Zack Smith

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
What the fudge happened to him? Back in 2011 it looked like he was becoming a very good 3rd line center. Since then his play is slowly going downhill. Now he barely looks like an NHLer and takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I think management and coaching have forced him to try and become a more rounded player and he has failed miserably at it. If he can go back to being a pest he would have much more success.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think management and coaching have forced him to try and become a more rounded player and he has failed miserably at it. If he can go back to being a pest he would have much more success.

I think he is just too comfortable, some games (one in 20 lately) he starts moving his feet and BAM. Impact third liner, he floats and barely hits most of the time. This isn't going to keep him in the lineup with the depth that the sens have coming up. I think he needs to watch a game from the press box should give him a different perspective.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
winchester was always better than him

smith is just going through the motions now. too comfortable

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Dumb penalties like the one last night? When the puck was long gone and Brown hit him, then shoved him, and Smith shoved back? And was the only one to get called?

Or we can just have players that get pushed around, and you guys would ***** that we're a bunch of *******.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Most teams would like a guy like Smith in their bottom six.

He plays on the third line....so what if he didn't turn into a complete package, players rarely do, and we did not need him to.

I put him in the Condra camp. He is not well-rounded, but he has a defined role, and delivers provides value for money.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dumb penalties like the one last night? When the puck was long gone and Brown hit him, then shoved him, and Smith shoved back? And was the only one to get called?

Or we can just have players that get pushed around, and you guys would ***** that we're a bunch of *******.

He didn't shove him, he punched him in the head.

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There was that interesting bit of wisdom from Potvin where he said being "tough" sometimes was about taking abuse when the game calls for it.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
At one point I was excited about his shooting ability. I'm not sure what happened to that.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Not that I want to move him, but I am sure a team like Edmonton would snatch him up in a second. They need some grit in their bottom 6.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Most teams would like a guy like Smith in their bottom six.

He plays on the third line....so what if he didn't turn into a complete package, players rarely do, and we did not need him to.

I put him in the Condra camp. He is not well-rounded, but he has a defined role, and delivers provides value for money.

He takes bad penalties, can't play in his own zone and can't contribute offensively. This is a player everyone wants on their 3rd line? I don't buy that.

Condra creates lots of opportunities, is an elite penalty killer and can play on any line. Smith and Condra are very far apart in terms of their ability to contribute to a winning team.

Last edited:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He's takes bad penalties, can't play in his own zone and can't contribute offensively. This is a player everyone wants on their 3rd line? I don't buy that.

Condra creates lots of opportunities, is an elite penalty killer and can play on any line. Smith and Condra are very far apart in terms of their ability to contribute to a winning team.

I did't say they were comprable players, only that they each have a defined role.

I agree he lacks discipline, but that can be addressed.

Throw up a "value of Zack Smith" thread on the main board, and I think you will get modest proposals from many. Fans don't represent the views of GM's, but I believe that people perceive him to be valuable in the role he is assigned.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There was that interesting bit of wisdom from Potvin where he said being "tough" sometimes was about taking abuse when the game calls for it.

I was listening to the LA broadcast (who are quite good) but this is why I really like Potvin

That's something that's applicable to all walks of life

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Funnily enough, that's exactly what Brown did. He took the shove to the face and shrugged it off instead of retaliating, and that's what got them the PP.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Salary? But,

Michalek-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Condra-Pageau-Hemsky
Greening-Da Costa/Zibanejad-Neil

:)

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
Leave Zack Alone!!!

ZackSmithLunge.gif

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
SMith has struggled to start the year, but he's still one of the few tough forwards the Sens can throw out there. Right now he sin't helping much, but the Sens are going to get even softer up front if they lose him.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He didn't shove him, he punched him in the head.

I'm sorry, but that's just stupid.

Sorry I was watching the Kings' feed and the replay was from the rafters.

Just watched it on the Ottawa feed and saw it was a facewash.

So not a shove, but hardly a punch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad