defense. I think he's gonna be a hot commodity this summer among contender teams that have the money to spend.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think folks are underestimating how much cash is out there. I think he get it, or at least close.
Maybe a team like Utah that has zero dmen signed right now.

That being said Zadorov is looking better than he is in isolation or a vacuum and if he isn't on the right fit of a team that contract will sour fast.

Realistically he is a #4 type and should a #4 type of Dman really command that amount and term?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
$4.75 × 4 years to Utah is my guess, which should take them to when But and Simashev come off their ELCs.

Utah needs to replace Brown, Dermott, and Dumba, so Zadorov replaces Brown's toughness...

If he was willing to sign for 4.75M, it's all but guaranteed to be with the Canucks. He's outright said he would like to stay. The only reason he might not is the dollar amount.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Utah will look for a bigger fish than Zadorov. They’re trying to come out of the gates flying, I won’t be shocked if they get Montour for 7 years at 8+mill AAV

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could see him getting up near that AAV, would be a little surprised if he got that kind of term.

I think he's improved a lot the last couple years, Sutter did a good job getting him to simplify and not go chasing as much. Very durable, skates well, massive frame, and adds some offense as well. He's a player you got to take the bad with the good.

Age 29. 6 years takes him to 34. He's looking to cash in and it's obvious.

I agree, teams will be very interested but with the 3 or 4 year term. Cap is going up so $6M AAV may seem like a reach but he is a top 4 matured D now at age 29.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Neither guy is an offensive juggernaut. I guess if you highly value secondary assists over goals and primary assists you'd want Pesce, he has tons of those. You keep moving the goalposts. You were saying Pesce plays the harder minutes. This is blatantly not true either in terms of zone starts or quality of competition. Incidentally Pesce has played with better partners as well.
You don't know what moving the goal posts means. You're just throwing out random cliches at this point.

If i had to guess you're ou're just looking at the most recent playoffs again. You either don't understand sample sizes or are willfully ignorant to obfuscate the truth.
Zone starts are shown everywhere. Google it and you'll get it from any site. Quality of competition is taken from evolving hockey.
Funny you wouldn't give me a date range like I asked for. Or a link.
Gaslighting is saying something untrue and then acting like the other person is making it up attempting to have them question reality. Your post fit the definition quite well.
And you lie through omission.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad