Your worst move as Senators GM

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I just went back to read the first Erik Karlsson thread I could find - interesting that most people were positive about that pick.

There was also a quote from the head Scout of McKeens saying that Anaheim and Toronto had the best drafts in 2008. The Ducks picked 10 guys, and only two are meaningful NHLers (Gardiner and J Schultz) neither of which ever played a game for them. The Leafs picked 8 guys, the only real NHLer is Luke Schenn. Crazy how the draft can be such a crapshoot.

The scout also basically said Karlsson would be the top player from that draft by age 25.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Re: Turris: toot toot (kinda)

Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I'm okay with it I guess. Its VERY VERY risky but I honestly liked what I saw from Turris last year. Very limited sample size, but I liked it nonetheless. If Turris fulfills his potential, we're loaded at C and D. That's my ideal way to build a team - great at C, D and G.

Still, I loved Rundblad's potential and am sad to see him go. Hope I'm right on Turris.

I recall liking the Gerber signing...
I think I wanted to add Marc Denis at some point...
I was just about the last person to give up on Schubert (like Homer and his roast pig...)
I wanted to add Leino, but not at that price. Still, any price seems like a mistake...
When someone thought adding Lupul would be a good idea, I shot it down...

I'm just glad I have poor memory, otherwise this list could go on all day!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i wanted Bryan Lee in 05.

i was the same.. watched him play WJC after WJC.
I was also beyond stoked we got filatov.. but that was because i was on my draft day adrenaline rush..we missed out on landeskog but then got puempel and prince, two players i wanted.. i still blindly defend filatov to this day

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
this thread is like therapy.. if this existed all year round i bet there would be much less nonsense in the trade proposals section

newtron

Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa
In my younger days, I was constantly disappointed that we selected some unknown European (Havlat, Hossa) instead of an Ottawa 67 star like Matt Zultek.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
trade spezza for a bag of pucks.......but on a serious note....thinking heatly for michalek and cheechoo was a good trade......i really liked it and might have done it myself...

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I watched the 2008 draft and remember getting upset when the team drafted Karlsson instead of a forward, looks like I ate crow on that 1.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
trade spezza for a bag of pucks.......but on a serious note....thinking heatly for michalek and cheechoo was a good trade......i really liked it and might have done it myself...

When you look at what Michalek has done for us, and what Heatley has done since he left here, it might not have been that bad a trade at all. Not only was it a defensible hockey trade, we got out from under Heatley's salary, thus allowing our owner to buy a few more horses. That's important. :D

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
When you look at what Michalek has done for us, and what Heatley has done since he left here, it might not have been that bad a trade at all. Not only was it a defensible hockey trade, we got out from under Heatley's salary, thus allowing our owner to buy a few more horses. That's important. :D

.....but he didnt buy more horses.......

INurHome

Mar 25, 2011
Ottawa
I picked Redden over Chara....
Thought the Heatley deal was a gradslam.
Didn't care about some kid name Brooks Lake.. we got Peter Bondra!
In '09 I wanted Cowen...?!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Guys guys

Let's not be too hard on ourselves

The majority of people in Ottawa wanted to keep Redden over Chara at the time

As far as a bad move I would have made?

That's tough, I don't really partake in "we should trade X" or "we should draft Y". Let me see if I can think of something...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

My post from that thread :naughty:

i am telling you guys Turris is gonna bloom in our puck possession system. We have a much more wide open system then Phx and Rundblad will benefit from playing with Tippets system where you wont be exposed as much.

And Turris is 6'1" that is good enough for me in a center. He might need to add some pounds but that is do-able

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
my worst move is thinking that Greening could actually be a top 6 forward

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
I wanted to keep Redden over Chara because "Offensive defenders like Redden aren't a dime a dozen and Chara's knees aren't going to last. Redden's career will last longer than Chara's."

Yeah.

pale

Jul 14, 2007
Thought Jason Zent was going to be full time nhler.
Wanted Kadri over Cowen
Wanted to keep Gleason

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This is suppose to be a worst move thread.

I would take Kadri over Cowen at this point. If it was to only put Kadri on the blue line.

Taking Kadri probably means no Zibanejad or Turris, maybe both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad