Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I really appreciate what Zach brings to the team. He gets overlooked by everyone except for Babs and has also become quite a whipping boy for those who felt he plays too much on the top 2 lines, but the element he does bring to our team, no one really has that.

The man is truly a master of the cycle game, and I honestly don't think anyone in the league does it better and more effectively than he does. He quietly has 4 assists in 5 games this year, and deserves some love.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
He's always been a high motor guy that does the dirty work. I think a lot of the, for lack of a better term, hate came from was that he has little to no ability to finish and was stapled to the top line. It was frustrating to see him consistently blow quality chances with Matthews and Nylander.

I think with Tavares and Marner he fits even better because they'll dig and battle with him and he doesn't need to provide the offense as much given that line and depth throughout the forward core.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
That series against Boston really turned the tide for me. It made me like him so much more. It also looks like his offensive game is coming along. once he gets the puck he looks like he actually knows what to do with it instead of just throwing it away.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I don't get why people rag on the guy. He goes gets pucks and gets it to Mitch and JT. Has set up or has started the play on a number of goals already. Kills penalties, hits, skates fast, works hard and has a reasonable cap hit. Was probably the best forward last year vs Boston.

Not every forward has hands like Auston Matthews.

Reactions: TML11

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I'll be honest, at the beginning of last year and year one I would get fustrated with Babcock putting him with our skilled guys, but Hyman really compliments them well. He always gives his all and can move up and down the lineup. He's strong, wins a lot of puck battles, skates well and can make a nice play from time to time. At this pace he’ll easily have 50-55 points playing with JT and Marner.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think people should stop complaining about him as he has played very well this season - pretty creative last night with pass to Marner last night

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's looked great the last two games, more like the Hyman we all know. I'm sure he was feeling some ill effects from the hip injury suffered which is why he didn't look that effective in the first few games of the season. Good to see him back first on the puck and hitting bodies.

I wasn't the biggest Hyman supporter when he first came but he's really grown on me, and he took my appreciation of him to a next level when i saw what he was able to do against Boston in the playoffs. It was much needed and he was great! Thank you Zach! Keep up the great work!

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Babcock has a formula for his top lines. He wants to pair up two players that can carry/pass/shoot. Then he adds a third as a grinder/digger.

Hyman is great in his roll. It's when he gets the puck and tries to score or playmake that people groan. But sometimes that's the right play even if his success rate is a lot lower than his linemates'.

I like what he brings to the top lines. And the beauty of it all, is that he can play on any line without changing how he plays.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Great player, Babcock was the one who put him in a position to fail before though, everyone knew he wasn't a first liner.

Now though he is definitely keeping up with JT and MM which is all anyone can ask.

IMO he can definitely become a good 2nd liner, he has elite speed, an excellent motor and only needs to get a better shot and finish which should come with experience.

His conditioning seems excellent too, don't notice him slowing down ever, always flying out there.

Reactions: TML11

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hyman is what I refer to as good depth. That means that we are looking at a useful but limited player. Of course, acknowledging that doesn't mean you can't appreciate him for who he is, and he's got some qualities that are very easy to like. That forecheck he had against Detroit at one point. He basically disrupted three breakouts all by himself, and we got a high danger chance as a direct result.

I like Hyms, but its funny he gets a thread before Marner... :laugh:
Marner doesn't have an appreciation thread? Really? That's criminal in some countries.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like Hyms, but its funny he gets a thread before Marner... :laugh:

Haha, fair point. I think it might be because we all take it for granted that Mitch is magic so a thread seems redundant.

I wasn't the biggest Hyman supporter when he first came but he's really grown on me, and he took my appreciation of him to a next level when i saw what he was able to do against Boston in the playoffs. It was much needed and he was great! Thank you Zach! Keep up the great work!

You and about a zillion other people. Hyman's taken so much crap here over the last couple years but it seems like there are less and less people complaining every day.

People rag on Babs a lot but I think we gotta give him props for this one, I suspect that most coaches would never think to even try Hyman on a top line, they'd have him plugging away on the 4th line where "he belongs".

I appreciate Hyman, keep up the good work. So many players on the team I appreciate, what an amazing team we have. Now if we can just get our s..t together on D, we'll get to where I want us to be.

Where do I want us to be - I want other teams to fear us, that's where!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HYMAN THE ‘HORSE’ OF THE TAVARES LINE

He’s a horse with no name no longer.

Both hat trick man John Tavares and Leafs coach Mike Babcock gave much of the credit for Sunday’s result in Chicago to the on-going hustle of left winger Zach Hyman, who set the tone for snipers Tavares and linemate Mitch Marner.

“Zach can’t get anyone to even talk about him,” Babcock noted of Hyman’s low profile in the media. “But why does that line play in the offensive zone all the time? Because he keeps going to go get it, go get it, go get it. You look around the league at how many guys can skate like that and protect the puck like that. He’s heavy. We are fortunate to have him.”

Tavares agreed Hyman was “a horse” among many Leafs who made contributions Sunday, even if a few detracted on a night the Leafs gave up six. Defenceman Morgan Rielly had the eventual winner at 19 seconds of overtime, part of four goals in the final 1:43, two by each club.

“Mitch and John were great, but it’s Hyman who really drives that line in terms of puck possession,” Rielly said. “Then John and Mitch can find each other.”

Link: Kasperi Kapanen could make Leafs miss Willy less

Reactions: Leafidelity

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
why the aka Babcocks son? He isn't known as that.

Reactions: Rogie

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
What I find humorous is that people on this board absolutely hate Hyman, but some of those same people a lined up to pay Jake Gardiner 6.5 million dollars per year, 1.5 million more than Morgan Reilly, to play games like last night, when he was a damn pylon out there. Dude hasn't registered a SOG this year and that's literally all he's useful for. A poor man's Bryan McCabe... Ron Hainsey has drifted around the ice like a corpse, but even he has produced 2 goals (somehow) at the offensive end of the ice.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I wasn't a fan of him on the Matthews-Nylander line in his rookie year, but I've actually really come around on him since then. I think he does his job really well for the most part, and I also think it's important to spread out key offensive contributors across multiple lines so the offence doesn't become too top heavy. I think he's looked really solid with Mitch and JT so far

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Zach Hyman for Greg McKegg was a real underrated trade that worked out well for us.

Once we sign the big 4, we're not gonna have the money to dress up 4 legit top 6 wingers.
We'll need some lower skilled guys that can produce relative to their cap, and that is Hyman.
Glad to have him on the team!

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
What I find humorous is that people on this board absolutely hate Hyman, but some of those same people a lined up to pay Jake Gardiner 6.5 million dollars per year, 1.5 million more than Morgan Reilly, to play games like last night, when he was a damn pylon out there. Dude hasn't registered a SOG this year and that's literally all he's useful for. A poor man's Bryan McCabe... Ron Hainsey has drifted around the ice like a corpse, but even he has produced 2 goals (somehow) at the offensive end of the ice.

Absolutely hate Hyman? Damn, those are some strong words from people that call themselves "fans". Kinda pathetic honestly if you 'hate' a professional athlete. He does his job very well, and we should be lucky we have a player like Hyman. His motor, his tenacity, he is absolutely fearless. We need more players like that.

This is an appreciation thread about Zach Hyman, not a thread complaining about Jake Gardiner's abilities or lack thereof. There are hundreds of posters who complain about Gardiner, i'm sure you can find the right thread where your post will actually be answered. Enjoy your day!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
My favourite thing about Hyman is the fact that he comes from a very wealthy background but he plays and trains like he is broke. Respect to him for that

Reactions: BM14

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
IMO, he is a FAR better fit with JT and Marner. Their slower pace than Matthews/Nylander makes him more effective.
I hated him with Matthews and Nylander the past 2 years.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Trending upwards, just like the lines he plays on since his first game as a Leaf ... hopefully the usual H-board pro staff members will quiet down for once.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
why the aka Babcocks son? He isn't known as that.

It's the sports version of "teachers pet", which Hyman clearly is to Babcock, deserved or not.

I like Hyman and have no problem with his role, but I think Babs approach with him is laughably over the top. Guy has Tavares/Marner making magic together and he talks like Hyman is the one making it all happen, as if they'd never score without him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad