Zach Redmond signed to one year, two way contract

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Which means his NHL salary is probably $715,000 which was his minimum QO. This is utterly fantastic news, although I would've preferred a two year. It helps us with the roster jam, Redmond is likely to start the year in the AHL because he is still waiver exempt.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Excellent. Would have preferred a longer term, but this ought to help with the log jam at D. Postma will likely start with the main club this year. Get hyped, IceCaps.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Which means his NHL salary is probably $715,000 which was his minimum QO. This is utterly fantastic news, although I would've preferred a two year. It helps us with the roster jam, Redmond is likely to start the year in the AHL because he is still waiver exempt.

I Like Redmond, seems to be a good character guy, with lots of upside to his game.He just finished his 2nd year of pro and is comming out of his 2 yr ELC. I have seen people state that he is not waiver eligigible next year and can be sent to the Rock without clearing waivers. Is that due to the lockout short season? Can any one with extensive CBA /Waiver Knowledge confirm.
(edit) Zach turns 25 in 6 days

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
You guys removed qualifying offer from the title, yet that seems to be exactly what he signed? 715k was the minimum raise for a QO.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I Like Redmond, seems to be a good character guy, with lots of upside to his game.He just finished his 2nd year of pro and is comming out of his 2 yr ELC. I have seen people state that he is not waiver eligigible next year and can be sent to the Rock without clearing waivers. Is that due to the lockout short season? Can any one with extensive CBA /Waiver Knowledge confirm.

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1973&NHL_games=8&pro_games_radio=1&Calculate=

He needs 1 more year or 44 NHL games before he becomes subject to waivers.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Nice to see. If he starts on the rock, that might not be such a bad thing either.
He can get a lot more minutes, and that will help both him and the org see if there are any lingering affects to his injury.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
In the short period that he played with us last year he was fantastic, and the coach on the Rock has been saying that he is their best player game in and game out for the past two years even with Postma on the team. Deserves to be in the NHL, won't get to be much this year because of the log-jam on defense.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I love this. People have been discounting Zachy Reds a bit (I feel) but this kid is a fighter. He beats the odds all the time and these are the guys you see in the NHL who end up being long-time impact players. I just have a feeling with him.

The one year I imagine is simply due to the fact the Jets really don't know how that injury will affect him but I bet he comes back 100%. Really pulling for this guy.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I love this. People have been discounting Zachy Reds a bit (I feel) but this kid is a fighter. He beats the odds all the time and these are the guys you see in the NHL who end up being long-time impact players. I just have a feeling with him.

The one year I imagine is simply due to the fact the Jets really don't know how that injury will affect him but I bet he comes back 100%. Really pulling for this guy.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Great deal. It will be interesting to see where he spends most of the year.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Very happy to see this. I hope he can make a full recovery from his injury of last year, I really liked his play prior to him getting hurt.

Also like that it gives us the chance to move what I perceive as an NHL calibre D-man down to St. John's so he can rehab at a proper pace if any slow downs occur and he won't be eligible for waivers. Also clears a bit of room if Trouba stays up. Then gives us the full year to move someone (Buff? Toby?) while he gets another year of development.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Everyone sees Redmond fighting with Postma for the the last d man spot...... right now I say Postma has the 7th spot and Redmond and Trouba are fighting for the 6th spot as they are both waiver free and can be sent down.....but both Redmond and Trouba are more defensive.......than Postma.

Even if Redmond starts the season in St Johns......he will see alot of NHL hockey this season......due to injures and future moves....... I Believe The Jets have big plans for Redmond in the future.

:handclap: Good Signing:handclap:

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Why?

Redmond is waiver exempt and is rehabilitating an injury.
Postma is not waiver exempt.
2-way/1-way only changes how much they get paid up/down.

Good post. Listening to them on IC they made it sound as if because he is on a 2-way he could be sent down the St John's when it is because he is waiver-eligible.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It's not very common for a player to play in the AHL on a one way contract. Gagnon last year is one exception.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad