Seravalli: Zadorov thinks he can get 6X6

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Gudbranson turned being a really good #6 on the Flames into a 4x4 contract. Zadorov being a #4/great#5 getting 6x6 doesn't seem far fetched based on that. I wouldn't want my team to be the one that does it though

Reactions: Fatass

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
I miss Zadorov in Calgary and he's one of my favourite players in the league. Absolutely think he can get in this territory for money. The way he played for the Flames showed a matured, two-way game with a unique type of offensive upside that very few D in the league possess. It is now on showcase in primetime for the Canucks in the playoffs and he has risen to the occasion. A very, very good 2nd pairing defenseman.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
He's having an outstanding Playoffs right now. He's not worth 6X6, but after this kind of performance, he has the leverage to trick some desperate GM into going for it (looking at you Toronto).

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If he's a number four defensemen why does he nearly exclusively play third pairing minutes across almost every team he's been on?

To be fair he has more impact in those minutes than the “if you don’t hear his name he did his job” 20 minute eaters at 5-6mil.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like his game, but he is an 18 minute a night defender on average for his whole career, can't see any team going more than 5 mil per season for someone who plays what is considered low minutes for a defender.

To be fair he has more impact in those minutes than the “if you don’t hear his name he did his job” 20 minute eaters at 5-6mil.

Doesn't matter, 18 minutes is low for a defenceman.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sorta proves my point you have to get this esoteric. How has his EV goal scoring been the other seasons of his career? How about his assists? Offense includes much more than EV goals.

What does any of that have to do with Zadorov's offense?
Sorta proves your point that only Cale Makar had more goals than him so he sucks offensively? Oof.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Sorta proves your point that only Cale Makar had more goals than him so he sucks offensively? Oof.
OK, now do an even strength goals comparison every season of his career. Let's not cherry pick one season.

Picking one season and one aspect of offense to prove he's competent while ignoring everything else? Oof.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Do not want to be the team that is paying 31-35 y/o Zadorov 6M

In a sane world he'd get his money on 2-3 years

Bad GM's give out term that they wont be around to deal with. Fans suffer.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
he is an 18 minute a night defender on average for his whole career,
20 minutes in two rounds of the postseason that is happening now, which is more relevant "on average for his whole career". Biggest thing surpressing his ice time is he doesn't play on the Powerplay. That's not necessarily the worst thing for a DMan's contract value if they are deemed a good shutdown DMan/PKer. While you need like 1.5 powerplaying defensemen and anymore are just redundant, you can never have enough "PK'ing" DMen. Add in that it's not really a spot a team looking to be competitive can just throw in a green/unproven prospect and expect some sort of decent results, like say a Middle 6 Forward, and it creates a good market for players of this archetype to get paid pretty well.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
At the end of the day Zadorov is still a bottom pairing dman who can fill in on the top 4 here and there to fill injuries. Any team is going to regret giving him 6x6.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
At the end of the day Zadorov is still a bottom pairing dman who can fill in on the top 4 here and there to fill injuries. Any team is going to regret giving him 6x6.
Huh? He has quite literally been an effective top four presence for a top team that has no major injuries “at the end of each day”.

It seems very hard to convince folks that players can actually take steps up in their careers after some point at which the general perception has pigeon-holed them into a particular role.

I’m not arguing that a big contract for an UFA defenseman isn’t terribly risky. But for Zadorov - I’ve always wondered what the upside would look like if some team unlocked him or he was able to reign in his bad tendencies even just a little - and I think we are seeing that it is quite an impactful defender. This isn’t a guy with no talent or tools playing out of his mind…it’s a very toolsy big man playing like I think a lot of folks had hoped for when he was younger. I think there should definitely be more confidence here based on his skill set that there is something sustainable here than your average late-20’s lower pair defenseman simply going on a bender due to surrounding circumstances.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
OK, now do an even strength goals comparison every season of his career. Let's not cherry pick one season.

Picking one season and one aspect of offense to prove he's competent while ignoring everything else? Oof.
So you think being 2nd in goals in ANY season means someone is run of the mill 3rd pairing offensively? That's dumb. He's also presently leading the league for defensemen in goals in the playoffs. He's a one man breakout. Forecheckers just bounce off him. But yeah, your narrative that he's a run of the mill 3rd pairing guy is super correct.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Always assume there's at least one dumb GM out there.
Exactly! It seems Zadorov will go for the biggest payday, and cares not so much about which club. So it’s highly likely there will be one GM who might go 35-40 million.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
20 minutes in two rounds of the postseason that is happening now, which is more relevant "on average for his whole career". Biggest thing surpressing his ice time is he doesn't play on the Powerplay. That's not necessarily the worst thing for a DMan's contract value if they are deemed a good shutdown DMan/PKer. While you need like 1.5 powerplaying defensemen and anymore are just redundant, you can never have enough "PK'ing" DMen. Add in that it's not really a spot a team looking to be competitive can just throw in a green/unproven prospect and expect some sort of decent results, like say a Middle 6 Forward, and it creates a good market for players of this archetype to get paid pretty well.

642 games have infinitely more relevance than 12 games. His 57 game playoff career also is 18 minutes.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Teams overpay every year in FA for middling guys. 6x6, even 6.5x6 wouldn't surprise me in the slightest (I just like most fans hope its not my team)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He’ll probably get it. There’s a lot of free flowing cash this offseason. GMs are probably going to be real dumb with it circa 2016.

But how can you justify giving that to a guy that has predominately played on the third pairing, even if he is having a great playoffs? Red flags all over the place.

GM's are always really dumb with it. Every summer, every UFA period... stupid money flows.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
So you think being 2nd in goals in ANY season means someone is run of the mill 3rd pairing offensively? That's dumb.
See post #79:
I mean 19 points over 82 games in a career is an unimpeachable accomplishment. As well as finishing second among defensemen in even strength goals once in his whole career. Truly an offensive dynamo from the blue line.

Offense consists of multiple aspects. If Zadorov is so great please post his other offensive superlatives that I'm missing.

But that's all you've got, silly little nitpicks that don't change anything.

He's also presently leading the league for defensemen in goals in the playoffs. He's a one man breakout. Forecheckers just bounce off him.

See post #58:
That's nice. It's also 12 games.

Let's see what's he done over the regular season.

TOI among defensemen:

23/24 (Vancouver): 6th
23/24 (Calgary): 6th
22/23: 5th
21/22: 6th
20/21: 3rd
19/20: 5th

So over the past five seasons Zadorov has played for four teams and received top four minutes once. The Blackhawks team he finished third in TOI on finished 21st in the standings and 24th in goals against.

Multiple franchises and coaches view him as a third pairing defender when it comes to actual use.

All relevant usage evidence clearly paints a bottom pairing defender.

But yeah, your narrative that he's a run of the mill 3rd pairing guy is super correct.
Outside of this playoff sample he consistently sees third pairing minutes across different teams and coaches. Offensively over his career he averages 19 points across 82 games. If his name was anything other than Zadorov no one would be calling him a middle pairing player.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
See post #79:

See post #58:

Outside of this playoff sample he consistently sees third pairing minutes across different teams and coaches. Offensively over his career he averages 19 points across 82 games. If his name was anything other than Zadorov no one would be calling him a middle pairing player.
You're also talking a team in Calgary that had 4 #2 defensemen. I mean not playing ahead of Weegar, Hanifin, Tanev and Andersson doesn't mean you aren't a top 4 defenseman. Calgary had no #1 guy, but a whole bunch of good D. Heck Kylington was a top 4 guy too before his hiatus. He's playing #3 minutes in Vancouver right now and played top 4 minutes in Colorado. So your point is not really valid. It's like calling Draisaitl a #2 center because he plays #2 minutes in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad