Youth Hockey Enrollment in the US if USA men/woman won gold?

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I am having a debate with my friend.

He claims that there is no evidence to suggest that a Gold medal win by the US men/woman would have a positive impact on youth hockey enrollment here in the US.

I strongly disagree. He says that there was no increase after the 1980 gold medal win.

What say you?

Bluesfan2308

Feb 21, 2014
Does the men winning gold in basketball every summer Olympics have an impact? I would say no because hockey will never be as big here as it is in Canada.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Does the men winning gold in basketball every summer Olympics have an impact? I would say no because hockey will never be as big here as it is in Canada.

I don't get your point.

If Canada won a gold medal in basketball do you think youth basketball enrollment in Canada would increase in Canada? I can't see how it wouldn't.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg

He claims that there is no evidence to suggest that a Gold medal win by the US men/woman would have a positive impact on youth hockey enrollment here in the US.

I strongly disagree. He says that there was no increase after the 1980 gold medal win.

What say you?

There very well could be an increase in enrollment in the States with a Gold Medal win. Even if hockey "will never be as big in the US as in Canada," an increase in one country (here being the US) is still an increase in that country.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014

What say you?

Depends on the area. Here in Minnesota it wouldn't matter.

Say if Oshie scored the gwg in the gold medal game? I'm sure it would help in St. Louis.

USA hockey numbers are growing. Has the US surpassed Canada yet? How many youth play in Canada?

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Depends on the area. Here in Minnesota it wouldn't matter.

Say if Oshie scored the gwg in the gold medal game? I'm sure it would help in St. Louis.

USA hockey numbers are growing. Has the US surpassed Canada yet? How many youth play in Canada?

I am talking about the DC/Maryland/Virginia area. This is an area where hockey is rapidly growing but is still way behind Baseball/Lacrosse/Football. Things like long playoff rounds, olympic success have direct impact on youth hockey enrollment.

I grew up in Winnipeg - an played youth hockey there forever. Youth Hockey is king - a Canada win in the olympics would not mean a whole lot in terms of enrollment.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
A Gold Medal would have gone a long way for exposure of the sport to the casual fan in the USA... the American media would have been all over it and milked the heck out of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad