Speculation: Yzerman's strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In simple terms, the strategy is still asset maximization. I don't think that's a bad strategy at all. It should be the strategy of any team not in the immediate Cup contender mix. It's pretty obvious Yzerman is simply trading guys who aren't on the 'must have' list and when value is offered. Not every move will work out - literally no GM in the history of the league can claim that for their record - but ultimately it's up to Yzerman to decide what value is fair value. I am fairly certain that we haven't lost any irreplaceable asset. I am fairly certain that the only way for the Wings to legitimately make up ground and progress toward contention is the addition of elite players.

The only real takeaway I get from these moves is that Yzerman feels that elite talent is not in the organization yet to a level where you can start focusing on the supporting cast i.e. we need chances to get elite talent more than we need guys who will be decent NHL players the next 5 years.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I love all these takes that because Detroit has not won the lottery and gone from worst to first within a few years, management must be totally inept.

Should be a menu filled with crow in a few years when Seider is contending for the Norris and the team is making playoff runs.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
yzerman is being patient and slowly building something and knows from experience that it takes time. he was a player on this team that took forever to build him a cup contending team and knows what it takes. i personally think he’s building an organization that won’t just compete for a cup for 1-2 years then fade away. i believe he wants to build a foundation that has the ability to win a cup for years and be a steady franchise. he isn’t in this for a quick run. he knows what he’s doing and if that takes a few extra years, so be it. i also believe he sold larkin on this and wasn’t sugarcoating anything and used his playing career as an example of sticking to the script and let management handle the rest.

Reactions: tyhee

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
1. RD is the biggest glaring need now. I figure #19 will pick one up somewhere.
2. We need some top 6 scoring wingers after trading ours away.
3. I'd take a decent center too.

Obviously, we need to draft some studs. I don't pay nearly as much attention to the junior leagues and future draft potential like most of you guys here do. What little I do know is usually whoever the projected top pick is and the two after that maybe. Other than that, I rely on you guys for that part.

I am looking forward to seeing Edvinsson in the lineup. I'm excited about Kasper and the Russian guy we picked up. Buchenivich or however it's spelled.

Here's to a good 2023 draft, boys.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Exactly, could have moved guys like Helm, Smith, Oulette etc when they were prospects... Sold the farm and went for it and do a proper rebuild. That was never in the cards but hind sight would have been better.
I was yelling it to anyone who would listen at the time, knowing it was futile. But when you have a Dman who is top 5 in the history of the game on your roster along with Z and Dats. You go all in while you've got em.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I love all these takes that because Detroit has not won the lottery and gone from worst to first within a few years, management must be totally inept.

Should be a menu filled with crow in a few years when Seider is contending for the Norris and the team is making playoff runs.
Yea it's gonna be hilarious when we grab a guy at 15 who ends up being our captain and most importantly player for the next decade.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
ROR was not a top 10 center at any point in time.

Boston won the cup in 2010-2011. Here is ranking of the top 20 centers from 2011. Bergeron isn't even on the list.

Not gonna take Bleacher Report as gospel and I'm just gonna stop.you right off the bat.

ROR won the Selke, had 77 points + won Conn Smythe the year St Louis won the cup.

Bergeron was 4th in Selke voting the year they won, then won 3 of the next 4. He's a first ballot hall of fame. Only elite centres win this award anymore. We're no longer in the Jere Lehtinen era lol.

No need to make this an argument about semantics when you know full well what my point is.

If you wanna push back on my point that you need an elite 1C to win a cup then fine, I'll entertain that debate, but let's not pretend those players weren't exactly that during the years they won.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I don't think Yzerman is laughing at the teams trying to win a cup by getting good hockey players. I feel like people get so caught up in the future they forget what the goal of this whole league is

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Future looks brighter and we're on the right track for sure. But there is still work to be done.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't think Yzerman is laughing at the teams trying to win a cup by getting good hockey players. I feel like people get so caught up in the future they forget what the goal of this whole league is

I wish I could like this more than once.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1677879835050.png

25-28M in cap space for next season.

You can basicly sign 4-5 players with 6M contracts, and send some kids (Kasper, Johansson, Cossa) down, to complete this team.

3M backup goalie (Varlamov?)
5M RhD (Dumba?)
5M winger (Bertuzzi back?)
7M Center (ROR to join Perron?)

20M gone and still a lot of cap space.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I get the impression Yzerman is a character guy. Fit, motivation, dedication, morale, etc. But I also think he realizes that those traits come in some interesting people and is willing to bring guys in to see if they can get it going in Detroit. But he's also going to move on if it doesn't work. Considering he seems to be able to cycle players through the organization without taking any steps backwards, why not.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I get the impression Yzerman is a character guy. Fit, motivation, dedication, morale, etc. But I also think he realizes that those traits come in some interesting people and is willing to bring guys in to see if they can get it going in Detroit. But he's also going to move on if it doesn't work. Considering he seems to be able to cycle players through the organization without taking any steps backwards, why not.
I got a lot of Holland vibes from today's press conference. Haven't heard him say "Money in, money out" yet though.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Stevie seems to be sitting back, laughing, and even helping his adversaries destroy their future for today. Boston, Florida, Ottawa and Carolina are depleting their draft pick stocks and setting themselves up for a decade of cap hell. Meanwhile, the Wings are setting up well to take advantage of it.

Boston: Aging core, and a massive contract to Pasta. Pissed away draft capital. They dont need Bert to win the Cup this year.

Ottawa, TB, Carolina, NYR, NJ all depleting draft capital for rentals and expensive core pieces.

Detroit and Buffalo will rule the division in 4-5 years.
Ottawa, Carolina and NJ will be fine.
NYR, by the way, still have Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Miller, Schneider, Cuylle, Zac Jones.

Honestly, Yzerman made it CLEAR this team isn't ready.
It's not ready to compete in the division now.
Not only that, it's behind Ottawa and Buffalo too. He said so himself.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Is Fabbro good? I can’t really watch NSH these days. Feel like that’s a reasonably affordable add we could maybe make at RHD, but his production this year is pretty uninspiring.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Johansson will be ahead of everyone. Ed is more talented but AlJo will get the first swing because he is further along and more developed (note: not better). In a perfect world, they both make it and force a vet trade but AlJo is coming

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Fair enough. Im struggling to see how Larkin fits in at this point. If Yzerman is kicking the can another 2+ years Larkin will be on the cusp of 30. Not "too old" but reaching the end of his prime years. Seems kind of odd to extend larkin but then ship off all the "higher" end NHL pieces we have.
This is what I've been on about for the last 3 months.
What Larkin does is make us a 17-22nd team. For 3-4-5 years - unless we luck into some stud at 12th overall.
When we need to be bottom 5 to get that elite, franchise-changing talent.

As good as Raymond is - he's not that.

It's the same reason why I understood Chiarot and Copp signings - but thought Kubalik and Perron were overkill.

And honestly, I think, by the sounds of it, he's going to load up in UFA.

I'm not sure I buy the Yzerplan at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad