Zach Hyman 1st 50 goal season

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You understand that there are plenty of goals scored with one or zero assists right? Literally there are not “2 assists per goal.” In all NHL history the number is 1.61, so about 20% shy of 2/goal.
great point. tell that to the guy I was responding to for throwing shade on high scoring players like Kucherov and McDavid who get their of both goals and tons of assists.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
great point. tell that to the guy I was responding to for throwing shade on high scoring players like Kucherov and McDavid who get their of both goals and tons of assists.
Lots of pages here, with a bunch that got wiped due to politics. Guess I missed it.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Really? Because he's a pure goal scorer like Ovi. Matthews is basically a 55/40 guy and pacing for .5 assists per game as he always does. Ovi was also a .5 assists per game guy.

McDavid is the greatest ever (other than Orr). He's so good he can take a 20/20 guy and turn him into a 50/20 guy but it costs him 20 EV goals and 16 PP goals so it's basically a wash.
MCDavid can take a NHL seasons and pot 64 goal season and our score the "pure goal scorers" ....then add with 80 to 90 asssists.
That ain't "a wash" with anyone.

Jun 27, 2005
you don't miss a 51 (and counting) goal scoring winger who is the best net front presence in the NHL on the PP, plays hard, never gives up on plays, and is almost unanimously considered the hardest working player in the game?

Hmmmm.....sounds like bullshit to me.
And that's exactly my point. We truly don't miss him and he's been replaced with some pretty lame players like Bunting and Knives and yet M&M perform just as well and the team is about the same and even got a bit farther in the playoffs. The Leafs are better without Hands and they can use his money elsewhere.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
And that's exactly my point. We truly don't miss him and he's been replaced with some pretty lame players like Bunting and Knives and yet M&M perform just as well and the team is about the same and even got a bit farther in the playoffs. The Leafs are better without Hands and they can use his money elsewhere.
Ya that Bertuzzi signing for the exact same money has proven to be fantastic....but imagine where the Leafs could be with Hyman in their lineup instead of Bertuzzi.

You're assuming that there has been no growth from Hyman and that everything is attributed to McDavid, which is ridiculous. some players take longer than other to hit their peak and Hyman could've hit his peak in Toronto if Dubas wasn't a complete muppet and refused to recognize what he had in Hyman.

Jun 27, 2005
MCDavid can take a NHL seasons and pot 64 goal season and our score the "pure goal scorers" ....then add with 80 to 90 asssists.
That ain't "a wash" with anyone.
Wow, that's a heck of a sentence, I will attempt to translate it and then answer.

translation:
McDavid can in a single season pot 64 goals and outscore "the pure goal scorers" and even add 80 to 90 assists. That ain't "a wash" with anyone.

response:
Yes, McDavid is THAT good but in focusing on passing vs goal scoring his goal totals drop while Hands go up.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why did Berkshire go after him instead of fellow 50G scorer Reinhart who also grew up wealthy and had the added bonus of his father being a longtime NHL player?

Did Reinharts dad buy 90 hockey teams, resulting in rules changes? Did Reinharts dad buy a scouting service in his draft year?

A lot of NHLers grew up rich and privelaged but Hymans dad went way above and beyond, I really haven’t heard of anyone comparable. I don’t think you have to be anti-Semitic to see that.

Jun 27, 2005
Ya that Bertuzzi signing for the exact same money has proven to be fantastic....but imagine where the Leafs could be with Hyman in their lineup instead of Bertuzzi.

You're assuming that there has been no growth from Hyman and that everything is attributed to McDavid, which is ridiculous. some players take longer than other to hit their peak and Hyman could've hit his peak in Toronto if Dubas wasn't a complete muppet and refused to recognize what he had in Hyman.
Actually, Knives the rookie replaced Hyman (after Bunting) and Matthews should easily hit 60-65 this year. We got Bert for the playoffs so the jury is still out on him but it's only for one season as opposed to Hands $5.5Mx7 deal. Could Hands be growing. Sure, but when I watch him play (and now things turn subjective) he looks very much like he did in Toronto other than McDrai make even more room for him and bounce even more goals off of him. Back when Hands played for the Leafs there was a quote from Marner that basically said that M&M told Hands to just stand in front of the net and they would bounce the puck off of him. Now that's gotta be a bit exaggerated but it actually happened a few times.

Last edited:

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Mcdavid does make him better. But not every player plays with mcdavid and becomes instantly 20-30 points better. Kane has pretty much been the same player he always has been. Others have too. Some scrubs when paired with mcdavid are still scrubs. Hyman as a great finisher and net crasher has the right chemistry to benefit from playing with mcdavid. Nuge has great chemistry with mcdavid and Draisaitl too. But both hyman and nuge are great players on their own, they just provide the perfect linemates to excel with mcdrai. Not all players their level becomes better with mcdrai like they do.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Wow, that's a heck of a sentence, I will attempt to translate it and then answer.

translation:
McDavid can in a single season pot 64 goals and outscore "the pure goal scorers" and even add 80 to 90 assists. That ain't "a wash" with anyone.

response:
Yes, McDavid is THAT good but in focusing on passing vs goal scoring his goal totals drop while Hands go up.
Yes and that would hold true for any player who focuses on goals.
Except McDavid who focused on goals to score 64 .....his assists " dropped" to 89..... ha! 89.
Now that's a goal scorer PLUS

Jun 27, 2005
Yes and that would hold true for any player who focuses on goals.
Except McDavid who focused on goals and score 64 .....his assists " dropped" to 89..... ha! 89.
Now that's a goal scorer PLUS
Yes, I agree. McDavid is the greatest player ever other than Orr.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Berkshire just wanted to have a hot take to generate clicks and hits.

It worked.

Congrats to Hyman, I hope he hits 60 and then another 20 in the playoffs, regardless of how rich his dad is
You’re right, and it’s a representation of the current state of media. Everything is for views and clicks. The outrageous comments generate them…it’s sad.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Did Reinharts dad buy 90 hockey teams, resulting in rules changes? Did Reinharts dad buy a scouting service in his draft year?

A lot of NHLers grew up rich and privelaged but Hymans dad went way above and beyond, I really haven’t heard of anyone comparable. I don’t think you have to be anti-Semitic to see that.

Hyman would've made elite hockey teams if his dad hadn't bought them. & while buying the scouting service is notable, teams employ scouts for a reason. ISS could have ranked Hyman #1 in his draft, doesn't mean teams would've picked him there. Panthers Staff have said as much.

As others have said here, being the son of a former NHL player (such as Sam, The Tkachuks) gets you connections even guys like Hyman cannot buy. You're born into the OBC and your familial connection/last name alone will be wonders for you.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Hyman would've made elite hockey teams if his dad hadn't bought them. & while buying the scouting service is notable, teams employ scouts for a reason. ISS could have ranked Hyman #1 in his draft, doesn't mean teams would've picked him there. Panthers Staff have said as much.

I never said otherwise. I’m just explaining why Hymans story is different than the standard rich kid with connections. Toronto has a lot of wealthy hockey parents but his dad was infamous.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Has to be a top 3 UFA signing of all time..

Chara comes to mind, I can’t think of much else better. Savard was another big one.
Marian Hossa with the Hawks has to be up there, and I think Panarin and Pietrangelo are in the conversation. Dollar for dollar though he's got a real case

Also, Hyman's 51st goal of the year was his 200th career goal. Dude has scored 25% of his career goals this season

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Pretty amazing.

I liked the acquisition at the time thought contract might've gotten a tad expensive for production, but imagined Oilers would be happy given overall play and everything he brings to the table.

Can't say I saw this coming lol

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don’t but . . . Hyman has been vocal in his support of Israel so I think it’s a reasonable inference to make here. There’s no other reasonable explanation for singling out Hyman for his “privilege.” Most hockey players today come from upper-middle class backgrounds, the sport is super-expensive to play, obviously.
Even Friedman though discussed it in a way that seems like Hyman's dad was on a whole other level, he said there was discussion of Florida picking him solely so Hyman's dad would invest in the team. Almost everyone comes from rich backgrounds in the NHL but some guys are in a different world, Hyman has proven his work ethic has turned him into a great player but frankly it sounds like he was afforded opportunities growing up that were above his skill level and were only available to him because his dad was uber-rich

I think he would have improved but never been this prolific of a goal scorer in Toronto, his skill set complements McDavid perfectly and vice versa

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Why did Berkshire go after him instead of fellow 50G scorer Reinhart who also grew up wealthy and had the added bonus of his father being a longtime NHL player?

I don't know, but it seems like a leap to assume it's because of antisemitism.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
1711653157239.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad