Player Discussion Youth Movement

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kakko has 2 points in 9 games and is barely noticable.

Krav went back to KHL.

Chytil could't make the team.

Lias is struggling to be a bottom 6 forward after being taken in the first round 2 years ago.

It's just a dissapointment. They don't need to be dominating but it to get pretty much nothing out of those 4 players so far is upsetting. It doesn't mean they're busts, but it has not been an ideal start.

Kakko shows flashes. It's not instant gratification with him. He does some nice things on the PP and cycle. Him with Kreider is doing him no favors. He needs a small guy like Straka/Callahan/Hagelin to cycle with.

Chytil will be back maybe even for Tuesday.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Kakko has 2 points in 9 games and is barely noticable.

Krav went back to KHL.

Chytil could't make the team.

Lias is struggling to be a bottom 6 forward after being taken in the first round 2 years ago.

It's just a dissapointment. They don't need to be dominating but it to get pretty much nothing out of those 4 players so far is upsetting. It doesn't mean they're busts, but it has not been an ideal start.

All these guys are ultra talented. But all have been rushed. That's the problem. Brought to New York too soon and then dumped in the AHL to 'adhere to the system'. And in Kakko's case, just because he can play at NHL level doesn't mean he should. One more year in Liiga would've done him wonders. In fact letting them all marinate in their respective Euro leagues until 20-22 yo would've been the best option. These are the leagues that developed them into enticing prospects in the first place. I understand we want total control of our guys and aim to modify their development to suit our needs. But I'm not so sure that's a sound game-plan as it pertains to teenagers with no previous experience in North America. JMHO

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Or that players take time to develop.

The problem is that people around here conviced themselves that Kakko is an instant superstar and that the young players are all 100% ready to take on major roles. As such, this team is a Cup contender. The same people ignored arguments when told that young players need development time and that there was a solid chance that this team was actually going to be worse or the same as last year. So now, it is time to find scapegoats for the reasons of why their pie in the sky expectations are not coming to fruition.
This 1000%

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ideal? No. But hardly completely unexpected. The believe that the K boys would be instant 50 point scorers was a tab optimistic. Chytil struggled and is now excelling in Hartford. He will be back. Andersson does need more minutes, but he is hardly struggling in his role.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yet we were told in the offseason that Kakko was the most NHL ready prospect in the draft and the concern over his age being 18 wasn't an issue then.

Reactions: mschmidt64

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yet we were told in the offseason that Kakko was the most NHL ready prospect in the draft and the concern over his age being 18 wasn't an issue then.
You mean by the same people that had this team pegged as a playoff contender?

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

He didn't look like a finished product but he certainly looked NHL ready at the World Championships.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Something tells me that if we just left Kravtsov overseas, and didn't have some of these young players previously play in the NHL, that we wouldn't be going down this path.

Because then we'd be talking about Chytil dominating the AHL as a 20 year old, the starts of Keane, Shesterkin and Lindgren, how good our trio of first rounders has looked since the 2018 draft, and the steady transitions of Hajek and Fox into an NHL lineup.

The exclamation point would be ADA's great offensive start and that George looks like the real deal.

But all the kids aren't putting up inflated numbers in lesser leagues, or coming off seasons in which they did. So there's no fantasy bubble to dream about. And that changes the tone of the whole conversation.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
While the WC has NHL players involved, it's miles away from NHL competition.

I mean its miles away from the grind of the NHL or an NHL season. But I'm pretty sure the Canadian squad Kakko scored 2 goals against in the opening game is at least close in talent to the crappola Devils squad that embarrassed us on Thursday.

Anyway, like I said in another thread, at the WC (or pretty much any time I've seen him play) Kakko looked like his focus was just playing hockey. He doesn't wow you in transition but when he got the puck in the offensive zone he wasn't losing it until he made something happen. He was beating NHL vets one on one with his size or moves or both. Now he acts as if he holds onto the puck for more than 5 seconds it is going to explode.

To put it another way I dont know why a player would shrug off Damon Severson like he's a 6'2" fly at the WC and suddenly be unable to do anything against the same player a few months later in the NHL.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I mean its miles away from the grind of the NHL or an NHL season. But I'm pretty sure the Canadian squad Kakko scored 2 goals against in the opening game is at least close in talent to the crappola Devils squad that embarrassed us on Thursday.

Anyway, like I said in another thread, at the WC (or pretty much any time I've seen him play) Kakko looked like his focus was just playing hockey. He doesn't wow you in transition but when he got the puck in the offensive zone he wasn't losing it until he made something happen. He was beating NHL vets one on one with his size or moves or both. Now he acts as if he holds onto the puck for more than 5 seconds it is going to explode.

To put it another way I dont know why a player would shrug off Damon Severson like he's a 6'2" fly at the WC and suddenly be unable to do anything against the same player a few months later in the NHL.

I think it's because those NHL players weren't playing at the "NHL intensity" level. They just finished a season, one where most of their teams didn't make the playoffs or got bounced early, and most really aren't going full bore for the glory of country in that tourney. That's just the feeling I get when watching the play.

I was "lucky" enough to play against a couple of NHLers in rec leagues back during one of the lockouts. They were crazy good but I held my own at points....not because I'm that damn good but because they were going at 1% intensity.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

The transition from across the sea is huge, if he was in north america the last 5 years he would probably be a year or 2 ahead of where he is. It's tough, language, size of rink, speed of the game, better goalies, better dmen, less time and space. Its hockey but it's a totally different way of playing it. Buch, Kravtsov, Andersson, and Chytil all struggled or are struggling with this. All those players are important to our future and I have faith they will be big contributors going forward

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

I think it's because those NHL players weren't playing at the "NHL intensity" level. They just finished a season, one where most of their teams didn't make the playoffs or got bounced early, and most really aren't going full bore for the glory of country in that tourney. That's just the feeling I get when watching the play.

I was "lucky" enough to play against a couple of NHLers in rec leagues back during one of the lockouts. They were crazy good but I held my own at points....not because I'm that damn good but because they were going at 1% intensity.

Those NHLrs were playing at full intensity at the WC. Kakko was blowing by them because he was in his element. Familiar with the larger surface and comfortable on team Finland. He is in an entirely different situation now, learning to adjust to a new style.
Very little separates NHLrs from each other, differences are miniscule. Something as simple as a player’s timing being off can make the difference between a 1st liner and an AHL call-up.

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Those NHLrs were playing at full intensity at the WC. Kakko was blowing by them because he was in his element. Familiar with the larger surface and comfortable on team Finland. He is in an entirely different situation now, learning to adjust to a new style.
Very little separates NHLrs from each other, differences are miniscule. Something as simple as a player’s timing being off can make the difference between a 1st liner and an AHL call-up.

You're going to believe what you believe and me the same in regards to NHLers' intensity at the WC.

I will agree that he is getting used to everything that comes with being an 18 yr old in the best hockey league in the world on a bad team to boot. I'm not worried as I knew it would take time for him to acclimate. I'm not like the others that proclaimed he would score 70+ points because they saw him at the WC and highlights in Liiga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad