Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman is the Maple Leafs nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Guy tears his ACL, plays the rest of the game and the final game of the series, comes back better than he was prior to. Easily one of our most valuable players when you consider what the team lacks.

The funny part - not necessarily wrong - is McDavid will get more attention for his knee injury based on his documentary and notoriety.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This guy's stock has risen so fast - back during the first year of the super rookies people were lambasting this guy left and right for taking up a spot on Matthews' wing. It's been so cool to watch what a professional attitude, killer work-ethic, and limitless motor can do for an AHL/NHL tweener turned 20-goal scoring top 6 forward. Our whole team plays better with this guy in the lineup.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This guy's stock has risen so fast - back during the first year of the super rookies people were lambasting this guy left and right for taking up a spot on Matthews' wing. It's been so cool to watch what a professional attitude, killer work-ethic, and limitless motor can do for an AHL/NHL tweener turned 20-goal scoring top 6 forward. Our whole team plays better with this guy in the lineup.

Count me as one of the guys who underestimated him early on. A couple years ago I was convinced he didn't belong on the top 2 lines. Now there's no way to make a lineup without him there.

In about 3 years my opinion went from "he's a replacement level nobody" to "he's a core player, and a warrior."

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Count me as one of the guys who underestimated him early on. A couple years ago I was convinced he didn't belong on the top 2 lines. Now there's no way to make a lineup without him there.

In about 3 years my opinion went from "he's a replacement level nobody" to "he's a core player, and a warrior."

He's slowly but surely become one of the better board players in the league. I love watching him play. His skill set is very specialized, all athleticism, awareness, and intelligence of where to attack and when. It's an uncommon package.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Guy tears his ACL, plays the rest of the game and the final game of the series, comes back better than he was prior to. Easily one of our most valuable players when you consider what the team lacks.

The funny part - not necessarily wrong - is McDavid will get more attention for his knee injury based on his documentary and notoriety.

Bobby Ryan also made a very important recovery this year. While I don't mean to disparage Hyman, I think we're all incredibly proud of him, he doesn't really have a shot this year.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Bobby Ryan also made a very important recovery this year. While I don't mean to disparage Hyman, I think we're all incredibly proud of him, he doesn't really have a shot this year.

Shea Theodore should be in the mix too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If it wasn't for other players stories like Bobby Ryan's personal issues or Connor McDavid's injury which was more highly profiled than Hyman playing in the 2019 playoffs with a torn ACL, maybe he would have a better chance of winning it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

If he applied that work ethic to working on his shot, he'd be a legitimate 30+ goal scorer every year.

But man alive are his shot mechanics atrocious, they're bad for an AHL forward. I don't know if it's still the case, but sometime around his third year I went through a highlight package of every single goal he's scored: 0 of the ES goals were off the ice when they went in. He is basically incapable of getting the puck in the air when time and space are limited. The only goals he scored in those highlight packages where the puck was lifted were on PK breakaways where he had time to load up his shot.

Still though, that's almost impressive in its own right. Scoring 20 goals with no PP time and more than half of them are pure effort goals in the crease is nothing to sneeze at.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty deserving candidate to be Leafs representative for this award. :thumbu:

He might be Leafs most underappreciated player among a lot of Leaf fans but nobody on the roster works harder and preserves more than Zach does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If he applied that work ethic to working on his shot, he'd be a legitimate 30+ goal scorer every year.

But man alive are his shot mechanics atrocious, they're bad for an AHL forward. I don't know if it's still the case, but sometime around his third year I went through a highlight package of every single goal he's scored: 0 of the ES goals were off the ice when they went in. He is basically incapable of getting the puck in the air when time and space are limited. The only goals he scored in those highlight packages where the puck was lifted were on PK breakaways where he had time to load up his shot.

Still though, that's almost impressive in its own right. Scoring 20 goals with no PP time and more than half of them are pure effort goals in the crease is nothing to sneeze at.

He's a garbage man, he scores those dirty goals close to the net. It's his game, it would be like asking Mitch to muck it up in the corners. Hyman is not a shooter, will never be a shooter and with the type of game he plays that is OK in my books.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Bobby Ryan is winning it this year, as he should.

And Oscar Lindbolm will almost certainly win it next season, assuming he’s able to return.

Reactions: Buds17

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Most of those individual awards are popularity contest. How can you trust the voters when Ovi was nominated for RW and LW and one voter admitted to not attending one game all year... it;s kinda a farce TBH.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Hyman has out scored all of Johnsson,Kapanen and Kerfoot last three year. All make a million or more per season. Nome bring his type of multi tool type of game. Hyman is a gamer and leader that i would keep over all of the three higher priced players listed above. He simply brings what you need to win and he is very durable previously.
He has all the elements a team needs to be hard to play against. I would love a entire bottom 6 just like him.

Reactions: kb

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Bobby Ryan is winning it this year, as he should.

And Oscar Lindbolm will almost certainly win it next season, assuming he’s able to return.

I agree that Ryan should win.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for Lindblom to be in the mix next year? Meaning when he recovers and returns to game action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad