News Article: Yvan Cournoyer talks about Habs captaincy

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Yeah... divide in the room! :scared:

Actually, this is the first time since forever that we seem to have a very tight group with great leadership and a "team first" attitude.

All the guys who were asked about captaincy said the same thing: this team has plenty of leadership and it doesn't matter much who actually gets the letter. Everybody will follow.
Saying one thing to the media is different than knowing players on the team.

Don't believe me. I really don't care.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't know...first of all, I think having the C on one's jersey is more ceremonial more than anything. Leadership always comes from a group of players.

However, when I think of a captain, I think of a guy who leads by example, especially in critical times and is there a better 'big game' player than Subban on the Habs right now.

He's always been at his best the bigger the stage (performance vs. Rangers this year notwithstanding)

A real leader is the guy who brings out the best in his teammates, not just himself. Not saying Subban lacks that quality, but let's not assume talent and media presence translate into a captaincy.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Saying one thing to the media is different than knowing players on the team.

Don't believe me. I really don't care.

Of course we have to consider the media "filter".

But even then, you can sense when a group seems to be on the same vibe and not.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

If he could stay healthier and was going to be used for more minutes per game, I could see it but without that he just isn't in play, imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Gilbert got it if Pleks and Markov decided they didn't want it.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If the players vote it will be Subban, followed by Plekanec and than Gallagher.

Markov does not want captaincy nor would the players (barring Pacio and DD vote for him).

There is a divide in the room.

I didn't realize you played for the Montreal Canadiens. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad