Confirmed with Link: Zac Rinaldo Traded to Boston Bruins for 3rd Rounder, Sweeney Confirmed Insane

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
All I ask is for Rinaldo to never run our players.

This is hilarious. Now just don't injure anyone on our team next time we play.

Good luck in Boston Zac. Please don't hurt our stars.

Is anybody else worried about him taking runs at some of our guys when we play the B's - or will the respect be there?
didn't take him long
the return value is great
return=a 3rd rounder and a concussed #14

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Addition returns:

~11 less goals against per 82 games.

Less time on the PK.

Less cap wasted as he sits a few games each years suspended.

More goals for, as offensive zone pressure isn't destroyed by his garbage play.

These are all good reason why we should be happy the NHL did not suspend Rinaldo any games after the nasty hit on his buddy Coots... Our Conference rivals, The Bruins, will be negatively effected more games having to put up with his antics. :sarcasm:

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
These are all good reason why we should be happy the NHL did not suspend Rinaldo any games after the nasty hit on his buddy Coots... Our Conference rivals, The Bruins, will be negatively effected more games having to put up with his antics. :sarcasm:

Hahaha...that's actually not a bad way of looking at it.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I kind of liked Rinaldo.....but now that he has joined the ranks of Couturier haters....no longer a fan.

His post game not mea culpa remarks didn't help.....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I kind of liked Rinaldo.....but now that he has joined the ranks of Couturier haters....no longer a fan.

His post game not mea culpa remarks didn't help.....

What did he say? In fairness, the hit was deemed to be unworthy of supplementary discipline so I am not sure what type of mea culpa would have been warranted.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What did he say? In fairness, the hit was deemed to be unworthy of supplementary discipline so I am not sure what type of mea culpa would have been warranted.

Can't remember the exact wording....there is an interview clip on CSN somewhere. I mean yeah he wasn't disciplined but he still was negligent IMO going after a player without the puck like he did. I just didn't like his attitude when he was trying to explain himself....he said he didn't mean to hurt somebody he knows or something like that (don't think he said his friend). However, the dude does go brain dead out there...and his reptilian brain is his own worst enemy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not only did Couturier no longer have the puck, but there was less than 2 seconds left in the period so the hit was meangingless in terms of taking a player out of the play in order to positively effect your teams positioning on the ice.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Paul Stewart tore the clowns at NHL DOPS a new one.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=71930

There is not very much in life -- or hockey -- that shocks me. When the NHL's Department of Player Safety decided to essentially hands the car keys right back to serial reckless driver Zac Rinaldo, it did not shock me. Disappointed me, yes. Shocked, no.

Forgetting just for a moment about Rinaldo's recidivist rap sheet of dangerous hits in every league in which he's ever played and his attitude of casual -- even cavalier -- disregard for fellow players' safety, let's look at the play itself.

First of all, look at the game clock. The period is expiring.

Look at where the puck is. It is already about 10 feet away from the recipient of the hit, Sean Couturier.

Then look at Rinaldo's skates, slightly lifting upward in order to deliver a hit to the considerably taller player. Although Rinaldo's elbow is tucked and the main point of impact is Couturier's upper chest, the reason why the player's head snaps back so violently is that it bounces off the top of Rinaldo's shoulder pads (as I've written about several previous times, today's equipment is an unsafe-at-any-speed lethal weapon that is part of the problem, yet the tail continues to wag the dog in our sport).

In no way, shape or form is this a legitimate hockey play. It's far from the worst hit I have ever seen but it is still a despicable and suspension-worthy one. Even for a first-time offender with no history of such hits, I would have pegged it as worthy of three games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Can't remember the exact wording....there is an interview clip on CSN somewhere. I mean yeah he wasn't disciplined but he still was negligent IMO going after a player without the puck like he did. I just didn't like his attitude when he was trying to explain himself....he said he didn't mean to hurt somebody he knows or something like that (don't think he said his friend). However, the dude does go brain dead out there...and his reptilian brain is his own worst enemy.

What is he supposed to do? I tried to find the clip and couldn't find anything other than some quotes where he just says he tried to land a clean hit. I'm not sure what else you want him to say. If someone on the Flyers hit someone and injured them I wouldn't be expecting an apology, dirty hit or otherwise. This is hockey. I am sure that if Coots was seriously injured Rinaldo would probably reach out to him personally and offer some sort of apology. No need for him to say anything to the media, especially in a post-game conference with a suspension hearing likely looming and a tough loss just suffered on the ice. Would you expect someone from the Flyers to offer an apology after the game if someone is hurt due to a hit on the ice, clear or dirty?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The NHL has lost an aspect of what kids have always been taught when starting to hit in hockey - you hit with a purpose. There was no purpose to that hit whatsoever other than to punish. You hit to separate players from the puck. That's the only reason and anyone that says otherwise needs to move past the barbaric chest thumping attitude that apparently is sadly still present even in the NHL department of safety.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Not only did Couturier no longer have the puck, but there was less than 2 seconds left in the period so the hit was meangingless in terms of taking a player out of the play in order to positively effect your teams positioning on the ice.

I don't understand this perspective on the play, despite its use by Fraser and Stewart. It's one thing if every player but one meathead goes into free skate as the last few seconds tick down on an already-decided game, but I don't see in Couturier's stance that he was relaxing while waiting for the end of the period to be signalled.

Plus, it seems to me that the comment about playing until the whistle / horn sounds has been used on occasion here without much opposition.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
The NHL has lost an aspect of what kids have always been taught when starting to hit in hockey - you hit with a purpose. There was no purpose to that hit whatsoever other than to punish. You hit to separate players from the puck. That's the only reason and anyone that says otherwise needs to move past the barbaric chest thumping attitude that apparently is sadly still present even in the NHL department of safety.

The NHL also doesn't have the players get together after games for donut holes and hot chocolate. There is ample space between peewee rules and DOPS suspensions for hitting hard (but cleanly) to wear down an opponent or to throw him off his game.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
What is he supposed to do? I tried to find the clip and couldn't find anything other than some quotes where he just says he tried to land a clean hit. I'm not sure what else you want him to say. If someone on the Flyers hit someone and injured them I wouldn't be expecting an apology, dirty hit or otherwise. This is hockey. I am sure that if Coots was seriously injured Rinaldo would probably reach out to him personally and offer some sort of apology. No need for him to say anything to the media, especially in a post-game conference with a suspension hearing likely looming and a tough loss just suffered on the ice. Would you expect someone from the Flyers to offer an apology after the game if someone is hurt due to a hit on the ice, clear or dirty?

I agree with this. You can't expect him to make a public apology, especially when waiting on a decision from the DOPS. It would be a mistake for Zac to even tacitly admit that the hit was questionable. Only potentially hurts him in the future.

With that being said, some of the responses from the more persistent Bruin fans on the main boards is ridiculous, with some going as far as saying it was a "good hit." It wasn't a good hit! It was a penalty that drew a 5 and 10. Is it worthy of supplemental discipline? That is questionable with those suggesting that it is and those suggesting that it is not, including the DOPS. But it was not a "good hit." It was a major penalty, which the DOPS supported.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The NHL also doesn't have the players get together after games for donut holes and hot chocolate. There is ample space between peewee rules and DOPS suspensions for hitting hard (but cleanly) to wear down an opponent or to throw him off his game.

Hitting a player high when he's engaged along the boards with another player and was making an actual hockey play on the puck shouldn't be a legal hit.

The only thing that is going to happen in this scenario is people will get hurt. The play was useless from a hockey perspective.

We can draw a line in the sand now and ask if you are for player safety or if you'd rather keep dangerous hits in the game that don't serve an actual hockey purpose. If you want to pick the hits, then shame on you really

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't think anyone should be shocked by the reaction and defense of Rinaldo by some Bruin fans. they have been playing that game for years. hell one poster called the hit PERFECT on the main board :facepalm:.
I refuse to get sucked into that thread on the main board. its pointless to argue with the defenders of Rinaldo and some Bruin fans. I really hope someone on the Flyers steps up and makes him answer for being a reckless clown.
I am glad that turd no longer is on my hockey club.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't think anyone should be shocked by the reaction and defense of Rinaldo by some Bruin fans. they have been playing that game for years. hell one poster called the hit PERFECT on the main board :facepalm:.
I refuse to get sucked into that thread on the main board. its pointless to argue with the defenders of Rinaldo and some Bruin fans. I really hope someone on the Flyers steps up and makes him answer for being a reckless clown.
I am glad that turd no longer is on my hockey club.

The thing I don't get is that we never defended the **** he did. Any time he did some dumb ****, we were the first ones to call him out. That is ridiculous homerism on their part.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I defended him when he played it smart, esp. during that short time when he behaved and played effectively, but the window closed for him because he's just too reckless and can't resist taking a cheapshot.

Hopefully next time Rinaldo cheapshots someone, it's Crosby or McDavid or Eichel and he gets 40 games for jeopardizing the NHL marketing plan.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree with this. You can't expect him to make a public apology, especially when waiting on a decision from the DOPS. It would be a mistake for Zac to even tacitly admit that the hit was questionable. Only potentially hurts him in the future.

With that being said, some of the responses from the more persistent Bruin fans on the main boards is ridiculous, with some going as far as saying it was a "good hit." It wasn't a good hit! It was a penalty that drew a 5 and 10. Is it worthy of supplemental discipline? That is questionable with those suggesting that it is and those suggesting that it is not, including the DOPS. But it was not a "good hit." It was a major penalty, which the DOPS supported.

We got the same **** out of the Caps fans after DOPS didn't suspend Wilsgooon for the hit on BSchenn where he skated half the length of the ice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't understand this perspective on the play, despite its use by Fraser and Stewart. It's one thing if every player but one meathead goes into free skate as the last few seconds tick down on an already-decided game, but I don't see in Couturier's stance that he was relaxing while waiting for the end of the period to be signalled.

Plus, it seems to me that the comment about playing until the whistle / horn sounds has been used on occasion here without much opposition.

It's just one more season that Rinaldo shouldn't have been looking for a predatory hit. Although he is dumb enough that he probably had no idea how much time was left in the period.

The #1 reason he should be suspended is because he launched into the hit and made significant contact with a players head well after the puck had left.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Hitting a player high when he's engaged along the boards with another player and was making an actual hockey play on the puck shouldn't be a legal hit.

The only thing that is going to happen in this scenario is people will get hurt. The play was useless from a hockey perspective.

We can draw a line in the sand now and ask if you are for player safety or if you'd rather keep dangerous hits in the game that don't serve an actual hockey purpose. If you want to pick the hits, then shame on you really

This wasn't the part of your previous post with which I took issue. It was isolating hitting as being only "to separate players from the puck". In this highly competitive game, there is allowance – with gusts up to encouragement – to finish a check. Referees talk about an allowable time to check an opponent after he has gotten rid of the puck.

As for your first statement in your follow-up post, the only absolutely wrong element you identified is hitting a player high. It is legal to check an opponent while he is battling with someone else and definitely legal during a hockey play involving possession of the puck; however, the infraction occurs – and I am confident you and I agree – when the player is blindsided by a hit in this situation, resulting in injury.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think I saw someone on the MB timed the gap from when Coots played the puck to the time Rinaldo hit him at 1.8 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad