Prospect Info: Zachary Lauzon | Left Defenseman | Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL) | 2nd round, 51st overall

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marshall says the Canadiens had their eye on him too.

That makes this pick a little bit more okay, if he would have been gone a few picks after.

He reminds me a lot of Connor Hall, I just hope he ends up having a better draft+1 season than Hall.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Looks like a yes on both accounts. He's had 7 fights in the Q over his first two seasons, too.

Doesn't seem like a great fighter but he has moxy which is good.

A 18 yr old 6' 185 still has some time to grow.

His brother is 6'3 so it is certainly possible, though I think I stopped growing at 16 :cry:.

I like that he models his game on Vlasic.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Something I noticed is he was 4th amongst Huskies D in points, but of the 3 guys ahead of him one was an overager and the other two are 97 birth years so they're unlikely to return. So it stands to reason he'll see a lot more offensive situations next season.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Despres 2.0? Doesnt seem like BPA but who knows. Have to trust the org. Anyone can draft based soley on player rankings.

I think the scouting report on Despres at the draft was he had all the tools it was a question of how many of them he could put together.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Something I noticed is he was 4th amongst Huskies D in points, but of the 3 guys ahead of him one was an overager and the other two are 97 birth years so they're unlikely to return. So it stands to reason he'll see a lot more offensive situations next season.

Yeah, hopefully he'll be putting up 30-40 points next season.

Last edited:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
He seems like a good DFD, but he's a 4th round caliber prospect that the Penguins used the 2nd rounder that they got for trading their 1st rounder to take. Not a good pick.

Guentzel was also a reach. Ulitmately I'd rather have the Penguins draft who they like rather than what the rankings say.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Despres never won the Kevin Lowe Trophy. But Kris Letang did. :D

David Savard did as well. Be interested to know how many of those guys won the trophy in their first year of draft eligibility.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
David Savard did as well. Be interested to know how many of those guys won the trophy in their first year of draft eligibility.

Lauzon has been the youngest player to win it. Though the trophy exists only since 2005.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Ah, a reach who struggled to produce in the Q...seems bang on for this current Penguins front office.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The past 24 hours haven't inspired much confidence.

If anything, I'd have thought that the last couple years would have made Pens fans more patient with their draft evaluations. Making judgements on guys a couple years after the fact was clearly premature when it came to a lot of our college guys.

So the hot takes on today's draftees who we haven't seen at all are probably premature too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

The past two years certainly have. I can't imagine how the last 24 hours have bothered anybody to the point where they forget how good this group has done the last two years. At worst, we slightly overpaid for a solid 4th liner and reached with a 2nd round pick in a weak draft.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The past two years certainly have. I can't imagine how the last 24 hours have bothered anybody to the point where they forget how good this group has done the last two years. At worst, we slightly overpaid for a solid 4th liner and reached with a 2nd round pick in a weak draft.

Probably the loss of Botts and now Sexton plays a bit into that.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He seems like a good DFD, but he's a 4th round caliber prospect that the Penguins used the 2nd rounder that they got for trading their 1st rounder to take. Not a good pick.

You have to forget the 1st rounder. It plays no part in the pick once you're making it. The only question is "which of our guys is on the board and well they still be there next time we pick?" Penguins obviously felt the answer was "no". Anyway, any player past ~ pick 25, in any draft, enters crap-shoot territory. All about upside and minimizing risk. Few if any of these guys will see the NHL for at least 2 years.

A 18 yr old 6' 185 still has some time to grow.

Yep. That was my first thought reading the profile. Could easily finish around 6'1" or 6'2", 200+ lbs by the time he's ready to play his first NHL game. No problem with teh size AFAIC.

90 PIMS in 63 games. Doesn't seem to mind getting his nose dirty some.

No problem with this either. It's not a gimmick / something to cover up for some other weakness. He's just a physical player, despite not being overly large.

Good info and another + IMO. That's where you can start minimizing the risk a bit, knowing your guy is due for a big bump in ice time / experience.

yeah, bunch of bums.

Cup Winning bums, the lot of 'em.

And THAT ^ right there... is the #1 character flaw of this board. Your basis for confidence is what happened in the last 24 hours vs. the last 24 months. I'm not a big fan of the Reaves deal at all but I'm at least willing to give benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing in the big picture. Same with this draft pick. Who doesn't love a big trade on draft day but somtimes you get nothin'. That's how it goes.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Ive seen him play many times and I am surprised he went this high. Overall solid and defensively sound player but I have never seen elite offensive stuff from him. His attitude is great and he has a desire to improve I guess thats what they like with him. He is a project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad