Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
@Drivesaitl: "Its about players being engaged and buying in or not. When vet players check out the team suffers immensely. Kass without a doubt was checked out. Who knows why."

This definitely is true. But I wonder at what causes a player to check out. I am always hesitant to purely blame it on a guy not wanting to stay in the NHL or try for the team. Sure, it happens, but these are professionals. They busted their asses to get here. They, almost without fail, hate losing (sure, some, like McDavid, more than others). They don't just finally make it and go "eeeeeeehhhhhh I'm good". I tend to be fairly forgiving of up and down players for not always being mentally ready - it's a skill you need to play professionally as much as stickhandling, and some guys (again, most notably, McDavid and Crosby) are just better at it than others. Its mentally exhausting to bring this kind of level every day. And a guy like Kassian, who has so obviously had serious mental health/addiction issues, I'm sure struggles with it more than the average NHL player.

That doesn't excuse it necessarily - no one should read my posts as refusing to trade Kassian if we can upgrade on him. He's absolutely in the 'expendable' tier of player. He's just also a useful player that I'm not looking to dump just because (see: Brandon Manning).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Drivesaitl: "Its about players being engaged and buying in or not. When vet players check out the team suffers immensely. Kass without a doubt was checked out. Who knows why."

This definitely is true. But I wonder at what causes a player to check out. I am always hesitant to purely blame it on a guy not wanting to stay in the NHL or try for the team. Sure, it happens, but these are professionals. They busted their asses to get here. They, almost without fail, hate losing (sure, some, like McDavid, more than others). They don't just finally make it and go "eeeeeeehhhhhh I'm good". I tend to be fairly forgiving of up and down players for not always being mentally ready - it's a skill you need to play professionally as much as stickhandling, and some guys (again, most notably, McDavid and Crosby) are just better at it than others. Its mentally exhausting to bring this kind of level every day. And a guy like Kassian, who has so obviously had serious mental health/addiction issues, I'm sure struggles with it more than the average NHL player.

That doesn't excuse it necessarily - no one should read my posts as refusing to trade Kassian if we can upgrade on him. He's absolutely in the 'expendable' tier of player. He's just also a useful player that I'm not looking to dump just because (see: Brandon Manning).

Brodziak certainly needs to go. Looks like he doesn't want to be here consistently. People say Rieder needs to go, but I'm convinced he;s playing injured and not 100%. Where did the speed go. I've watched this player for years and the speed just isn't there since the injury he suffered. he's game, playing sound positionally and has the lowest GA of any player on the team (broke up two potential goals last night) but I realize people are furious he hasn't scored. I would have him, but I suspect he's gone.

I would keep Kass, but I would have him being checked on regularly have regular coaching engagments with him. I sense he's a player that needs more contacts, more meetings, which is fine. he's a valuable player with skill. he's quite clearly the most skilled bottomsix player on this team and I'm including present day Milan Lucic Rex in that. ;)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Brodziak certainly needs to go. Looks like he doesn't want to be here consistently. People say Rieder needs to go, but I'm convinced he;s playing injured and not 100%. Where did the speed go. I've watched this player for years and the speed just isn't there since the injury he suffered. he's game, playing sound positionally and has the lowest GA of any player on the team (broke up two potential goals last night) but I realize people are furious he hasn't scored. I would have him, but I suspect he's gone.

I would keep Kass, but I would have him being checked on regularly have regular coaching engagments with him. I sense he's a player that needs more contacts, more meetings, which is fine. he's a valuable player with skill. he's quite clearly the most skilled bottomsix player on this team and I'm including present day Milan Lucic Rex in that. ;)

I wish the bolded happened with all of our regular roster players and important prospects, but I'm very confident it happens with none of them. Bleh.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For clarity I'm fine with Kass and Khaira being up and down players that appear much better at some times, than others, and that struggle with finish or offense, that's all fine. But reasonable players, that are reasonably engaged, when they are struggling, they are still doing the other right things. Still focused positionally, still engaged in system.

My main concern with Kassian, again, is his EVGA, which for a vet is way too high for a player playing bottomsix almost constantly. His weird problem is he forgets any sense of positional play in EV, while being fine in PK. If I'm a coach I'm confronting the disparity of how a player that knows how to play pk is not playing EV well.

I don't much like Remenda but one thing he brings up a lot is how often Kass is on the wrong side of contain in own zone. That he watches and lets a cover player get between him and own net commonly. Which of course contributes to his uncanny EVGA. Really any player that is above 3EVGA/60mins playing bottomsix minutes is playing poorly. That's a stat that shouldn't be happening to a 28yr old vet player against middling opposition.

Its about players being engaged and buying in or not. When vet players check out the team suffers immensely. Kass without a doubt was checked out. Who knows why.
Kassian usually does get on the wrong side in the D zone, I don’t know if it’s cheating for offense or just being unaware.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian usually does get on the wrong side in the D zone, I don’t know if it’s cheating for offense or just being unaware.

Yep. here we are punters being aware of this. Remenda is aware of it in broadcasts, some media have called it out. It seems like the kind of coaching thing that would get addressed in review of game film. yet it persisted throughout McLellan being here, has improved with Hitchcock. Not calling out respective coaching in that, but I wonder if McLellan was just kind of done repeating himself all the time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This is one part of his game that definitely needs improvement. That said I did see more moments in the Vancouver game that were encouraging.
Based on recent interviews I dont think that Zach is under any illusions that he will be a full time top line player moving forward. Quite the contrary.
It seems to me that instead of getting comfortable in his new found top 6 role Zach has recognized that being versatile is his ticket to future success. He looks to me like he is trying to improve his overall game so that he can be a legit option in the top 6 from time to time. I think he is trying to be a player that can be trusted by the coach and used anywhere.
If he can pull it off thats very good value for a $1.9M player.

Reactions: harpoon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is one part of his game that definitely needs improvement. That said I did see more moments in the Vancouver game that were encouraging.
Based on recent interviews I dont think that Zach is under any illusions that he will be a full time top line player moving forward. Quite the contrary.
It seems to me that instead of getting comfortable in his new found top 6 role Zach has recognized that being versatile is his ticket to future success. He looks to me like he is trying to improve his overall game so that he can be a legit option in the top 6 from time to time. I think he is trying to be a player that can be trusted by the coach and used anywhere.
If he can pull it off thats very good value for a $1.9M player.
He is extremely versatile, between his speed and size and some skill, he should be able to play up and down the lineup and not hurt you.

Most of his problems are between the ears IMO

Reactions: guymez

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've noticed Kassian has been scrutinized heavily since Gagner joined the team.

There was one idiot blogger suggesting trading Kassian for a third would help the team moving forward. Also happens to be a huge Gagner fan.

Kassian has his issues but he is rather obviously one of our better players. Perfect no. Good yes. He makes our team better and has the speed to play in the current environment.

Think there are a lot of Gagner sympathizers looking for faults.

Reactions: Uindicator

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Kassian continues to play at a high level. He was a big reason why the team won tonight.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was the best player on the top line tonight, been bringing it consistently for months now but only being noticed recently because he's playing with skill and to think that there were some people who were more than happy to part with him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Even if he's not scoring, he brings a lot to this team with forecheck, PK ability and physicality. Not to mention that he's one of the real glue guys on this team that everybody gravitates towards. Imp0rtant player for this team going forward even if he doesn't stick in the top 6 long term.
He will always have a bonehead play or two here and there but the good outweighs the bad with this player.

Reactions: Faelko

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He was the best player on the top line tonight, been bringing it consistently for months now but only being noticed recently because he's playing with skill and to think that there were some people who were more than happy to part with him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Agreed 100%

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Hes playing the complementary role we had when Maroon rolled with these two. With an extra gear.

What a turnaround though. Went from the trade request rumours to being a key factor in these wins.

Since that San Jose series two years ago, he always seemed disinterested. Hes obviously engaged at this moment. We need this Kassian badly.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Even if he's not scoring, he brings a lot to this team with forecheck, PK ability and physicality. Not to mention that he's one of the real glue guys on this team that everybody gravitates towards. Imp0rtant player for this team going forward even if he doesn't stick in the top 6 long term.
He will always have a bonehead play or two here and there but the good outweighs the bad with this player.

It was a major problem far too often but Kassian has eliminated the stupid plays from his game for a while now.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was a major problem far too often but Kassian has eliminated the stupid plays from his game for a while now.
If anything it looks like he’s now trying to goad opponents into taking the stupid penalties. Several times tonight he had his stick up chirping somebody, but was very careful to not cross any lines. Dare I say there’s a little diving creeping into his game too?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If anything it looks like he’s now trying to goad opponents into taking the stupid penalties. Several times tonight he had his stick up chirping somebody, but was very careful to not cross any lines. Dare I say there’s a little diving creeping into his game too?

If I am to be completely honest I didnt think he would ever be able to elevate his game like he has. I didnt think he was capable of being a smart player.
So far he is proving me wrong...very wrong. :nod:

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
If anything it looks like he’s now trying to goad opponents into taking the stupid penalties.

Team player.
giphy.gif

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Team player.
giphy.gif
Yup. Perfect example. I asked @Del Preston to gif that because it was so obvious that Kassian planned that all the way. Times the turn perfectly. Leans in a bit to make sure he doesnt get hurt. Stupid Gally. The best part is the comical look of feigned disbelief and outrage on Kass’s face as he’s rolling around on the ice.

Hated Kassian for his cheap shot on Gagner. Never would have believed I’d change my mind on the player, but here we are in 2019 and he’s one of my favourite players on the team. I’d love to buy his jersey, but I won’t support Katz with even a cent of my money. It’s a shame. :(

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Kassian is one of my favorite players. Need guys like him. He even makes Connor laugh with his cool antics. ie. last games eye wipe after his goal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know his cap hit is a tad high, but I hope they find a way to keep him around beyond next season. Much love for the Assassin.
After the comments about Hendricks I don't see how they move Kassian. Not unless they get a massive overpayment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah moving Hendricks was such a mistake.
The character the guy brought helped the team. When he was hurt the team wasn't the same. You need guys that are vocal on the bench, ice and locker room. When he wasn't around it was dead quite.

Kassian is now this guy, not as good at it but pretty close.

Talk to anyone that plays and those role players are very valuable even though fans think they are useless.

There is a reason the Jets brought him back.

Now I don't think Hendricks is the right guy anymore, but you need guys in the locker room that know how to fire the guys up and keep guys accountable.

Reactions: GOilers88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The character the guy brought helped the team. When he was hurt the team wasn't the same. You need guys that are vocal on the bench, ice and locker room. When he wasn't around it was dead quite.

Kassian is now this guy, not as good at it but pretty close.

Talk to anyone that plays and those role players are very valuable even though fans think they are useless.

There is a reason the Jets brought him back.

Now I don't think Hendricks is the right guy anymore, but you need guys in the locker room that know how to fire the guys up and keep guys accountable.

Kassian isn't really this guy though. Maroon was the guy, positivity all around and for more than 20 games, he was the Big Rig the whole time he was here and smiling and getting others to smile the whole time. Kass was so much of a distraction the first 40GP as a negative influence on team. To the extent everybody thought he wanted out of here.

I do agree that you need some guys in a room that will keep the team resilient, that keep a team believing. But that can be a disservice too when a situation with an org is untenable. Where winning just isn't possible.

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
Pleasantly surprised with Kass, which certainly wasn't the case for quite some time as he looked disinterested. Keep it up Zach!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad