Injury Report: Zach Parise (Conditioning Stint w/ Iowa Wild)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ducks fan here currently editing the Wild on NHL 18. How's Parise's speed these days? I've watched highlights of his goals from last season. He looked quite slow in the early highlights, but seemed faster as the season went along. Is this accurate? It would make sense if he was dealing with injuries and was getting it healthier.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ducks fan here currently editing the Wild on NHL 18. How's Parise's speed these days? I've watched highlights of his goals from last season. He looked quite slow in the early highlights, but seemed faster as the season went along. Is this accurate? It would make sense if he was dealing with injuries and was getting it healthier.

No clue. We haven't seen him since last year in the Playoffs. He's never really been a speed demon for the Wild, his tenacity and awareness makes up for lack of top end speed.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
With the injury crisis, I'm wondering if putting Parise on IR would be a good move. According to Russo, anyone put on IR right now would miss 10 games. I mean, if they're saying he's "close", does that mean they expect him back in 3 or 4 games?

I think I would be fine sitting him for an extra 6-7 games if it means
a) we can call up another forward to play these next couple games, and
b) Parise gets that much more rest, and would hopefully be more fresh for the season ahead, once he shakes off the rust.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With the injury crisis, I'm wondering if putting Parise on IR would be a good move. According to Russo, anyone put on IR right now would miss 10 games. I mean, if they're saying he's "close", does that mean they expect him back in 3 or 4 games?

I think I would be fine sitting him for an extra 6-7 games if it means
a) we can call up another forward to play these next couple games, and
b) Parise gets that much more rest, and would hopefully be more fresh for the season ahead, once he shakes off the rust.

Can you do it retro-active? So the 3-4 games missed would count towards the 10?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah I've heard it would be retroactive. I wonder if he's close to 100% or just close to a playable state. That makes a difference in the decision.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
If it's radioactive, that would be the best news I've made up all day. Nino and Coyle who? f*** all y'all, we've got radioactive Bees! Oprah just got back from plumbing the hellish depths of Chernobyl's carcass and brought you all pulsating neon souvenirs!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
This was the excerpt from Russo's article:

If the Wild want to recall simply one forward for Saturday’s game, they may have no choice now. The only other way for the Wild to afford forwards would be to place players on long-term injured reserve.

But that player or players would have to miss 10 games and 24 days. So for the Wild to be able to do that, Niederreiter and/or Coyle would have to be serious enough injuries.

Granlund and Parise, not expected to play Saturday, aren’t serious enough to be put on LTIR.

I'm not sure if it's retroactive or not. But like @Wild11MN said, are they gauging Parise on just when he'll be able to stand upright on skates during a game? Because if so, I'd be totally fine putting him on that IR list, and giving him 10 games to rest it up and come back fully ready to go.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Would anyone be that shocked if he didn't play at all this year?
Nope. I mean, the dude came back from an OFFSEASON injured. And he can't make it through practices without having "setbacks". Would not surprise me at all if they come out and say he's just done.

I just don't know how long they can keep going with this whole "he's REALLY close to coming back!" scenario.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Either take the whole season off to heal properly or retire already. This is worse than Gabby's groin injuries.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
At least until that loophole gets closed in the next CBA. Then again, maybe they leave it open, as it seems to benefit both the player and the team. The player in that they get paid their full contract anyway, and the team by no longer having to deal with that particular cap hit.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Fine. Put him on LTIR then. It's just really starting to #$@! us over. He gets hurt in the offseason, gets hurt in practice....can you imagine what would happen with him in a real game setting? His whole body would explode on the ice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Parise seems like the type of competitor that will play longer than he should, rather than the hang it up early when he's still good. He'll probably play until the doctors force him into a Pronger type retirement.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if he's out the whole year. We know he'll do whatever he can to get back, but if it's too early... we all know how that will end (again).

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

No, not if he's being told that he could be risking long term problems. It's getting to the point where I'm not sure I want him to play. Tough to watch a guy guy beating his head against the wall expecting a different outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad