News Article: Zadorov requests trade

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
As is tradition with Flames prospects, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, and Poirier continue to be very underrated. The first two could replace Zadorov's defensive uh 'contributions' without much of an issue right now I suspect. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if they were better defensively if put in the same sheltered role. And if I'm not mistaken, Solovyov in particular has a reputation for laying some big hits in the AHL. Combined with the fact that he'd make a fraction of what Zadorov will likely get and well, you have to look to the future.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Eh this way we can get picks and prospects to help rebuild the pipeline as we graduate guys like Zary, Wolf, Pelletier over the next year. Zad is a nice guy to have but getting the assets back is massive for this team

Depends on the assets. If Connie can get a 1st or two 2nds or something similar sure.

If he's gone for a 3rd or 4th well then what really was the point. Would rather have thrown him a 4 year deal. You need guys in his age range. Can't ice a full rookie team.

Last edited:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Very interesting. I was playing PS5 and just saw this news.
Not sure what to say.
If we're moving him, I hope we get something of value in return.
Hopefully there's a bidding war and someone over pays for him.

I haven't minded Zadorov. Seems like he's capable of so much more than he shows.
He looks amazing sometimes and not so good other times.
Just kind of how the Flames go. Inconsistencies. He's a beast when he's on his game, but he's noticeable when he's not on his game.
I'm torn either way.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I would rather have some players who actually give a shit on this team. You need to keep Zad for the attitude off the ice. Dude cares, can’t say that about 80% of this team some days

This keeps up we are going to be garrrrrbage next year.

But flames hockey is usually hard working. Out work everyone. Zad to a degree exemplifies that. Problem as stated above is it’s inconsistent. But the attitude to teach this kids is right

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
He's definitely grown on me. He just feels he's a second pairing guy and wants the $5Mx5 that often goes with that while playing sheltered 3p minutes and of course currently outperforming that role. He'd be solid at 4Mx4. I'll eat his mistakes for the upside in the third pair or emergency second pair role. More than you want to pay for a third pairing D, but there are those intangibles. Give a f*** attitude, and a good leader despite being relatively young. Just don't see it getting done here. Plz not only a third+ ahl fodder return.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I get both options. I would honestly try to sign him for 3-4 years at about 4 mil or so (4 years I'd even go to 4.5). If we trade him, anything less than a first and B prospect (or First and Second) is not worth it. Yes we have guys with similar styles in our system (Solo being a good example), but as has been mentioned, we are going to need to sign 4-5 guys next year (We have our first pairing signed and that's it). Putting 4 rookies or assorted UFA is risky. Zad gives us 3 guys who know the system, we get 1-2 rookies (one on second pairing with Zad, one on third), that means signing a 5/6 D-man and a 7th, and Zad gives us a lot of passion about the team/game off the ice as well as on the ice.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wonder what we'd have to add to get Pinto out of Ottawa... Or Ridley Grieg, he could be a second generation Flame

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It is upsetting that Zadorov will be the second one out when it should have been Hanifin and Lindholm. That being said, none of them should be Flames by January

Reactions: Tofveve

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
What a way to wake up. I don't blame Big Z. Team has seemingly zero interest in giving him a contract. Love you, Z.

Reactions: joescores

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Time for a full tank job

Ship everyone out and do a proper rebuild

Current group of vets have no chemistry or love for the team.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Time for a full tank job

Ship everyone out and do a proper rebuild

Current group of vets have no chemistry or love for the team.
Except of Z, he loves Calgary but no one is listening, can't blame him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Except of Z, he loves Calgary but no one is listening, can't blame him.
Sure but he is really a role player, bottom pairing dman. Fans love him for his toughness but he will never be a major piece

The moment they locked him up, people are going to be pissed of his bone head plays

Reactions: joescores

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
On the plus side the rumoured preferred destination is the Treliving managed Leafs. Here comes a conditional 1st that is more complicated than the 1st he traded Montreal with Montreal, and some cap dump

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
On the plus side the rumoured preferred destination is the Treliving managed Leafs. Here comes a conditional 1st that is more complicated than the 1st he traded Montreal with Montreal, and some cap dump
Is Klingberg defo finished in NHL?

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Is Klingberg defo finished in NHL?
Honestly if Calgary can get a 1st for Zadorov while having to take Klingberg they should jump on it. A 1st from Toronto has plenty of upside because even if they don’t turn around their season and the selection defers to next season, their cap situation get a lot more complicated with Matthews raise starting and Nylander needing a massive one himself amongst other details (their goaltending situation is hilarious). We staple Klingberg to our top powerplay unit and hide him at 5v5 or even staple him to Tanev, and hopefully rebuild his value to something tangible. If he still suffers he’s done after this year anyways.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
As is tradition with Flames prospects, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, and Poirier continue to be very underrated. The first two could replace Zadorov's defensive uh 'contributions' without much of an issue right now I suspect. Hell, wouldn't be surprised if they were better defensively if put in the same sheltered role. And if I'm not mistaken, Solovyov in particular has a reputation for laying some big hits in the AHL. Combined with the fact that he'd make a fraction of what Zadorov will likely get and well, you have to look to the future.

Between Solo who I think is NHL ready, Flames also have two offensive d studs in Poirier and Morin who will be top 4 guys within a year to 3+ years.

Flames can afford to trade all these UFA d-men with the guys in the pipeline in my opinion. That is if we're re-building anyway, if we actually wanted to contend they ain't ready yet, but in a few more years I think they'd be ready to compete.

Zadorov will fetch at least a 2nd, probably 2 2nds from a desperate GM.

Sucks to see Z want out though, he seems like the only guy who cares.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I still think that Calgary should try and do something like Hanafin and Zad to Toronto for Nylander. Add in whatever you need to to get the job done tbh, then sign that man long term and try and rebuild this god damn team.

Something in that room is wrong, and its not gonna get fixed until we overhaul this roster.

Alternatively, see if Columbus will give us Johnny back for Huber, even retain a bit to make the money work, who gives a shit. Then we can resign Lindholm and move forward.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Part of his current likeable status is his contract and what he brings. I like the guy, don't want to lose him but only for the right price. We'll probably lose him and someone else will come in to serve similarly for 2 or 3 years only to leave because of wanting a bigger contract. The lower D positions are a revolving door it seems.

And like everything it seems management does (not to sound like a negative nancy), the value of this trade likely disappears into nothingness.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The New Jersey Devils are in a bit of a predicament with their defense. After a developing situation on Friday night, they at least have an avenue to address it.

According to ESPN’s Kevin Weekes, Calgary Flames defenseman, Nikita Zadorov has requested a trade.

“Fresh off a goal and big hit tonight against the (Toronto Maple Leafs), I’m told that (defenseman) Zadorov through his agent via (Gold Star Hockey) Dan Milstein has requested a trade from the (Calgary Flames),” Weekes tweeted Friday night.

A source close to Zadorov tells New Jersey Hockey Now that the 6-foot-6, 248 lb defenseman would welcome a trade to the Devils.

“Of course, (he’d go to New Jersey),” the source exclaimed. “Who wouldn’t want to be on a contender?”

Zadorov is in the final year of a two-year contract that pays him $3.75 million and doesn’t own any trade clauses. Currently, the Devils $1,193,478 in current cap space according to Puckpedia. It would take some salary-cap maneuvering, however, the numbers aren’t that far off.

The lines of communication between Calgary and New Jersey are open. General managers Craig Conroy and Tom Fitzgerald have already struck a deal swapping Yegor Sharangovich and Tyler Toffoli. It’s certainly possible the two GMs could help each other out once more.

There’s bound to be plenty of interest in Zadorov. If Fitzgerald is calling, he’s certainly not going to be the only one. We’ll see where this goes.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Calgary Flames defenceman Nikita Zadorov has requested a trade immediately after the team's loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs, as indicated by his agent Dan Milstein on Friday night.

Sportsnet can confirm the defenceman has requested a trade after the news was first reported by ESPN's Kevin Weekes.

Zadorov, 28, is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season and is on the books for $3.75 million.

Sources have indicated to Sportsnet that the Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks are two teams expected to show interest in the defenceman's services. Zadorov doesn't have a no-trade list
and joined the Flames while current Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving was in charge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad