Speculation: Zadorov, Lindholm to Leafs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Admittedly this is my own speculation, although in Zadorov case I'd be surprised if it didn't happen because we know that Treliving already tried to bring Zadorov and Tanev to Toronto via trade when they were with Calgary.

Lindholm isn't based on anything except that Treliving brought Lindholm to Calgary in the first place, and if he does trade Marner you have to somewhat replace him you can't just have a giant gaping hole in your forward group.

So I'm wondering if Treliving targets and signs Lindholm in an effort to help somewhat replace Marner, assuming Marner is dealt because he would still need to agree to go because he does have a full NMC.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think both will be very sought after if they continue to play as well as both have these playoffs. However I would love for my team to try to keep both but the cap is a thing. Toronto would be very smart to look into both these players if they don't re-up in Vancouver.

Reactions: Bond

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Leafs should be looking to bring in 2 good defensemen. 1 from UFA, 1 from Marner trade. Both preferably right handed. Both preferably good at playing actual D and penalty killing. I'd rather balance the cap that way then bring in 1 D 1 forward. That's just me though.

I'd rather go in a different direction than Zadorov, but I wouldn't absolutely hate it if we brought him in. If he's gonna cost $5 million, I would rather spend the same cap or slightly more to bring in a right handed guy like Pesce, Roy, Walker, DeMelo. I guess Pesce would cost more than the other 3.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs should be looking to bring in 2 good defensemen. 1 from UFA, 1 from Marner trade. Both preferably right handed. Both preferably good at playing actual D and penalty killing. I'd rather balance the cap that way then bring in 1 D 1 forward. That's just me though.

I'd rather go in a different direction than Zadorov, but I wouldn't absolutely hate it if we brought him in. If he's gonna cost $5 million, I would rather spend the same cap or slightly more to bring in a right handed guy like Pesce, Roy, Walker, DeMelo. I guess Pesce would cost more than the other 3.

Like I said you can't just have a giant gaping hole in your forward group

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lindholm ends up in Boston. Zadorov will go to the highest bidder. And that could be 6-7 x 7. Not too sure the Leafs would do that.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Lindholm ends up in Boston. Zadorov will go to the highest bidder. And that could be 6-7 x 7. Not too sure the Leafs would do that.
I love Zadorov, I truly do, but any team that gives him more than 5 long term is going to regret it. Amazing player to have, but at some point the cost outweighs the benefit.

I genuinely groaned out loud when we traded for him, but he won me over and then some. Still has warts, but such a fun player and seemingly good character.

Reactions: gianni

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I love Zadorov, I truly do, but any team that gives him more than 5 long term is going to regret it. Amazing player to have, but at some point the cost outweighs the benefit.

I genuinely groaned out loud when we traded for him, but he won me over and then some. Still has warts, but such a fun player and seemingly good character.

The percentage of UFA deals on the open market that are good deals is low. We all have our flat cap glasses on in regards to that.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The percentage of UFA deals on the open market that are good deals is low. We all have our flat cap glasses on in regards to that.

I think anything over 5 is more than an overpay, ala a Coleman style deal, and more of a Gudbranson style large overpay. For what it's worth.

I don't disagree with the principle, but at some point the scale gets too heavily skewed.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Lindholm should stay in van. Better team.maybe 5 years ago Boston was more alluring. Not now

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Why wouldn't they both just stay at a discount on a good up and coming team?

I don't see why Vancouver couldn't re sign them. Who would want to go to Toronto after watching what Marner is going through?

Reactions: gianni

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If Marner goes and Bertuzzi isn't re-signed, there's your cap space.

Zadorov is definitely going to get a rich (for him) deal this summer as he's clearly getting the spotlight, so buyer beware. Otherwise, I do agree that if Treliving has the cap space a big, nasty d-man should be a priority target. Since "nasty" is a rarity, I think he'd settle for big.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It would probably be 12-13 million?

5 for Z.
7-8 for lindholm.
That's about what it would cost.

I'm not sure they're what the Leafs really need though. In my opinion, they'd be better off signing two legit top-4 defensemen. Z can be top-4, but he's better suited to a bottom-pairing role.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Why wouldn't they both just stay at a discount on a good up and coming team?

I don't see why Vancouver couldn't re sign them. Who would want to go to Toronto after watching what Marner is going through?
Z made if clear to the Flames he wouldn't stay for a discount. I'm guessing he also made it clear to the Canucks, or he would have re-signed by now.

Both players are in their late 20s and this is their best shot at a big, long-term deal. I don't see either taking a steep discount. Lindholm might do a cheap, one-year deal to bet on himself if he can't find a long-term deal he likes.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Z made if clear to the Flames he wouldn't stay for a discount. I'm guessing he also made it clear to the Canucks, or he would have re-signed by now.

Both players are in their late 20s and this is their best shot at a big, long-term deal. I don't see either taking a steep discount. Lindholm might do a cheap, one-year deal to bet on himself if he can't find a long-term deal he likes.
Big Z made it clear to the Flames because we were never winning a cup during his next contract. Players can be swayed to take a discount when their current team is good.

That being said, I know who his agent is. So it is unlikely.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This doesn't seem like the best move for Toronto, honestly. Zadorov is great as a complimentary #4/5 guy. He's not great when consistently asked to do more. He really needs a good defensive pair to make up for his mistakes too.

What the Leafs need is a younger version of Tanev.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That’s bananas. I get that Zadorov is having himself a nice playoff run, but he’s consistently been a bottom pairing D his entire career. 5 per is already probably more than he’s really worth.

It is bananas. Someone identifying how much the cap is going up and how much they want his element is going to be stupid and try to project him higher up.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Zad is going to be the new Tyler Myers if he keeps his play up and the team that signs him will immediately regret it lol. Lindholm is probably back in the 7.5 - 8 range.

Reactions: Okanagan

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
"Finally, we are free of the tyranny of having 4 highly paid forwards. At last, we can invest wisely and have a balanced deep roster that can win a 7 game series"

"I mean we could do that...or we can give Lindholm 10M dollars"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad