Yzerman’s rookie year

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
I was only 8 years old during the 1983-84. Wow, has hockey changed!

They were 31-42-7... and still made the playoffs... They had one 40+ goal scorer and three 30+ goal scorers.

Some interesting teammates... Kenny Holland, Ted Nolan, and Barry Melrose!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was only 8 years old during the 1983-84. Wow, has hockey changed!

They were 31-42-7... and still made the playoffs... They had one 40+ goal scorer and three 30+ goal scorers.

Some interesting teammates... Kenny Holland, Ted Nolan, and Barry Melrose!
They called the Norris division the Snore-is division because it was so bad. It's why people shouldn't really be comparing this rebuild to the Dead Things era. In the Dead Wings era they were awful for years and missed the playoffs when only 4 or 5 teams didn't make it in.

It's also what makes the Blues playoff streak less impressive. Half of it was in an era where nearly everybody made the playoffs.

Reactions: Retire91

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LOL considering Holland an NHL player is very generous. He only suited up for 4 games and he has zero wins and almost 5 GAA. But yes for 3 games he was Yzerman's teammate.

It's probably widely known but just to share Yzerman was actually not the preferred player by wings brass in the draft. They were extremely hopeful to get Pat LaFontaine
Yzerman wasn't a popular choice with everyone when the Red Wings selected him in '83 draft

Is his rookie season largely considered the end of the dead wings or was it turning around before 83?

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pat Lafontaine was a really great player, who managed also score +100 points twice and career high was 148 points, when Yzerman's was 155.

Just unluckier guy, concussions shortened his career.

Reactions: Retire91

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
LOL considering Holland an NHL player is very generous. He only suited up for 4 games and he has zero wins and almost 5 GAA. But yes for 3 games he was Yzerman's teammate.

It's probably widely known but just to share Yzerman was actually not the preferred player by wings brass in the draft. They were extremely hopeful to get Pat LaFontaine
Yzerman wasn't a popular choice with everyone when the Red Wings selected him in '83 draft

Is his rookie season largely considered the end of the dead wings or was it turning around before 83?

I did not know Holland played 4 games.

Anyhow, here is one extremely important fact to consider.

All our core players were lucky picks.

1. Yzerman. The wings brass wanted LaFontaine. Luckily they did not get the guy they initially wanted and ended up with Yzerman. Bowman wanted/threatened to trade Yzerman to Ottawa.
2. Lidstrom. We got him in the 3rd round
3. Fedorov. Round 4
4. Datsyuk. Round 6
5. Zetterberg. Round 7

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He was definitely the start of something good and a turn around, but it was still Dead Wings through 85-86 with only a 17 win season that year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I knew about Lafontaine and Turgeon but actually had to look up who was drafted first overall Yzerman's draft year.

Brian Lawton(??) He was the first US born player drafted 1st overall. Kicked around with a few teams and ended up with 266 points in 401 games.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I saw that too I was wondering if maybe Minnesota just wet the bed on scouting that year but it turns out Lawton was ranked number 1 by NHL Central Scouting. It almost makes me wonder about fraud lol like did someone on an original six with a 4th overall in a favor from their buddies and got a player ranked above their guy. hahaha

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
9b1c1935bde942151daa457d3bcd3f53.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad