Value of: Yzerplan put 18.1 million to Holl, Gostisbehere, Reimer, Compher, Sprong and Kostin

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Maybe read before you start talking different things?

No L here, I know Yzerman worked in Detroits management. You're the one not making any sense because drunk stumbled into a discussion you didn't understand and started talking about prospects Yzerman wasn't around for.
I think you should take your own advice since I actually state at the end of that paragraph that it doesn't appear to be an issue.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Simon Edvinsson just needs to be more consistent. He doesn’t belong in the bottom pair and needs more minutes to thrive. From what I’ve seen, he kind of builds over the course of the game. If it’s not top 4, it’s the AHL.
Why don't the four D in the post you quoted have to be consistent? Ed could come up and play 20min+ a night and he and the wings would both be better off.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I know you don't read anything I say (as you have said before, but fu*k it, amiright?

you are saying that yzerman grew up in the holland era of management. You are saying that yzerman prescribed to holland's way of thinking in management when it comes to over riped players. You gave examples of hudler, berggren, etc.

I am merely pointing out that you are saying yzerman follows holland in this specific part of the prospects when it just isn't true.

now if you are saying the "relevancy" is that he takes that into account but doesn't do it then sure. But that isn't what you are saying here. Yzerman and holland have the same philosophy in the sense that they are not going to put prospects on the nhl team in a place where they will not succeed or if they will get more minutes/experience in the ahl for the specific slot they are projected to play in (ex. top 6 )

Now maybe I used the wrong example of berggren and should have used nyquist (or even tatar...never liked tatar though so I'll stay away on that one). both players at berggren's stage of development I thought were going to be our next datysuk type player that has finesse and great passing ability, (just for transparency sake). Raymond imo didn't have the preseason of god's in his first year he made the team. I could obviously be wrong but i think he had 2 goals and what 5 assists? Sure our team was not good so that made it easier to keep him around, but nyquist would still be playing in grand rapids if we had our current team in 2012-2013 (which is probably why I said berggren in the first place because I see them as similar players).

Overall, it is best for berggren to be in ahl if he is getting top 6 minutes because that is where he should be playing in the nhl when he has a chance. He should not be in the bottom 6 or even the top 9 at all. He is a top 6 type of player. Anywhere else, he is "useless" for lack of better words. He is not better than our current top 6 and pushing him down in the lineup didn't really help us last year either and if use all 4 lines like we did last year for this year (which one could argue that we are), then we wouldn't be getting much production or development with him on the ice right now.

At the same time, this is about yzerman and his management style that I don't believe for a second is the same as holland. I think it was more of a collab with babcock more than anything that over riped players in the sense that babcock just didn't want the younger kids on the team. Holland had larkin play from day one (no babcock), had franzen technically play from day one (size that babcock wanted but not mentally strong for babcocks batshit crazy tatics).

-Mantha always had the tools but never used them, so that is why he was over riped.
-Tatar was over riped because he was too erratic with the puck. He always had to do a triple deke right when he got the puck and no one was around him
-Nyquist was over riped because he was a top 6 type player (berggren) that could get more playing time in ahl than top 6 minutes in nhl until he forced himself onto the roster
-Hudler was over riped because I would imagine he was the same case as nyquist
-Edvinsson is being over riped (purely opinion) because he had his first major injury last year and having him start in GR was a foregone conclusion, even if he was "ready" to play opening day. Playing in GR at 20+ minutes (presumably) would have been better than playing on 3rd pairing getting (potentially) 14 minutes a night and being pushed to play at a much higher level with a possible shoulder discomfort/pain, if it was there.

If we didn't sign petry, edvinsson would be up and probably on the second line with chiarot. But how can one possibly know that edvinsson would recover that well from his first injury? You just don't know and anyone who says they do are full of it. Yzerman is pragmatic and analytical. He isn't going to mortgage the future development of our next "Lidstrom". He is going to treat it with kid gloves and nurture it, maybe even caress it a bit more, before he unleashes him into the wild. Same could be said for Gibbs on the Lions and what Dan Campbell did there.
I don’t know why this is such a debate. When it comes down to it both Yzerman and Holland prefer to have their young players develop in the minors. Some like Larkin and Hedman make it in pretty quick. But the Hudler, Tatar, Nyquist/Triplets all developed in the minors. It’s not like it’s a hard rule that any player needs to be in the minors but if they see the prospect as a top 6 guy they are going to the AHL to develop there and not the 3rd/4th line In the NHL.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
A few months ago people couldn’t predict the Wings would be a decent team this season so excuse me if I doubt your ability to project what they will be 5 years from now.
most people had the wings as a bubble team. the wings are only in a playoff spot by 4 points so it's not that far off really.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Why don't the four D in the post you quoted have to be consistent? Ed could come up and play 20min+ a night and he and the wings would both be better off.

My question would be is whether you think Edvinsson has shown in 22/23 season that he can be counted on to take a full time spot in the top-4 in 23/24. Personally, I do not think so, thus I have no issue with the Wings planning their 23/24 roster without counting on him.

He can still be brought up to play if he forces the Wings hand. Meaning, he shows that the team is much more likely to win with him playing. I do not think he's done that, not yet.

He will play this year, and will have a chance to show what we've been missing. It very well may be that he shows he isn't ready just yet.

Reactions: deca guard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad