Prospect Info: Zachary Fucale

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by rockjngo, Jan 6, 2015.

1. rockjngo

rockjngo Registered User

Do you guys think he has the "drive" to be a top goalie or a starter in the NHL?

Personally I don't think he has the Patrick Roy, Carey Price "drive", he's more like Dustin Tokarski than Price. When games matter Roy and Price shows up. 4 goals in one of the most important game of Fucale's life isn't not good.

I think we should package him for a top player.

2. HabsDood

HabsDood We're the best

Tech
    yup, he's the best player who'll never play here, i think

3. expy

expy Registered User

I think he's below Tokarski's calibre.

Yesterday's game pretty much showed how bad he could play on the big stage under pressure. I hadn't seen such a poor showing since Fleury.

4. ThaDevilGirl

ThaDevilGirl Every day is a day off

Hot garbage.

Seriously, reading HF last night you'd think he was the worst goaltender ever, even though the Russian goalie let in softer goals. Zach will get better once he gets to train with Waite. One thing is sure though, he is no Carey Price. And if he gets to a MAF level, he'll have a pretty good career. Most likely not with the Habs, but elsewhere.

5. Son Oncle Jerry

Son Oncle Jerry Formerly HiggsBozon

Before the tournament, I said I wasn't all that confident in his abilities. Still feel like it after the tournament. I think the best way to maximize his value is to trade him in a package for a player we need.

6. Woland

Woland Registered User

trade bait

7. SOLR

SOLR Registered User

Another example of "drive": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2k-GW21co

He didn't show up, trade him!

With logic like this, we end up with teams like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000–01_Montreal_Canadiens_season

8. jaffy27

jaffy27 From Russia wth Pain

Airline Pilot/Business Ow
    How about we just give credit to the Russian team, don't think Fucale will become Price-like and he definitely must work on his rebound control but he did play against an outstanding Russian team, let's give credit where credit is due!

9. TRG

TRG Bye Marky :(

Did you forget Visentin?

10. Seb

Seb Michel Therrien

He's never going to take Carey's place anyways.

11. jaffy27

12. Son Oncle Jerry

Even before the tournament, and even in yesterday's game in the third period, there always was something sketchy about his rebound control. He doesn't look like he absorbs the shots like a guy like Price does. I remember watching the Cherry/Orr game a couple of years back and thinking he wasn't doing anything to make his players feel confident in him. I always get this impression when I watch him.

I think his trade value is higher than his actual value ever will be.

13. Tuggy

Tuggy Registered User

I agree with this.

Price is an elite superstar who I hope will be a Hab for life.

Nothing at all against Fucale but I think he's going to be a fine trading chip.

14. jaffy27

He also looks a little small in net for a 6'1 guy, maybe I'm just used to seeing Price...that rebound control needs to be rectified ASAP though, maybe a little time with Waite is just what the doctor ordered. As for his trade value, I think the HABS should hold on to him for just a tad longer, unless he's part of a big trade that'll bring something significant.

15. That Habs Fan

That Habs Fan I miss PK

Good player.

Will eventually be part of a trade to Edmonton.

16. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I don't think he represents an "untouchable" prospect to us, not in the sense of representing elements we desperately want to see as part of our roster growth, the way I think of others like Scherbak, McCarron, DLR, Beaulieu, Tinordi... he's just a long-term project in an area we've currently got locked down for the forseeable future in goal. In that sense, if another team wanted to place good value on him in a trade discussion, he's obviously moveable.

But... most teams have goaltending prospects and aren't going to trade for him at anything other than "token" value, which is basically like a 2nd round pick, and I think at that threshold we're better off just keeping him in the pipeline and letting him progress, work with Waite for the next 3-4 years, see what we have. There's no rush, no need to label him right now when he's 19. He has had a great junior career, and still another run at the Memorial Cup to come, and then plenty of time to let him develop in the AHL. He'll work things out, or he won't, but you need to have a goaltending prospect in the pipeline, and even while he has some flaws to work on, his overall body of work and accomplishments are hard to match. We could do a lot worse than him for having a young prospect goalie coming along in the pipeline.

17. Captain Wolverine

Captain Wolverine Registered User

If thats his ceiling then I'm fine with it.

And its not like Visentin, Subban or any of the other goalies for team Canada were any good either.

18. ROSSter

ROSSter Registered User

Wow... blaming him for the 4 goals.

Fucale is a great tendy, and he'll be a starter in the league some day. He's won a Mem Cup and a World Junior Championship now. This is a great resume for a young goalie. Give him time to develop.

What with the 'armchair psychologist' assessment? Do you know him personally or something? Please give us your insight.

19. Top Corner2

Top Corner2 Registered User

Home Page:
    It seems like his big problem right now is rebound control. This is something that many young goalies struggle with. He moves great, covers his angles well and tracks the puck very well. He will have to improve like any young player, but he definitely has a lot going for him.

20. Agnostic

Agnostic 11 Stanley Cups

I remember the Carey Price growing pains and all the calls for patience, that he's "only 21" , then it was he's "only 22", then ... well you get the idea.

Fucale is 19 ****ing years old. Fans need to stop this nonsense.

On the trading chip side, goalies don't have trade value until they are beyond-all-doubt ready for the NHL. He's not worth anything at the moment, and that's not a commentary on how he may turn out it's commentary on how young and raw he is.

21. Andy

Andy Registered User

It's really apples and oranges though. Price's growing pains emerged in the nhl, by that time though, he had already shown enough in junior to demand for patience. Fucale hasn't inspired nearly as much confidence in me from his junior level play, so not only is it a bad comparison, but it isn't a surprise that fans are doubting him this early.

You're right, he's only 19, but nothing about his junior play has convinced me that I shouldn't doubt his ability. In that way, he and Carey Price's development are completely different.

**To be clear, I haven't given up on Fucale. Just haven't been impressed from what I've seen. What does that mean about his future? Nothing much.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  22. Apoplectic Habs Fan

Apoplectic Habs Fan Registered User

He has time thats biggest thing. Also hopefully they get Waite working with him.

Aside from weak rebounds, he didnt seem strong along the ice. Often getting pushed back or unable to hold the line without giving up holes. A lot of pucks bounced thru him last night.

Still has starter upside and if you can pull another halak for eller trade then he is valuable

23. Fire Everyone

Fire Everyone Especially you

He's a 19 year old goaltender who isn't NHL ready. His value is extremely low unless a team is very high on him for some reason.

The best way to maximise his value is to develop him and hope he becomes a great backup. Then maybe we can get a fairly high pick, or a good prospect, for him the same way that Vancouver did with Schneider.

At this point, it's unlikely that his value in a trade would be anything more than a throw-in.

24. Son Oncle Jerry

Edmonton was extremely high on him at the draft in 2013. Probably some other teams were too. If a team thinks he has the potential to be a quality starter in the NHL some day, they might want him as THE additional piece in a package to entice them into making a deal with us.

For every Schneider, there's also a Jonathan Bernier, who was traded for much less than he was worth, because he was stuck behind Quick anyway.

25. Habs

Habs Registered User

Are you ****ing serious? 2 of those goals weren't his fault, and one was an absolutely awesome shot. So he let in one suspect goal. Are you suggesting Price and Roy haven't blown big games? Do you follow hockey, or are you just being a troll here?