Zadorov blames the Kings system for their loss

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
My junior coach had a great strategy to beat the trap. He would have the dman just airbomb a high lob to the OZ high slot from their DZ and have the forwards skate onto it. Not like it worked every time but it did cause some chaos and basically rendered the 1-3 part of the setup totally inept. The last D would often panic with the forwards coming at him fast and the puck in the air and bat it right to one of em. Teams would abandon the trap against us because they didn't have an answer.

Always been confused why the coaching at the NHL level can't get creative and scheme up something to beat it reliably. It's not like it's some new system.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly don't think the Canucks have even played the Kings that badly, most of their underlying stats vs the Kings through 3 games this season are pretty solid.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Kings play low event hockey because they lack offensive talent, but this system works for them because they have good defensively sound forwards.

It’s on the Canucks to find a way to break through that system. The last two meetings between these teams were. 2-1 Canucks win and a 3-2 LA win.

LA is beaten with speed and the Canucks are not a speedy transitional team

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kings definitely have a talented group of forwards, it’s not an ability issue. When they don’t play trap they can beat most teams.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The way to beat it is pretty straightforward. Maintain possession entering the o-zone, and don’t make any critical mistakes that the Kings can capitalize on.

The last two Oiler-Kings playoff series bear this out. Get a lead on them and it forces them to adjust hard.

Since TMac was incapable of mid game adjustments, the Kings were kind of screwed. I’d expect Hiller is better at this facet of the game.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Weird inflammatory thread title and openinf post.

Seems like most fans, even fans of teams that employ the trap, find it boring. I feel like most players would feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a hot take to say that the objective of the trap is to bring the game to a halt, or not play hockey and not let the other team play.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So McLellan played the 1-3-1. Now Hiller is playing the 1-3-1. The thing that would bother me as a Kings fan, is that the coach doesn’t really have a say? Why doesn’t Rob Blake just coach the team if hes mandating what the coach has to implement?

The thing I don’t really get, it’s not like Kings have to play this system. They have good players. They have better offensive players than some of the eastern media will give them credit for. Its puzzling to me. I think Blake sucks.

If a coach was implementing the 1-3-1 because they had no offensive talent, and they thought it was the best way to win, I understand it. But that’s not the Kings. Have some faith in your players.
The coach is playing a system that compliments the team that Blake built. Odds are if the new coach played a more uptempo system, LA's aging core couldn't execute it effectively.

The only reason they score often times is because of the handful of guys that stray from the system though. Seeing Fiala take heat from time to time is kinda funny though. Without him or Kempe, LA is a lottery team.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The way to beat it is pretty straightforward. Maintain possession entering the o-zone, and don’t make any critical mistakes that the Kings can capitalize on.

The last two Oiler-Kings playoff series bear this out. Get a lead on them and it forces them to adjust hard.

Since TMac was incapable of mid game adjustments, the Kings were kind of screwed. I’d expect Hiller is better at this facet of the game.
They struggle to defend off the rush, if you can’t maintain possession and allow them to set up, you’ll be in for a bad time

Reactions: Ol' Jase

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
So McLellan played the 1-3-1. Now Hiller is playing the 1-3-1. The thing that would bother me as a Kings fan, is that the coach doesn’t really have a say? Why doesn’t Rob Blake just coach the team if hes mandating what the coach has to implement?

The thing I don’t really get, it’s not like Kings have to play this system. They have good players. They have better offensive players than some of the eastern media will give them credit for. Its puzzling to me. I think Blake sucks.

If a coach was implementing the 1-3-1 because they had no offensive talent, and they thought it was the best way to win, I understand it. But that’s not the Kings. Have some faith in your players.
Why does every Oilers coach always fall into the McDrai trap? Because that’s how Edmonton is built to win currently.

The same can be said for LA and the 1-3-1, coaches do it because it’s the best option they have given how the roster is constructed

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Weird inflammatory thread title and openinf post.

Seems like most fans, even fans of teams that employ the trap, find it boring. I feel like most players would feel the same way. I don’t think it’s a hot take to say that the objective of the trap is to bring the game to a halt, or not play hockey and not let the other team play.
That’s a good take on it.

Kings are a bit like Vegas in the sense that it can be easy to hang yourself with the rope they do give.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It can beat some teams, I mean the kings since Todd was fired (I dont recall kings games being this boring under todd despite the 1-3-1 comments, they forechecked alot harder i recall) have beaten alot of good teams playing this way, and it is brutal to watch.

But god help them if they play a team like the avs, sitting back is what the avs want and they will just shell you.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Why does every Oilers coach always fall into the McDrai trap? Because that’s how Edmonton is built to win currently.

The same can be said for LA and the 1-3-1, coaches do it because it’s the best option they have given how the roster is constructed
Exactly. Also I think it’s a bit late in the season to change their system. The thing with Hiller though he’s willing to change things up during the game. The kings weren’t even on their game, it was very mechanical win.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Exactly. Also I think it’s a bit late in the season to change their system. The thing with Hiller though he’s willing to change things up during the game. The kings weren’t even on their game, it was very mechanical win.
Vancouver has been able to coast for the majority of this season with little adversity outside a couple major injuries. These are the games they need to lose and get frustrated over and learn from. Kings have given them a taste of playoff hockey the last two meetings

I don’t disagree with this logic, good teams can overcome the system which is why the Canucks couldn’t.
Canucks have led the division and remained a top team in the league for most of the season, they’ve been a far better team than LA this year

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
People are on here acting like the puck drops, and LA goes automatically into a 1-3-1.....from the start of the game til the end of the game....when in reality, they drop into 1-3-1, when they CLEARLY lose possession or they dump and go change so the opponent has an easy out of the zone etc,

It happens roughly a dozen times a game, and people act like it's a full 60 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad