Zach Hyman vs Tyler Toffoli vs Mikael Granlund

Hyman vs Toffoli vs Granlund

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Ignoring their contracts, how would you currently rank these three 30 year old wingers from best to worst

PlayerThis SeasonLast Season
Zach Hyman24 GP, 9 G, 17 A, 26 P76 GP, 27 G, 27 A, 54 P
Tyler Toffoli24 GP, 8 G, 9 A, 17 P74 GP, 20 G, 29 A, 49 P
Mikael Granlund23 GP, 4 G, 14 A, 18 P80 GP, 11 G, 53 A, 63 P

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hyman over those other two by a country mile. He's actually a complete player who does a lot of things well to contribute outside of the score sheet...while also still being able to produce pretty comparably to the others (or better).

I really wouldn't want anything to do with either of those other two. But i guess i'll go with Grandlund next. He can at least play a decent "facilitator" role i suppose.

Toffoli's ability to contribute absolutely NOTHING outside of scoring his goals is honestly pretty remarkable. He's gotta be a serious contender for the most useless all-around player who can still somehow post 20G+. His ability to completely disappear himself from the play at all times is truly elite.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG and Haatley

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Surprised the votes for Hyman as number 1 aren’t higher. I think he’s clearly the best. He can drive play 5v5 with his forechecking at a level the other two can’t and he produces well 5v5 as well, even if he’s not typically a great PP player.

I’d have Toffoli number 2. Smart player and good finisher, who is a good complementary player and seems to usually make his lines better. Is an efficient 5v5 scorer and better PP player than Hyman.

Granlund I’d have last. Started scoring more again last year but his underlying numbers in Nashville still aren’t great, and when you’re looking at this level of player, I think it usually makes more sense to fit a puck retriever like Hyman or a finisher like Toffoli with better players than a more play making type like Granlund, as most stars want the puck on their sticks.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Surprised the votes for Hyman as number 1 aren’t higher. I think he’s clearly the best. He can drive play 5v5 with his forechecking at a level the other two can’t and he produces well 5v5 as well, even if he’s not typically a great PP player.

I’d have Toffoli number 2. Smart player and good finisher, who is a good complementary player and seems to usually make his lines better. Is an efficient 5v5 scorer and better PP player than Hyman.

Granlund I’d have last. Started scoring more again last year but his underlying numbers in Nashville still aren’t great, and when you’re looking at this level of player, I think it usually makes more sense to fit a puck retriever like Hyman or a finisher like Toffoli with better players than a more play making type like Granlund, as most stars want the puck on their sticks.

I mean...Hyman as the best has ~70% of the vote at this point. I guess you could argue it should be even higher, but it's not like he's not established as far and away the most popular choice for "best of this bunch".

As for Granlund as more of a "playmaker"...i'd agree in that he's more of a passer than a finisher, but i wouldn't really characterize him as one of those classical "playmakers" who has to have the puck on their stick all the time to be successful. When he's effective and scoring, he's usually the sort of 2nd or 3rd wheel on his line, and just playing that "facilitator" role, moving the puck quickly to the better players to do stuff.

It's when you ask him to actually handle the puck a ton and "carry" or "drive" a line, that he really seriously falters.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Strictly depending on team. If I have a team with scorers - I take Granlund 10/10. He is the best passer of the bunch by a mile. If I want scoring, I take Hyman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad