Zadina is getting ready

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I really hope we see the puck start to go in for him more, especially now that we have an actual PPQB for him to play with, rather Hronek.

I still don't think he will pan out to the level I had him pre-draft as a borderline superstar scorer, but I think he will be a useful 2nd line RW for a long, long time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exactly. He probably missed about 5 wide open nets because he couldn't handle a hot pass coming from some of our trash forwards.

It would help if he had to handle fewer bad passes. For everyone wondering why some guys don't produce as they did or should...we don't have many guys who can make a halfway decent pass especially on the backend. Hopefully we start seeing a shift in that this year with leddy and seider up, and maybe Raymond/Berggren getting time up front.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It would help if he had to handle fewer bad passes. For everyone wondering why some guys don't produce as they did or should...we don't have many guys who can make a halfway decent pass especially on the backend. Hopefully we start seeing a shift in that this year with leddy and seider up, and maybe Raymond/Berggren getting time up front.

I get that, and I think the same thing about improved passing on defense and the possibility of having guys like Suter, Veleno, Vrana and maybe Berggren will help.

I will say that one of the traits that the very best goalscorers in the NHL all have is the ability to handle a hot pass, settle it down and turn a knucklepuck of a pass into a shot on net. Recent players that I can think of doing that were Marian Gaborik, Rick Nash and Jarome Iginla. Those are guys that I watched repeatedly turn nothing into something. I'm hoping Zadina can also develop that skill this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a big year for Zadina, glad to see him working on something that will improve his game.

Along with handling the passes a little better this year like some are saying, I would throw out there, just like in the video where he actually is shooting from is important too. He needs to find a way to drive the middle more often, especially on the PP. The more prime real estate he can take the better the scoring chance. I think he will take a step forward this year, he has been rounding his game a lot, he just needs to re-trust his skill and I believe that should happen offensively this year.

Reactions: David D

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I really hope we see the puck start to go in for him more, especially now that we have an actual PPQB for him to play with, rather Hronek.

I still don't think he will pan out to the level I had him pre-draft as a borderline superstar scorer, but I think he will be a useful 2nd line RW for a long, long time.

You thinking a Nyquist/Tatar level player?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's creative, never seen that kind of shooting drill. :thumbu:
Meh, I've seen all sorts of self passes in stick and puck sessions. The issue I have here is that it isn't a typical pass situation unless they set up a player at the goal line on the PP. Usually the puck is coming from the opposite circle, and that's where he whiffed a few times. It's much easier to hit a puck that's coming at you straight on.

There other issue is that he isn't utilizing the other player kneeling on the ice. Self passes are what you do when you're alone. He should be set up on the right side taking one timers from the guy in white.

It's also hard to tell in this video how much velocity he's getting. That's a very short windup.

Reactions: David D

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Sure. To a degree.

And then Vrana comes in and proves that goal scorers score goals.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You thinking a Nyquist/Tatar level player?

I think he's still got the stickhandling and hands to be silkier than Tatar - who was a bit spazzy even at his best.
I don't think he's as skilled as Nyquist, but he'll be tougher than Gus.

It's hard to project Zadina. A lot of it will depend on chemistry and whether or not we have better players.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Meh, I've seen all sorts of self passes in stick and puck sessions. The issue I have here is that it isn't a typical pass situation unless they set up a player at the goal line on the PP. Usually the puck is coming from the opposite circle, and that's where he whiffed a few times. It's much easier to hit a puck that's coming at you straight on.

There other issue is that he isn't utilizing the other player kneeling on the ice. Self passes are what you do when you're alone. He should be set up on the right side taking one timers from the guy in white.

It's also hard to tell in this video how much velocity he's getting. That's a very short windup.
My impression from the video is that it's a drill where the opposing goalie makes the initial save and the rebound is then snap-shot'd over the netmiders shoulder as to simulate a game experience.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, passing is the key. Everybody should be able to make good passes. That's why Blashill turned Zadina making more plays, but people here a freaking out when we are KILLING THAT SHOOTING ELEMENT out of him. :laugh: They are not killing anything, they are ADDING, and making him more complete.

That practise is interestin, it's like reacting on a rebound from a goalie. Has nothing to do with passing, more of situations after point-shots. It's just reacting. Going for a rebound.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Zadina really looked good last year at the beginning of the season, than he got Covid, which had to have affected him the rest of the season as well as threw off any of his progress. He was literally one of the best forwards before than but never really got back to what he was at the beginning of the season

Reactions: bedtime20

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Zadina really looked good last year at the beginning of the season, than he got Covid, which had to have affected him the rest of the season as well as threw off any of his progress. He was literally one of the best forwards before than but never really got back to what he was at the beginning of the season
We're still trying to push this?
Zadina

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I'm still not sold on Zadina as being part of our core (i.e. Top 6 Winger on our team in two years). The talent is there, he has an absurd snap shot that's very quick, deceptive, and accurate and I do think he has a good general feel for the flow of the offense in terms of finding open space and being ready to rip a shot. But he's pretty one dimensional. He doesn't bring much else to the table other than that.

In a way, he reminds of Poor Man's, Mini-Brett Hull (not meant as an insult, more the type of player he is). That being said, if you actually put Zadina with a semi-competent, two-way setup up man who could create a lane for him, have the vision to recognize where Zadina is on the ice or where he's going to be, and minimum level of skill to deliver that puck so Zadina could rip off a shot, could we see him be our top goal scoring finisher? Yeah, I think it's in the realm of possibility. Its why I'm so curious to see Zadina with a guy like Suter. Suter isn't exactly Sidney Crosby, but he's probably the most complete C that Zadina could have potentially played with to this point and I'm wondering if we'll get a sense of his ceiling this year

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yup, the circular logic is kinda funny here sometimes...

Zadina would have more points if he had better linemates, Larkin would have more points if he had better wingers, etc.

Maybe they just need to be better players.
I don't see why both can't be true.

A player improves his own ability -> he scores more goals.
A player's teammates improve their passing ability -> he scores more goals.
Both happen -> he scores MORE more goals.
Some players benefit from one more than the other, but everyone will benefit from both at least a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad