Yzerman Season-Ending Press Conference

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Why would anyone even bother to ask, "Is there any area where you feel like you're all set?" What a wasted question.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Always good hearing Stevie weigh in on things.

Loved the way he talked about how the onus is on the players and young kids to train and get back in shape. For those that don't Yzerman says they have the perfect excuse not to train (the pandemic) but those that do and want to play will find a way.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015

Loved the way he talked about how the onus is on the players and young kids to train and get back in shape. For those that don't Yzerman says they have the perfect excuse not to train (the pandemic) but those that do and want to play will find a way.
I’d say that’s a big part of the players we target in the draft, guys that obsess over getting better/work horse/gym rat types.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019

Jimmy Howard probably hasn't stepped foot in a gym since the lockdown

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
:laugh:

That shit was bizzare
"My comments or remarks on the head coach haven't changed from what I said at the end of Febuary."
Okay we're going to move on to Ted Kulfan, Ted
Ted: "Well, just following up on that, does that mean you're bringing him back?"
Yzerman: "That's what I said! I guess that was what I inferred"

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

That shit was bizzare
"My comments or remarks on the head coach haven't changed from what I said at the end of Febuary."
Ted: "Well, just following up on that, does that mean you're bringing him back?"

All of the exchanges about coaching were super awkward in my opinion. People can read into them however they like I guess, but it didn't sound like a ringing endorsement to my ears.

Reactions: hkydave04

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
All of the exchanges about coaching were super awkward in my opinion. People can read into them however they like I guess, but it didn't sound like a ringing endorsement to my ears.
He may have just known he was going to take shit for bringing him back and really didn’t want to deal with it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd say the Helene St. James one when she brought up some conversation between the two of them was the most awkward, but yea he was abrasive whenever Balshill was brought up.

E: quoted wrong post

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am glad he held his ground on coaching and I am in line with how he responded you simply can't judge this team's performance from a coaching angle the team is totally in a rebuild and was in a freefall before that. Coaching doesn't matter at the point and I am glad he didn't budge on the corporate speak of supporting the coach, telling it straight, and moving on as a non issue

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Agreed.

I'm trying not to read too much into it but it seems like Yzerman is dancing around saying that Blashill absolutely will be the head coach next season.

At one point he even says "it's nobody's business but ours...." :laugh:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He may have just known he was going to take shit for bringing him back and really didn’t want to deal with it.

That too. I was just expecting a bit more conviction based upon the tweets that were going out. He literally couldn't bring himself to say that they were exercising the option.

Reactions: hkydave04

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
That too. I was just expecting a bit more conviction based upon the tweets that were going out. He literally couldn't bring himself to say that they were exercising the option.
I’m wondering if he decided on bringing him back but hasn’t decided on contract details such as exercising an option or extending him. (Or at least hasn’t discussed it with Blashill yet and wants to tell him first)

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Yzerman also said he may have some say in Jeff's assistants going forward. Perhaps Lane Lambert somehow becomes one of Jeff's assistants.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think the Blashill comments came off to me like someone who is aware of the public perception of Blashill, and doesn’t want to answer the reporters asking the same question over and over.

“Like I said what I said, and no matter how you phrase your question, the answer is going to stay the same. It’s what I said in February, it’s what I reiterated today. I don’t plan on making a change.”

Is there a little bit of open ended nature to how it was phrased? For sure, and I think if something incredible reveals itself, he will make the change. Like when Dantonio was telling everyone he was coming back to MSU and he believes in completing circles or whatever nonsense. And then all of the sudden, poof, MSU needs a new head coach.

I think we will get a sense of how comfortable Jeff is when he gets in front of these beat reporters. If he also seems awkward, then there might be legs.

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit

That shit was bizzare
Facepalm moment

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
“Like I said what I said, and no matter how you phrase your question, the answer is going to stay the same. It’s what I said in February, it’s what I reiterated today. I don’t plan on making a change.”

"So you haven't spoken to Jeff about it since February?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad