Zadina to Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
I don’t get it.

I don’t see why he walked.

Why not get buyed out make the money and sign elsewhere for league minimum/1 year?

Plain delusion or extreme confidence.
Someone will take a chance on someone with a chip on their shoulder.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'd do it, but I'm not sure it would be a contract or number that Zadina would go for.

I'd prefer a two-way deal first year and one-way the second year. It would give a buffer to try and move on from Hoffman and/or Armia. My offer would be two years. $1 million year one. $3 million year two. If he doesn't make the lineup in September, it's not a huge impact on the cap. The extra year means he likely goes unclaimed if you send him down. The extra year at $3 million gives him some security and a number to use for bargaining his next contract as if he were an arb eligible player.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Who have Habs brought in the last few years?

LoL I know- that why I asked?
Some say things with no backup at all

No idea who you are friend, some of us have work, and family responsibilities (and a visit to the chiropractor) that take precedence over replying to “Iarek” and “Habspepsi”, the HF oracles.

Not sure what your definition of a “few years” is but off the top of my head:

1 - Karl Alzner. Still paying him in fact. Brought in on his pedigree alone, even though he himself admitted he was done.

2 - Jonathan Drouin. Brought in at the expense of a top prospect after quitting on his previous team, gifted top Center spot and signed to huge deal that finally ended.

Those two moves cost the organization years of setbacks. Now we’re moving first and second round picks in a rebuild, for another former first rounder that hasn’t proven anything yet? I don’t like it and I don’t have a good feeling about it - I hope I’ve explained myself to your satisfaction.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No idea who you are friend, some of us have work, and family responsibilities (and a visit to the chiropractor) that take precedence over replying to “Iarek” and “Habspepsi”, the HF oracles.

1 - Karl Alzner. Still paying him in fact. Brought in on his pedigree alone, even though he himself admitted he was done.

2 - Jonathan Drouin. Brought in at the expense of a top prospect after quitting on his previous team, gifted top Center spot and signed to huge deal that finally ended.

Those two moves cost the organization years of setbacks. Now we’re moving first and second round picks in a rebuild, for another former first rounder that hasn’t proven anything yet? I don’t like it and I don’t have a good feeling about it - I hope I’ve explained myself to your satisfaction.
I understand the conern, but we moved a 13OA + 66th for Dach when that seemed iffy too.

It comes down to whether Newhook has the talent and drive to succeed in our program. Let's see. If he does, the picks were worth it.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

Alzner was a flop, but a signing meant to be a middle pairing defender that gets bought out and means retention of 800k on the cap through 2023-24 doesn't set a team back.

There's no question Drouin didn't work out, but we have no way of knowing what Sergachev would have accomplished here. He wouldn't have been anywhere near as sheltered as he has been in Tampa. He wouldn't have had Cooper for a coach.

IMO, the greatest reason for setbacks and stagnation is complete lack of quality player development and head coaches between 2012 and 2022.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Alzner was a flop, but a signing meant to be a middle pairing defender that gets bought out and means retention of 800k on the cap through 2023-24 doesn't set a team back.

You're right that it's all a matter of deghree. Letting Danault and Tatar walk for nothing while extending Gallagher for ridiculous term and AAV set us back way, way more than signing Alner.

There's no question Drouin didn't work out, but we have no way of knowing what Sergachev would have accomplished here. He wouldn't have been anywhere near as sheltered as he has been in Tampa. He wouldn't have had Cooper for a coach.

IMO, the greatest reason for setbacks and stagnation is complete lack of quality player development and head coaches between 2012 and 2022.
LOL. The way Larry Robinson was sheltered by Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard for the first 4 years of his career?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd do it, but I'm not sure it would be a contract or number that Zadina would go for.

I'd prefer a two-way deal first year and one-way the second year. It would give a buffer to try and move on from Hoffman and/or Armia. My offer would be two years. $1 million year one. $3 million year two. If he doesn't make the lineup in September, it's not a huge impact on the cap. The extra year means he likely goes unclaimed if you send him down. The extra year at $3 million gives him some security and a number to use for bargaining his next contract as if he were an arb eligible player.
He would still have arbitration rights in July 2025 in that case and it insantity to offer $3M for the second year, and a $2M AAV to this player.

He needs to completely re-start.

I berlieve he agreed to termination because he was not really leaving $4.5M on the table, but $1.5 since a buyout of a player under 25 costs 1/3 of remaining salary. They have talked about this for a while it seems.

I bet that Zadina's main motivation is not wanting to play in the AHL at any cost, and that he would prefer to go to Europe instead. If the Habs were to really believe in his potential, and that he has the skating ability to meet their standards, they should offer him a 2 year deal at just over the buriable amount, for example 2 x $1.25M. That will beat out the bottom feeder bids without incurring too much risk, and Zadina may want a shot at playing for MSL. But if someone else wants to give him $2M, just let them.

Personally, I would not run with him. I'd go so far as to say that I would prefer offering that same deal to Gurianov. He has shown more than Zadina.

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He would still have arbitration rights in July 2025 in that case and it insantity to offer $3M for the second year, and a $2M AAV to this player.

He needs to completely re-start.

I berlieve he agreed to termination because he was not really leaving $4.5M on the table, but $1.5 since a buyout of a player under 25 costs 1/3 of remaining salary. They have talked about this for a while it seems.

I bet that Zadina's main motivation is not wanting to play in the AHL at any cost,
and that he would prefer to go to Europe instead. If the Habs were to really believe in his potential, and that he has the skating ability to meet their standards, they should offer him a 2 year deal at just over the buriable amount, for example 2 x $1.25M. That will beat out the bottom feeder bids without incurring too much risk, and Zadina may want a shot at playing for MSL. But if someon else wants to give him $2M, just let them.

Personally, I would not both with him. I'd go so far as to say that I would prefer offering that same deal to Gurianov. He has shown mnore than Zadina.
I'm sure that's at least part of the case.

As noted on the main board, and eluded to here with my prefacing statement, my desired offer would be one he likely wouldn't like. First year two-way. But I'm also a realist, and I don't think he signs for league minimum or two-way.

So, you could let him go back to Europe for a year or two to find his game and when he's ready to come back he costs you more. You also don't get him into your system to have your dev team working with him.

I don't think that's insanity, but you do you.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You're right that it's all a matter of deghree. Letting Danault and Tatar walk for nothing while extending Gallagher for ridiculous term and AAV set us back way, way more than signing Alner.

LOL. The way Larry Robinson was sheltered by Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard for the first 4 years of his career?
I think it's a stretch to consider Sergachev the next Larry Robinson. That said, aside from Shea, we didn't have anyone that could get within ear shot of the hall of fame to mentor him. Fact is, that Tampa roster and coaching staff are full of guys destined for the hall of fame. It's been a much better place to grow as a player. If Sergachev were still here, it's fair to think he wouldn't have reached the level he has in Tampa. HuGo are trying to flip that script, but it's going to take time.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Wtf?? All that because of my one - two line reply??
We all have families and responsibilities
Not sure what you meant!
But a little dramatic for my little post
Have a Sanka and relax LoL
Adding Drouin was a bigtime trade at the time so that's a whole different deal
U probably liked the deal at the time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure what you meant!
I hated it. I believed the Habs when they said Sergachev had Norris vote potential.

Am I now supposed to think it was a 4-D chess move due to Bergevin realizing that without Lapointe and Savard, Sergachev was not going to hit his potential, as others have suggested, but at the same time - Drouin going to explode forwards learning from Tomas Plekanec?

I'm sure that's at least part of the case.

As noted on the main board, and eluded to here with my prefacing statement, my desired offer would be one he likely wouldn't like. First year two-way. But I'm also a realist, and I don't think he signs for league minimum or two-way.

So, you could let him go back to Europe for a year or two to find his game and when he's ready to come back he costs you more. You also don't get him into your system to have your dev team working with him.

I don't think that's insanity, but you do you.
The problem is having almost a million of cap hit for two years for what (if he is assigned to EUR)? It can't be important enough to risk that.

Last edited:

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hated it. I believed the Habs when they said Sergachev had Norris vote potential.

Am I now supposed to think it was a 4-D chess move due to Bergevin realizing that without Lapointe and Savard, Sergachev was not going to hit his potential, as others have suggested, but at the same time - Drouin going to explode forwards learning from Tomas Plekanec?

The problem is having almost a million of cap hit for two years for what (if he is assigned to EUR)? It can't be important enough to risk that.
I didn't like it either - Drouin already had some problems in TB
Bad deal at the time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I didn't like it either - Drouin already had some problems in TB
Bad deal at the time
TB were possibly going to lose him in the expansion draft for nothing- we should have been able to get him by moving a player also close to the line but perhaps exempt - not a highly touted draft-exempt defenceman with 7 years of cost control on him!!

No way we would have noved Michel-Serge Acheve for John Drone.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
TB were possibly going to lose him in the expansion draft for nothing- we shoyld have been able to get him by moving a player also close to the line but perhaps exempt - not a highly touted draft-exempt defenceman with 7 years of cost control on him!!

Don't forget that we added a 2nd rounder too. We gave up the more valuable asset AND added.

Imagine trading Reinbacher and a 2nd for Lafreniere right now.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Don't forget that we added a 2nd rounder too. We gave up the more valuable asset AND added.

...luckily, that 2nd didn't end up going to Tampa because Serg played in over 41 games that year...dumb luck and injuries saved Bargain Bin from even more embarrassment there...

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
TB were possibly going to lose him in the expansion draft for nothing- we shoyld have been able to get him by moving a player also close to the line but perhaps exempt - not a highly touted draft-exempt defenceman with 7 years of cost control on him!!

Exactly!!!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

The second was conditional. We did send a 2018 second. But if Segachev played at least 40 NHL games in 2017-18, TB had to give it back. If not, they would give Montreal their 6th rounder.

Sergachev played 96 games as a 19 year old The pick swap was cancelled.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Not sure what you meant!
Nah
You took some unnecessary
Shots at me
And giggled about “don’t expect a reply”
From your fans

I was always against the Drouin trade