Yzerman's Mistakes so Far (In Your Own Eyes)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This Edmonton game is a great example of how the only thing that matters when rebuilding is high end talent. Red Wings depth outplays Edmonton 80% of the game, and the only thing Detroit has to show for it is our best players getting absolutely dominated by Edmonton's
Their players are at their prime. Ours will be in 2-5years

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where are all these other conversations occurring? Reddit? More often than not reddit seems to function as an echo chamber, with little depth to the conversation.

Reddit is one place. Discord is another popular avenue for chat.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As of today, the Wings have the fewest games played by qualifying rookies in the league. Not finding a way to get kids up for a look here or there... that's not a good look for a rebuilding team.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
As of today, the Wings have the fewest games played by qualifying rookies in the league. Not finding a way to get kids up for a look here or there... that's not a good look for a rebuilding team.

If it means a playoff appearance for Ray and Mo who are still basically kids, and are for sure our future. It's worth it. The other prospects will be coming into a successful team (hopefully) and have alot less pressure.. that's if it all works out. I wish we had some kids up this year also but you can't complain much about the Wings or Griffins success at the moment.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If it means a playoff appearance for Ray and Mo who are still basically kids, and are for sure our future. It's worth it. The other prospects will be coming into a successful team (hopefully) and have alot less pressure.. that's if it all works out. I wish we had some kids up this year also but you can't complain much about the Wings or Griffins success at the moment.
Every other playoff team has been able to squeeze a rookie in here or there. Are the Wings that fragile that sitting a Ghost, Maatta, Holl, Petry, Kostin, Fabbri, etc... for a week or two would completely tank our ability to stay afloat? If that's the case then we probably need to cycle some kids in to make sure they're made of sterner stuff than what we've got currently.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't perceive us as a rebuilding team, anymore. It is obvious Yzerman wants to make playoffs. He has signed many veterans and keeps Berggren, Soderblom and Edvidson in the minors.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
i beg to differ. norrisnick can complain plenty

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Every other playoff team has been able to squeeze a rookie in here or there. Are the Wings that fragile that sitting a Ghost, Maatta, Holl, Petry, Kostin, Fabbri, etc... for a week or two would completely tank our ability to stay afloat? If that's the case then we probably need to cycle some kids in to make sure they're made of sterner stuff than what we've got currently.
Fixed that for you.

I think it is important to bring the rookies in slowly, as in having one or max two rookies on the team every season. Now when we are skipping a season with rookies, they are going to exceed that in one of the coming seasons.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I will love this thread forever if we all agree to make it the exclusive home for the incessant dead horse beating and whataboutism going on, leaving the rest of the site alone.

It could be our Australia, founded by all the criminally awful takes. :D

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I do think the Wings could have afforded to bring in a rookie this year but I really think Yzerman made moves with the idea that Ed would not be ready at the beginning of the season. I would have preferred him to not bring in both Holl and Petry, but it is what it is.

As for Berggy, he didn't win a spot out of camp. His compete level and attention to defense did not put him in our top 12. Since then he has played much better in the callup and in the AHL, but sadly for him a spot hasn't really opened up. He doesn't bring the elements Kostin or Fischer do and both have added something to this team this year. He needed to go in and outplay a guy like Sprong, Veleno, Ras or Fabbri and he didn't.

Reactions: jkutswings

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don't see a problem, Wings brings them in one by one now. After this season Ghost is out and Ed is in. After next season Fabbri out, Kasper in. After next Kostin is most likely gone too, if Fischer and Perron are still here after next season, Mazur or Danielson pushes them down in a lineup. I see Sprong getting a 2-year deal and if he keeps this up for next 2 years, he is going want to get paid most likely so might be gone by then. And if 2 years from now Perron is still here, then he might be close to retire. Either way thats another spot open.

Whats the rush? Team culture is great and they are winning, it's better to keep that going on and it's also going to be easier for the kids to jump in a team thats winning and learn by winning, than learn and struggle.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
The integration of youth is one component of the future team - the other is at what point SY aggregates lesser talent and potential prospects to secure key pieces into the mix. The trade deadline and offseason acquisitions in coming years will make or break this core. Larkin, Raymond, Seider…at what point do we have critical mass?

Reactions: jkutswings

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Whats the rush? Team culture is great and they are winning, it's better to keep that going on and it's also going to be easier for the kids to jump in a team thats winning and learn by winning, than learn and struggle.
Mazur not getting 5 games this year is going to derail the rebuild.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
True enough, but I am expecting that to change a little after March 9, especially if they have some padding and a body or two get moved out.

Reactions: 19 for president

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ottawa and Buffalo are prime examples bringing more rookies in. That had lead to huge success.

what rookies?

Ottawa literally has 1 rookie that has more than 7 games played this year, Buffalo has 2

and all 3 are only playing like 14 minutes a night

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Fixed that for you.

I think it is important to bring the rookies in slowly, as in having one or max two rookies on the team every season. Now when we are skipping a season with rookies, they are going to exceed that in one of the coming seasons.

it's incredibly myopic at best and will probably lead to some prospects like Johansson never even getting a shot at all before they're with some other team

and for what? so we can parade around someone like Holl for 15 minutes a night?

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
a few thoughts..

1- I agree that ideally we'd have a rookie or two up this year. At some point you gotta bring em up, and you don't want to do it all at once.

2- I think to some extent, Yzerman has probably been a bit surprised by a few developments - One, the Wings have been pretty damn healthy, at least at spots where Ed and Berggren would come up for an extended period of time (I'd also argue he probably didn't expect Petry to be available and wouldn't have signed Holl if he had known). I would be a lot of fake internet dollars he planned on Ed coming up after the inevitable D injury and was half counting on Fabbri getting seriously hurt again. We just haven't had it. Two, they're playing so well, that if you don't get an injury, I don't have an issue with him standing pat. Not trying to fully excuse him, but I don't think the season is going according to how he thought it would go (in a good way.)

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
it's incredibly myopic at best and will probably lead to some prospects like Johansson never even getting a shot at all before they're with some other team

and for what? so we can parade around someone like Holl for 15 minutes a night?
Truth be told, Holl is doing a great job as a scratch.

We have been incredibly healthy at D this season. Apart from December, the forwards have been generally healthy too.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Is it myopic that we are using Holl as our 7D or is it myopic that you continue to complain about players like Albert Johansson(who is actually playing a lot of minutes right now) while the Wings are excelling.

Guess it's perspective.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Is it myopic that we are using Holl as our 7D or is it myopic that you continue to complain about players like Albert Johansson(who is actually playing a lot of minutes right now) while the Wings are excelling.

Guess it's perspective.

using "the Wings are doing well right now" as an excuse for not getting a look at someone like Johansson at all before he loses waiver immunity next year and the Wings get rid of him is like....the definition of being myopic yes

Reactions: norrisnick

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
using "the Wings are doing well right now" as an excuse for not getting a look at someone like Johansson at all before he loses waiver immunity next year and the Wings get rid of him is like....the definition of being myopic yes
So you're telling me it's not time to panic.

And, no Ricky. It's not so we can "parade Holl out there 15 mins a night"

Holl hasn't played since January 31st, so if Albert Johansson were in Holl's spot on this team it would be bad for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad