Yzerman/Fedorov/Lidstrom Versus Sakic/Forsberg/Roy

Which trio would you rather have for a playoff run if every player was at his best?

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This is a tie IMO. The margin of error exceeds any perceived distance between them.

Why isn't tie an option?

Reactions: Eisen

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Well Sakic was good but this is clearly Forsberg, the main focus for the opposition was to stop forsberg and he could take charge of a game as no one else. He was the avs main threat. He also was defensively dominant with a higher ppg. I don't think a gm would chose Sakic over peak forsberg, no nock on sakic he was great

View attachment 464646
View attachment 464647

(47) Peter Forsberg in the words of Joe Sakic - YouTube

A difference of 0.04 PPG is 3pts over 82 games, which is irrelevant. But why are you using playoff career PPG when the question is about peak (and the poster you're quoting is clearly talking about best single playoff run)? Sakic clearly has the best playoff run between them.

Bolded is definitely not true. Last time I checked, avs won the cup in 2001 when the opposition was 100% focused on Sakic because Forsberg played 0 games in the WCF and SCF. Forsberg got to sit at home and win a ring thanks to Sakic.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
A difference of 0.04 PPG is 3pts over 82 games, which is irrelevant. But why are you using playoff career PPG when the question is about peak (and the poster you're quoting is clearly talking about best single playoff run)? Sakic clearly has the best playoff run between them.

Bolded is definitely not true. Last time I checked, avs won the cup in 2001 when the opposition was 100% focused on Sakic because Forsberg played 0 games in the WCF and SCF. Forsberg got to sit at home and win a ring thanks to Sakic.

Well you can look at best playoff ppg, forsberg still has it with a better defensive game. Maybe if you narrow it to best series

2001 forsberg still had the better ppg 1.27 , despite injurie. That hardly speaks against him . 2002 he again got back to PO after injury's and had most points of all NHL players , 2002-2003 he won the Art ross and Hart. The year after injury's again .

Forsberg had a lot of injury's, that was also partly cause of the treatment he got. But a healthy Forsberg was a dominant player that was very hard to stop.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
WE have not seen much what a 1989 Yzerman playing for the cup on a legit contender looked like too, which can skew the question a little bit here having the winning post peak older Yzerman in mind here.

If we use their best when they had the chance to display it, Colorado has a very good argument, Roy 1993 with 1996 Sakic and peak Forsberg is quite ridiculous. Detroit was healthier I think and had better debt most year's when those trios faced each other making it not fully fair to count cups to judge the trios at their best, specially the 2002 Wings cup with Hasek-Hull-Robitaille-Larionov-Chelios-Shanahan. And on the 1997 cups Mike Vernon won the Smythe and he is not listed here.

Well Sakic was good but this is clearly Forsberg,

Not many non Gretzky-Lemieux skater had clearly a better run than 1996 Sakic playoff no ?

18G, 34P in 22 games, 6 goal winners, almost 5 shot a game.

RkPlayerAgePosGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%TOIATOI
1Joe Sakic*26C221816341014126069818.4
2Valeri Kamensky29LW22101222112873025617.9
3Peter Forsberg*22C22101121101873015020.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And those were 17 in 18 games before the Florida series that was arguably a bit more in the bag.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Well you can look at best playoff ppg, forsberg still has it with a better defensive game. Maybe if you narrow it to best series

2001 forsberg still had the better ppg 1.27 , despite injurie. That hardly speaks against him . 2002 he again got back to PO after injury's and had most points of all NHL players , 2002-2003 he won the Art ross and Hart. The year after injury's again .

Forsberg had a lot of injury's, that was also partly cause of the treatment he got. But a healthy Forsberg was a dominant player that was very hard to stop.

This is completely false. Forsbergs best PPG playoffs was in 01/02 with 27pts in 20 GP (1.35 PPG). Sakic in 95/96 had 34pts in 22 GP (1.55 PPG). Sakic had a way better run, you can make a poll and find out.

Lol Forsberg had 1.27 PPG (4 goals) through 2 rounds, Sakic had 1.24 PPG (13 goals) through 4 rounds. 99% of people are taking Sakics run.

I don't know what his ross or hart have to do with anything.

Nobody denied that Forsberg was a great player. The point is that Sakic was better in the playoffs. Make a poll comparing their best runs if you want.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hasek beat Roy in the WCF and Olympics.

Next
Who cares. 4 cups 3 conn smyths. Most playoff win ever by a goalie and will probably never be beaten. Roy was a better playoff goalie and that’s a fact.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think this is ridiculously close and think you can make an argument going either way. I will say though, that if your argument is for the Red Wings trio because they won more cups, my argument against that is that those teams are a lot more than just that trio of players. The Red Wings had a much better built team, they had a all-time checking line, they had a great supporting cast and amazing coaching. The Avs had some top end pieces but, and this is coming from an Avs fan, it always felt that Lacroix kept going for the flashy/big name add and not always the one that would mesh well with the team. There also was not a focus on the blue line, which I felt severely hurt the Avs when compared to the other big teams at the time.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
This is completely false. Forsbergs best PPG playoffs was in 01/02 with 27pts in 20 GP (1.35 PPG). Sakic in 95/96 had 34pts in 22 GP (1.55 PPG). Sakic had a way better run, you can make a poll and find out.

Lol Forsberg had 1.27 PPG (4 goals) through 2 rounds, Sakic had 1.24 PPG (13 goals) through 4 rounds. 99% of people are taking Sakics run.

I don't know what his ross or hart have to do with anything.

Nobody denied that Forsberg was a great player. The point is that Sakic was better in the playoffs. Make a poll comparing their best runs if you want.

Maybe you should look again :huh:

upload_2021-9-14_20-30-16.png

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Colorado. "At their best," Roy > Lidstrom pretty decisively. Lidstrom's biggest attribute was his consistency and longevity of greatness, which isn't being asked here. So even if the centers come close, Roy tips it over the edge for me.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Head to head Roy never beat Hasek. Sucks to hear, I know, but it's true.
It is what it is but I think Roy was a better playoff goalie and I think a lot of people would agree. I think a poll is in order. I would be surprised if Roy loses.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
I would put Forsberg Sakic ahead of Fedorov Yzerman and Roy Lidstrom that might be a wash so Avs trio.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If every player was at his best, then you have the best playoff Roy on your hand, so this is an automatic pick for me, for picking between the trio vs trio.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yzerman vs Sakic and Fedorov vs Foppa ia a wash to me. Lids vs Roy tips it to Detroit for me. It's so close, though.

Forceofnature

Sep 18, 2021
It is what it is but I think Roy was a better playoff goalie and I think a lot of people would agree. I think a poll is in order. I would be surprised if Roy loses.

How many bad teams did Roy play with?
You really think Hasek would have fared worse if they traded teams?
No way in my book.
Hasek is the goat and should have a clear spot as number 5 all time along with Gretz, Mario, howe and Orr.

Reactions: I am not exposed

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
How many bad teams did Roy play with?
You really think Hasek would have fared worse if they traded teams?
No way in my book.
Hasek is the goat and should have a clear spot as number 5 all time along with Gretz, Mario, howe and Orr.
It is what it is. How great would lindros be if he didn’t get concussions? How Great would Lemieux have been without injuries and Cancer?
Don’t act like Roy was only good because he played on good teams and if Hasek played on better teams he would be too 5 all - time. Roy was just as good as Hasek and has a more successful career to prove it. Hasek was not miles better then Roy like some suggest. They were very even Roy has cups and conn Smythes and Hasek has Vezinas. But if I had to choose one goalie to be top 10 all time it would be Roy not Hasek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad