Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg And Fedorov Or MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel And Barkov?

Which group do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's four first-ballot Hall of Famers in the first group and three bonafide top 20 all-time great centers.

The younger group only has one of those IMO, if he stays the course.

Reactions: Voight

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
There's four first-ballot Hall of Famers in the first group and three bonafide top 20 all-time great centers.

The younger group only has one of those IMO, if he stays the course.

Probably pretty safe to say the younger guys will also all be first ballot hall of famers, imo.

Would say when all is said and done, it won't be absolutely wild if these guys had similar value. It's essentially close to the 2-4 best guys of one generation vs the 2-4 best of another generation, maybe w a bit of drop off for fed and barkov. Has McD and Lemeiux removed. And drai and Lindros removed.

Mackinnon ~ sakic
Eichel ~ Yzerman
Matthews ~ Forsberg
Barkov ~ Fedorov

May seem ridiculous now, but in 20 years when everyone is done it could be a lot closer.

I have a crush on Forsberg for whatever reason so I'm gonna go w that group.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This won't be close.

Mack is fantastic so far - but Sakic's peak season of 2001 is on another level. No way to argue Mack has surpassed this yet, nor that he would. Advantage Sakic.
Yzerman scored 155 points at his best. Adjust for era - Eichel will never come anywhere close to scoring at that rate. Big advantage Yzerman
Forsberg vs Matthews. Forsberg is one of those players who at his best was insane, truly great peak. His prime, and certainly career suffer - but for peak he's hard to beat. I actually think super highly of Matthews, and maybe he puts together an insane season that comes close to some of these guys - but absolute best case scenario is he comes close to matching it, he wouldn't top it. Much more likely this remains easy advantage Forsberg.
Fedorov put together a fantastic season in 1994. Many here call it one of the best seasons ever. I personally think it gets overrated quite a bit - but it's still certainly better than anything Barkov has done, or will done. Advantage Fedorov.

The poll isn't clear if we only get them for one peak season, or for a longer set of years in prime. I think if it's prime - the advantage for the older guys is even stronger, as they collectively had a fantastically consistent prime. Very strong batch of players/

Reactions: NotLeddy and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This won't be close.

Mack is fantastic so far - but Sakic's peak season of 2001 is on another level. No way to argue Mack has surpassed this yet, nor that he would. Advantage Sakic.
Yzerman scored 155 points at his best. Adjust for era - Eichel will never come anywhere close to scoring at that rate. Big advantage Yzerman
Forsberg vs Matthews. Forsberg is one of those players who at his best was insane, truly great peak. His prime, and certainly career suffer - but for peak he's hard to beat. I actually think super highly of Matthews, and maybe he puts together an insane season that comes close to some of these guys - but absolute best case scenario is he comes close to matching it, he wouldn't top it. Much more likely this remains easy advantage Forsberg.
Fedorov put together a fantastic season in 1994. Many here call it one of the best seasons ever. I personally think it gets overrated quite a bit - but it's still certainly better than anything Barkov has done, or will done. Advantage Fedorov.

The poll isn't clear if we only get them for one peak season, or for a longer set of years in prime. I think if it's prime - the advantage for the older guys is even stronger, as they collectively had a fantastically consistent prime. Very strong batch of players/

If Fedorov doesn't get hurt in '94. good chance he wins the scoring title and adds that to his other awards he actually did win. Would be the first and only player to win the Selke + Art Ross in the same year - Sakic of course was a couple points & votes away from doing the same thing in 2001.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
It is one of those polls where even 'AINEC' seems close. You take out one of the guys from the first group, and I'd still take any 3 older guys over 4 todays guys. P.S. In todays NHL all 4 older guys would dominate even more than back in their days.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad