Yzerman

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Is it possible that Yzerman is already the best GM in the league? I am watching these trades happen (PHI and NYR today) and I think most NHL GM's are real dumb. Yzerman seems to be a step ahead...I legit think he might be the smartest in the league.

Also, I was thinking maybe the pain and suffering we have gone through as a result of Kenny Holland's mismanagement was actually worth it, considering Yzerman came home as a result. It feels so nice to actually have some hope back...it's been a while.

Reactions: Henkka

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think he very well might be. This draft and free agency is exciting for Wings fans once again. After watching his presser yesterday he states some guys are just too dominant to not be in the NHL ala Seider and mentions about how many picks we have and prospects and that they can be used for trades to bring in more talent for the young guys to play with and learn from. Makes me think we may see one more big splash before opening night. People think we are gonna tank again but i actually do think the Wings will be playoff bound again this year. Healthy players, Larkin, fabbri, vrana, bert, seider,leddy, hronek, ned and greiss plus others. There's definately talent there and we have cap space and money picks and a few high end prospects.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yzerman is one of the few GM's that has a pretty blank slate to work with and a clear direction he wants to take with multiple plans on how to get there. I think most GMs don't really make long-term plans (2-3 years), as they feel their needs change from year to year. Yzerman has the luxury to do so and was in a similar situation with Tampa, so he is familiar with the kind of rebuild/long-term planning it takes to produce good hockey teams.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yzerman is better than Holland. Until we make the playoffs I don't know if we can call him the best.

He has made what seem to be some very shrewd moves, but we still need to see if they pay off.

It is nice to see some creative asset management for once.
Agree. The hardest part of a rebuild is getting from mediocre to the top. It's not hard to go from the bottom to "not sucking as bad".

He's a shrewd trader without a doubt, but teams are built on the draft. Need some more homeruns like Kuch and Point before we declare him a genius.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
LOL.

It's only for 2 years while he accumulates more talent. Firing Disco was good enough for me.

ah yes talent accumulation

5hfx49.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
ah yes talent accumulation

5hfx49.jpg
LOL, that's awesome. You're on a roll today.

I was just laughing at the McJesus for 7th comment.... I don't like Blash, I think goalies make crappy head coaches because they always trend towards low event hockey like they want everyone to play goalie.

At the same time, I don't think this team has enough pieces yet for a real coach. Blash's extension was 2 years, I can live with it.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
At least he is nowhere near Stan Bowman and him trading Boquist + for Jones and then sign him to a 7 year 9.5AAV salary. That's insane. Jake Bean also on the market and the ask is a 2nd. 23 years old i'd take a chance on it

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In my admittedly biased opinion, I think Yzerman and Sakic are a clear notch above the rest currently. At the very least we can know our confidence isn’t made out of blind homerism, as other fan’s teams frequently praise him.
Too bad Francis can't match the other HOF centers. Ron has been a disappointment so far, waaay too conservative as if he doesn't even realize there's a cap floor.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yzerman is a poker player 100%. He never shows his cards! He has so much clout because he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He has won at every level playing and management. Let's relax until proven otherwise because Holland was given a leach for a long time when his moves were CLEARY (pun intended)not working.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves

He’s in his second year and we have what, 4 players locked down right now? Let’s wait at least one season of his vision and their on ice performance before we start to rate him as DRW GM

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
The thing about Stevie is that nearly every trade he's made, when you look at it, it's win/win for both teams. From our perspective, some of them (the Fabbri trade, the Mantha trade, etc...), the win seems stronger on our side (as it should be), but you can see why the other team made the trade and what they are getting out of it.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
You know... Fans can be quite different when things are looking up for their teams. The Wings are in a rebuilding phase and so far it looks promising.

I personally want to save this kind of energy for whenever we have our next parade on Woodward Ave.

But if you're feeling hyped and it comes out in the form of, "We have the best GM in the league!" then do you, man. Seriously. I ain't mad at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad