Recalled/Assigned: Zadorov and Bigras Recalled from San Antonio | Gormley Sent To SA

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If Roy trusts one of the kids over NewBalls, why did we even pick him up on waivers? This could have been done a week ago.

I don't think the moves are related. I think they just haven't got what they expected out of Gormley and saw someone on the waiver wire they thought could do better.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think the moves are related. I think they just haven't got what they expected out of Gormley and saw someone on the waiver wire they thought could do better.

There was someone in the AHL that could do better!

Just seems like we needed another mediocre bottom pairing defender like we needed a hole in the head.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I agree that it makes the bodybychuck even stranger. They cant have liked him THAT much over what they had in Bigras and Zads to put them at max.
Now they gotta deal with it. It just seems like mismanagement to me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Part of it could be because Noreau and Clark both hadn't come back from injury yet (they made it through a 3 in 3 over the weekend so they are fine now) before gutting it down there, Roy getting pissed over what he saw the last two games and decided to give the talent a roll finally, change in prognosis on EJ and/or Stuart, getting close(r) to a deal or combo of all. I still don't think any FO is high enough to claim a 50th contract for fun though, this story isn't over.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Last night must have been really, really bad. :laugh:

This is about the best news I've read about the Avs all season.

vwMin.gif

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

Just seems like we needed another mediocre bottom pairing defender like we needed a hole in the head.

Roy said he wants Zadorov, 20, to develop by watching as much as playing. "I said all along we're going to use our eight Ds, and that's what we've been doing," Roy said. "Z is a long-term project for us."

again, long term projects turn to short term projects when you are fighting for a playoff berth .... Roy would rather go back on his words than miss the playoffs

"I'm here to win the Stanley Cup," Roy said. "I'm not in Denver to see us missing the playoffs, I'm here to see us winning. I really want to make sure that's the last time we're missing the playoffs. It makes you very humble. First time I missed the playoffs as a coach in junior and the NHL."

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, last night was really, really bad. The crowd had no energy because the Avs couldn't get out of their zone. It was domination from start to finish.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I just really hope Roy finally realizes Tangs is done and quits shoving him in the top 6, Grigs really needs an extended look there.

Grigs-Mack-Dutchy
Lando-Soda-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla
McLeod-Martinsen/Wagner-Skille

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

That someone shouldn't be sitting on the bench like Gormley was or Bodnarchuk/Redmond will be (if "someone" can stay on the roster) when everyone is healthy. Think long term. Like I said, I think the timing was just a coincidence. I think they have been kind of weary of Gormley for awhile now (and Guenin too) and would have picked up Bodnarchuk weeks ago if he had become available then. I don't think EJ had anything to do with the claim.

People complain about our bottom/depth defenders constantly. Trying to upgrade at that position is not a bad thing. Gormley obviously had something keeping him off the ice. Guenin has now been waived. Bodnarchuk might even force Redmond to the bench. That would be 3 guys he jumped.

Bodnarchuk was brought in to upgrade our depth/bottom pair.

Bigras and Zadorov are being brought in to upgrade our talent level because that's really lacking with EJ out. They tried to go with plugs and hope that they could hold it together for a few games while EJ was out. But the last two games show that they just can't. So now we are hoping the talented kids don't make too many rookie mistakes.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'll be fine with the kids making their rookie mistakes now and just getting those growing pains out of the way and starting to build that NHL experience they're going to need long term. Despite this team still being in the thick of the chase for a playoff spot - I don't think many people think they've got any chance of making any sort of deep playoff run even if they made it in, so lets give these guys a chance to make their mistakes, adjust, and be ready to make a legitimate push next season.

I don't think that's how the organization (or at least Roy) sees it, but that's the best scenario in my opinion.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I just really hope Roy finally realizes Tangs is done and quits shoving him in the top 6, Grigs really needs an extended look there.

Grigs-Mack-Dutchy
Lando-Soda-Comeau
Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla
McLeod-Martinsen/Wagner-Skille
Only 5 more games until Rantanen can't hit the 40 game mark in the NHL this season. Just like we saw Zadorov and Bigras called up today, I think Rantanen gets another look soon to see if he can help solve the wing issues.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
If you're bringing up the young guys that can contribute, might as well bring them all up and possible fix a HUGE top 6 void that Tangs clearly can't fill.

I have no issues burning a year on his ELC because he has the ability to bring a lot to this team and really prep for next season.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Only 5 more games until Rantanen can't hit the 40 game mark in the NHL this season. Just like we saw Zadorov and Bigras called up today, I think Rantanen gets another look soon to see if he can help solve the wing issues.

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what's the importance of the 40 game mark?

The only issue I see with bringing Rantanen up is who sits. Not that I would have a problem with sitting some guys, but I just can't see Roy sitting any of the forwards.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
If I recall correctly, 10 games is the limit for burning a year on his ELC, but 40 games would burn an RFA year which is obviously really valuable.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Roy trusts one of the kids over NewBalls, why did we even pick him up on waivers? This could have been done a week ago.

Same reason they traded a 2nd for Berra when they quickly needed a back up goalie while they could of just brought up Pickard. They keep making panic moves

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you're bringing up the young guys that can contribute, might as well bring them all up and possible fix a HUGE top 6 void that Tangs clearly can't fill.

I have no issues burning a year on his ELC because he has the ability to bring a lot to this team and really prep for next season.

The issue isn't starting his ELC. It's him gaining UFA rights a whole year sooner.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
The issue isn't starting his ELC. It's him gaining UFA rights a whole year sooner.

Right, I was mostly replying to TMV comment which mentioned the 5 more games before he won't burn the UFA year, I just know some people are also concerned about losing a year on his ELC but that's basically peanuts as far as I'm concerned compared to what he can bring/the experience he can get coming up this year once he can't hit 40 games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad