Your unpopular playoff retrospective opinion

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
As I said, overrated. Many people have this perception of the 2011 Canucks as juggernauts when there's no actual statistical support for it.
They literally led the league in goals and this guy is out here saying there's "no actual statistical support" lmfao

I seriously cannot fathom the mind that thinks xG qualifies as "actual statistical support", while "the goals that actually went into the net" doesn't

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
keep your head up, kid. caught admiring a pass. this ain't junior.
He must be a simpleton as his username implies. Does he not realize there is a really nice slow mo feature on YouTube. You can watch at 25% speed how the puck leaves horton's stick at the 57 second mark, and when Rome makes contact the clock is still reading 57 seconds.

If his ALL CAPITALS initial point is a lie, or just flat out wrong, what are the odds the rest of his points don't hold water either?

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The Avs should have gone 16-3 during their cup run. Not 16-4. They gave away that game against the Blues when Mackinnon got a hatrick. Totally ruined the cup championship and during the Stanley Cup parade, I kept thinking what a letdown and disappointment the 2022 season was.

Then I cried. A little.
I'd be choked too. That was the first Stanley Cup win in franchise history that wasn't actually the Quebec Nordiques in costumes. It should be revered and that fourth loss kinda takes just a tiny bit of the shine off.

Reactions: Avs2022

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Freddie Anderson on Leafs being the cause of playoff failures due to soft goals. The core 4 get mentioned more, but you'll get some Freddie haters here and there.

Ya, I agree he'll let in some. Every goalie does. But if you look at his reg season and playoff stats they are overall solid during his tenure. Especially so when you consider Leafs defence has been shaky for ages.

So when any Leafs failures mention Freddie as one of the causes years back, no way. Not in my opinion. Look at the forwards not scoring.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Stanley Cup winner is not the best team that year. The Presidents Trophy winner is.
I think many people would agree with this, it is just that the Cup is what people care about.

I compare it to a sport like HS track and field. When I was in HS, there were a few teams we could never beat in a quad meet and one we could never beat in a quad meet or the division championship. But, at the County championship (last meet before states) we would crush all but one of them. We had great distance runners and a top thrower. We were not as strong in the sprints and jumps. Plus, 2 had pole vaulters and we did not. So, in the quad meets and smaller division championships those teams would rack up points in the jumps, vault, and sprints. However, when we got to Counties, we would still rack up the same points in the distance and throws. The two teams in mind, did not come close to dominating the sprints or jumps as they did at the quads or division meet. Who was the "better" team? Well, that is open to interpretation.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
They literally led the league in goals and this guy is out here saying there's "no actual statistical support" lmfao

I seriously cannot fathom the mind that thinks xG qualifies as "actual statistical support", while "the goals that actually went into the net" doesn't
I could not agree with you more. I am not anti-analytics, and I do enjoy reading about them. But, I do find it annoying when a team is winning and some clown tries to downplay it with "They won 7-2, but the xG were 12-1 the other way...." Or, "They only won because of their PP..." or "They won because of their goalie....." Last time I checked, the goalie IS part of the team. Last time I checked, PP goals count just as much as ES or even SHG. This Rangers-Canes series, "Canes had 50 shots..." yeah, but only 5 of them were actual tough shots for the goalie.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It would have been a closer match-up in the first 2 runs you had to the SCF sure. But I'm not sure it would have effected the outcome. Hard to say
See Tampa not getting credit.

We took you to 6 and you had all the rest. You were the healthier team, You had an easy path of teams also.

I agree in 2022 the AVS were winning regardless but y'all not giving the Bolts the credit

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I mean, I can go through every team in the league since 2008, fairly easily. I stuck to the comparison between 2011 Canucks and the other teams in 2011. If you want me to compare the Canucks numbers to every team that has played since 2008 and where they rank among those hundreds of teams, I can do that.

Wow, where to start.

The Vancouver Canucks were not a defense first team, as evidenced by the fact that the team in front of Luongo was mediocre-to-poor in any measurable of defense. Luongo and Schnieder were not great because of the players in front of them, they were great because they were great goaltenders, as both proved when they moved on from the team.

The Canucks were not one of the best shorthanded goals-for teams in the league, and the fact you think so speaks the apocrypha surrounding this team. Short-handed they generated 0.49 GF/60 short-handed, good for 24th in the league. They spent the 4th most time of any team on the PK, and got 4 4v5 goals, which had them tied with 4 teams in the bottom 3rd of the league for SH goals. They spent the most time short-handed of any team in the playoffs and managed 1 4v5 goal. They did, however, score 9 goals in the RS when the other team pulled their goalie and played 5 on 6, so that's something.

The problem with your assertion is that it didn't work. Once Luongo failed to deliver top-of-the-league goaltending, the whole PK came down like a house of cards. They went from 'best' in the league, to 9th out of 16 teams in PK%. So maybe that system had some clear flaws, hmm? Like allowing way too many shots and chances, and relying entirely too much on a goalie to bail out the PKers?

But they weren't playing 'safe'. When you look at the expected goals created vs expected goals given up, they were 18th in the league out of 30 for xGF% (50.16). They were barely creating more than they gave up. They were given opponents a chance for every chance they created and relied on better goal-tending to bail them out. If their sh% was a result of their system of shot selection, it wouldn't have evaporated in the playoffs. The truth is that sh% is not controllable, which is why shot and chance VOLUME is what predicts success. The Canucks never generated elite volume, they relied on high sh% and then crumbled when they regressed.

Every team runs into great teams in the playoffs. I don't see how 'if the Canucks had run into weaker teams they would have done better' is a compelling argument. The only team in the cap era that faced only easy opponents was the 2012 Kings. And then they made up for it in 2014, when they faced the toughest guantlet of teams that any team has faced on the way to a cup.

I don't recall claiming Luongo 'shit the bed'. I simply said he could no longer plug the holes that he had plugged all regular season.

I acknowledge injuries happened to the Canucks, as they do to most any team that makes it to the finals. I simply said that their injuries were not the cause of their loss. If the suspension of Aaron ****ing Rome was the death knell for your team, spoiler, your team wasn't that great.

My point is simply that their defensive game was mediocre to poor in the regular season with a healthy roster, by pretty much any measure. The fact that it got WORSE doesn't magically make their healthy roster elite.

SV% is a goalie stat, not a team stat. Luongo carried his team as long as he could.

Nobody has perfect stats. I can show you several teams with better stats in both the regular season and the playoffs, both raw and relative to the other teams that season. Just let me know if you want to see them.
The point is, you're cherrypicking the stats. I don't know how anybody can say the team defense sucked when they led the league in fewest goals against by a WIDE margin. You claim Luongo and Schneider carried that, yet did either of them win a Vezina? No. Luongo didn't even finish top 2. In fact, 2 of those goalies above him they faced in the playoffs.

You can look at all of the advanced stats, but the metrics on what a good defensive team that trumps everything is going to be goals allowed and the metric for how good goal scoring is is goals for. Both, in which, the Canucks led. Their difference in goals for vs goals against was a +77, which is more than respectable and the only ones higher since have turned out to be Stanley Cup winning teams (aside from Florida Panthers, in which have also made the finals right after). Next closest differential was Boston at +51. They had the best powerplay, second best penalty kill.

You can look at a whole bunch of irrelevant stats, but they dominated the regular season, they ran through Nashville and San Jose and by the time they got to Boston had the majority of their team accrue significant injuries. There's a reason why a lot of sports analysts refer to the team as one of the top teams to never win the cup. They had high end offense at forward with the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler (selke winner), great two-way defenders in their primes in Bieksa and Edler and Salo and Ehrhoff, elite high end defensive players in Hamhuis and Tanev, and Ballard was a #4 playing in a #6/7 spot. Goaltending was good. The team had very few holes.

You're the type to argue PDO without any context or watching of the games to understand reasoning behind the numbers. Making the argument that the team defense was mediocre because their goaltending was good is hilarious to me. You simply can't get closer to a .930 save percentage if the team in front of you can't defend. And of course your powerplay and pk stats will tank when all of the players that are your standouts on them are injured. It's hilarious you claim you take into account injuries, but try having a good powerplay when 4 out of 5 players out of your top unit are injured (and 4 out of 5 on the 2nd unit as well). How is your PK gonna perform well in the playoffs when it's almost an entirely different unit altogether (no Malhotra, no Hamhuis, Kesler can hardly move)?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'd like to hear from anyone that actually prefers the game with flopping. Not those that are OK with dealing with it, but those that think it makes the game better.

Anyone?

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I'd like to hear from anyone that actually prefers the game with flopping. Not those that are OK with dealing with it, but those that think it makes the game better.

Anyone?
We all love flopping. You're the odd man out here. 100%.

Also, on a serious note if there is ANNNNYYYYYYY argument that can be made in favour of it, the only one I could imagine having any type of logic to it, is that sometimes due to the way the game is horribly reffed, flopping is sadly necessary to actually draw the penalty that should have been called.

Just the other day, Quinn Hughes got boarded harddddd 5 feet away from the boards, but he snapped right back up to his feet because fortunately his neck was okay going into the wall somehow despite clearly taking the brunt of it. If he stays down, it's a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. If he gets up immediately, somehow it isn't a penalty according to the officials that game. Now this isn't necessarily a flop, but it's embellishment if he embellishes an injury.

It shouldn't be like that. The fact that players sometimes feel they have to flop or embellish to get the right call is the sad part.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The point is, you're cherrypicking the stats. I don't know how anybody can say the team defense sucked when they led the league in fewest goals against by a WIDE margin.

Because goalies exist.

The job of the team defense is the limit the volume and quality of shots and chances faced by the goalie. The job of the goalie is to stop the shots and chances that do get through, because every team makes mistakes and no game ever has zero shots or chances against.

The Vancouver Canucks did a poor job of limiting the volume of shots and chances against, both at 5v5 and on the PK.

Hence, they were a poor defensive team bailed out by elite goaltending.

You claim Luongo and Schneider carried that, yet did either of them win a Vezina? No. Luongo didn't even finish top 2. In fact, 2 of those goalies above him they faced in the playoffs.

Wow, an NHL award was inaccurate? Crazy! That never happens! I, for one, cannot believe that NHL GMs, who routinely vote on the Vezina based on WINS and repeatedly demonstrate their inability to properly evaluate goalies based on the contracts and trades made involving them, would fail to accurately assess the best goalie performances. Really, I'm shocked. Lol

For the record, I never claimed Luongo was the best goalie in the league that season. Tim Thomas was. He had the highest even-strength SV% in the leaguer AND the highest GSAx. Luongo certainly deserved to be nominated, however. The correct nominees would have been Thomas, Lundqvist and Luongo, as they had the highest 5v5 SV% and GSAx.

You can look at all of the advanced stats, but the metrics on what a good defensive team that trumps everything is going to be goals allowed and the metric for how good goal scoring is is goals for. Both, in which, the Canucks led.

Good for them. If the Stanley Cup were awarded based on the most goals scored and/or fewest allowed, they'd have been a shoe-in.

NHL history is littered with President's Trophy winners that ultimately accomplished nothing, not only failing to win a cup, but failing to contend, and disappearing into irrelevance soon after.

If we're interested in what defines a great team, shouldn't we look at the teams that not only contend, but win and then continue to contend and even win again?

And shouldn't we look at the stats that predict sustained success rather than stats that merely reflect a flash-in-the-pan single season where everything lined up, but ultimately a flawed team was exposed?

Winning as power-play merchants that are mediocre at driving play 5v5, poor are suppressing shots and chances both 5v5 and on the PK, and leaning almost entirely on elite goaltending to keep the goals allowed down, is a provably unreliable formula for winning championships. Once the playoffs start, pretty much every team has at least a 'good' goalie, so that advantage is immediately mitigated to some degree. Likewise, the average PK competency goes up, mitigating PP efficacy, if you're even lucky enough to get PPs called.

It is not a surprise then that the 2011 Canucks almost lost in the first round, ultimately were defeated, and never made it out of the first round again with the same core. Because the formula behind their flash-in-the-pan season was inherently weak, fragile, and difficult to replicate. Whereas cup winners like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, returned to the final 4, finals and championships again during extended runs of excellence, Vancouver was a sad little one-off, a team that had a spike of luck, but whose success was ultimately unreplicable by the same players.

You can look at a whole bunch of irrelevant stats, but they dominated the regular season, they ran through Nashville and San Jose and by the time they got to Boston had the majority of their team accrue significant injuries. There's a reason why a lot of sports analysts refer to the team as one of the top teams to never win the cup. They had high end offense at forward with the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler (selke winner), great two-way defenders in their primes in Bieksa and Edler and Salo and Ehrhoff, elite high end defensive players in Hamhuis and Tanev, and Ballard was a #4 playing in a #6/7 spot. Goaltending was good. The team had very few holes.

It's cute that you conveniently ignore them getting pushed to 7 in the first round by Chicago, another team that their goaltending faltered against and their PP struggled against. It's almost like a team with such a weak foundation has some clear weaknesses to be exploited.

Also, then what happened? Let's pretend the Canucks were some juggernaut that lost because of injury (they didn't). What happened the next year? And the year after that? Were these injuries 3-years long? Surely a team as 'great' as the 2011 Vancouver Canucks didn't simply forget how to play hockey? While the Kings and Blackhawks went through 3 final-4s in a row each (plus 2 cups), and Boston won went back the finals two years later and won the apparently all-important Presidents trophy the year after, etc... surely this elite team would challenge again, right?

No?

Oh wait, I think I know the difference.... Let's take a look at the next 3 years....

LAK 2012: 55.16 CF% (2nd), 54.26 SF% (4th), 52.55 xGF% (6th)*
BOS 2012: 54.36 CF% (4th), 52.84 SF% (6th), 53.71 xGF% (5th)
CHI 2012: 52.93 CF% (7th), 52.79 SF% (7th), 52.22 xGF% (7th)
VAN 2012: 53.62 CF% (6th), 50.66 SF% (11th), 48.65 xGF% (18th)
LAK 2013: 56.83 CF% (1st), 55.40 SF% (2nd), 55.63 xGF% (1st)
CHI 2013: 55.68 CF% (2nd), 56.17 SF% (1st), 54.39 xGF% (4th)
BOS 2013: 55.40 CF% (3rd), 54.48 SF% (3rd), 53.55 xGF% (6th)
VAN 2013: 52.14 CF% (9th), 49.57 SF% (17th), 50.03 xGF% (14th)
LAK 2014: 57.39 CF% (1st), 56.01 SF% (2nd), 55.40 xGF% (4th)
CHI 2014: 56.15 CF% (2nd), 56.04 SF% (1st), 55.90 xGF% (2nd)
BOS 2014: 55.25 CF% (3rd), 53.97 SF% (4th), 54.76 xGF% (5th)
VAN 2014: 51.00 CF% (11th), 51.34 SF% (12th), 49.40 xGF% (18th)

*And this was for the full season. Isolated to just games after the coaching change they were tops in the league.

Psssssssst..... I think I know which 'irrelevant stats' are a better indicatory of legit great teams that are legit threats for the cup year after year year, vs flash-in-the-pan, one-and-done nobody teams that need everything to come together once in a blue moon to have a shot.

You're the type to argue PDO without any context or watching of the games to understand reasoning behind the numbers. Making the argument that the team defense was mediocre because their goaltending was good is hilarious to me.

I never made the argument that their team defense was bad BECAUSE their goaltending was good. I made the opposite argument. Their goaltending was obviously elite BECASE their team defense and PK was obviously, measurably bad.

You simply can't get closer to a .930 save percentage if the team in front of you can't defend.

Dominik Hasek disproved this in the 90s, and others disproved it before him and since. It is absolutely possible for a goalie to cover for a poor defensive team, be it for a single period, a single game, a single series, and sometimes, VERY rarely, even a whole playoff run. What is true is that it's not particularly reliable. Generally speaking, a goalie can't consistently put up those SV% numbers in front of an incompetent defensive team year over year over year. The goalies that routinely, year after year, bail out bad defensive teams belong in the hall of fame.

And of course your powerplay and pk stats will tank when all of the players that are your standouts on them are injured. It's hilarious you claim you take into account injuries, but try having a good powerplay when 4 out of 5 players out of your top unit are injured (and 4 out of 5 on the 2nd unit as well). How is your PK gonna perform well in the playoffs when it's almost an entirely different unit altogether (no Malhotra, no Hamhuis, Kesler can hardly move)?

Again, their PK stats in the regular season were almost entirely goalie-driven.

Let's pretend the skaters on the ice were unchanged and completely uninjured. We'll use the regular season numbers and compare them to the numbers the other 15 teams put up in the 2011 playoffs.

By their RS numbers, the Vancouver Canucks would have been 8th out of 16 teams in Shots Against per 60 short-handed (50.87 SA/60), they would have been 7th out of 16 teams in Expected Goals Against per 60 short handed (6.48 xGA/60). So, by your estimation, had they performed as well as they had in the RS with a fully healthy lineup, they would have been...*gasp*...my god.... middle of the pack of the playoff teams.

Truly, what force could hope to contend with such excellence?!

Their regular season PP numbers as far as shots and chances generated would have made a difference in the playoffs. But then, that's why teams that rely on their PP tend to fail. Even if you were to take injuries out of it, your PP is simply going to do worse against a run of teams that have better-than-average to great PKs than they did against a bunch of tomato cans in your weak division.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
1) With a healthy Ry-Jo the Preds beat the Penguins in 2017

2) The Lightning were a great team in 2020 and 2021 but they didn't beat any great teams in their Cup runs. They don't deserve asterisks or anything and saying the "COVID Cups don't count" is a meathead move, but they weren't ever truly tested until 2022 and as I expected they lost.

2020: Jackets, Bruins, Isles, and Stars
2021: Panthers, Canes, Isles, and the LOL Habs

3) I don't mind that the Smythe is weighted on reputation as much as it clearly is. Some other poster mentioned it in this thread but it is a great way to formally recognize certain player's greatness. So when there's questionable Smythe wins given to legacy players I understand it and appreciate it as a fan.

4) All you people saying "the playoffs are luck based" or "the President's Trophy is more meaningful than the Cup" are a bunch of weak-minded soccer fans. Playoff hockey is about which teams and players are capable of elevating their game when things matter most and competition is at its toughest.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The hardest clip to watch of the 2011 playoffs as a Canucks fan is not from the Game 7 final, or rewatching us lose our 3-2 series lead, or any moment of the SCF for that matter.

It's watching OT of the BOS-MTL first round game 7.

If Montreal won that game in OT, the Canucks don't play the B's, who were probably the only team that could have beaten the Canucks that year....

No doubt. Not to mention the game between the Bruins and Habs was so tight. It's really bad luck that the Bruins won. And then it was over for the Canucks.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
No doubt. Not to mention the game between the Bruins and Habs was so tight. It's really bad luck that the Bruins won. And then it was over for the Canucks.
Typical Canucks luck. Not too mention how stats favour the home team in the finals, teams that are up 2-0 in the series, and teams that are up 3-2 in the series....and they still lost.

Reactions: Kimota

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Because goalies exist.

The job of the team defense is the limit the volume and quality of shots and chances faced by the goalie. The job of the goalie is to stop the shots and chances that do get through, because every team makes mistakes and no game ever has zero shots or chances against.

The Vancouver Canucks did a poor job of limiting the volume of shots and chances against, both at 5v5 and on the PK.

Hence, they were a poor defensive team bailed out by elite goaltending.

Wow, an NHL award was inaccurate? Crazy! That never happens! I, for one, cannot believe that NHL GMs, who routinely vote on the Vezina based on WINS and repeatedly demonstrate their inability to properly evaluate goalies based on the contracts and trades made involving them, would fail to accurately assess the best goalie performances. Really, I'm shocked. Lol

For the record, I never claimed Luongo was the best goalie in the league that season. Tim Thomas was. He had the highest even-strength SV% in the leaguer AND the highest GSAx. Luongo certainly deserved to be nominated, however. The correct nominees would have been Thomas, Lundqvist and Luongo, as they had the highest 5v5 SV% and GSAx.

Good for them. If the Stanley Cup were awarded based on the most goals scored and/or fewest allowed, they'd have been a shoe-in.

NHL history is littered with President's Trophy winners that ultimately accomplished nothing, not only failing to win a cup, but failing to contend, and disappearing into irrelevance soon after.

If we're interested in what defines a great team, shouldn't we look at the teams that not only contend, but win and then continue to contend and even win again?

And shouldn't we look at the stats that predict sustained success rather than stats that merely reflect a flash-in-the-pan single season where everything lined up, but ultimately a flawed team was exposed?

Winning as power-play merchants that are mediocre at driving play 5v5, poor are suppressing shots and chances both 5v5 and on the PK, and leaning almost entirely on elite goaltending to keep the goals allowed down, is a provably unreliable formula for winning championships. Once the playoffs start, pretty much every team has at least a 'good' goalie, so that advantage is immediately mitigated to some degree. Likewise, the average PK competency goes up, mitigating PP efficacy, if you're even lucky enough to get PPs called.

It is not a surprise then that the 2011 Canucks almost lost in the first round, ultimately were defeated, and never made it out of the first round again with the same core. Because the formula behind their flash-in-the-pan season was inherently weak, fragile, and difficult to replicate. Whereas cup winners like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, returned to the final 4, finals and championships again during extended runs of excellence, Vancouver was a sad little one-off, a team that had a spike of luck, but whose success was ultimately unreplicable by the same players.

It's cute that you conveniently ignore them getting pushed to 7 in the first round by Chicago, another team that their goaltending faltered against and their PP struggled against. It's almost like a team with such a weak foundation has some clear weaknesses to be exploited.

Also, then what happened? Let's pretend the Canucks were some juggernaut that lost because of injury (they didn't). What happened the next year? And the year after that? Were these injuries 3-years long? Surely a team as 'great' as the 2011 Vancouver Canucks didn't simply forget how to play hockey? While the Kings and Blackhawks went through 3 final-4s in a row each (plus 2 cups), and Boston won went back the finals two years later and won the apparently all-important Presidents trophy the year after, etc... surely this elite team would challenge again, right?

No?

Oh wait, I think I know the difference.... Let's take a look at the next 3 years....

LAK 2012: 55.16 CF% (2nd), 54.26 SF% (4th), 52.55 xGF% (6th)*
BOS 2012: 54.36 CF% (4th), 52.84 SF% (6th), 53.71 xGF% (5th)
CHI 2012: 52.93 CF% (7th), 52.79 SF% (7th), 52.22 xGF% (7th)
VAN 2012: 53.62 CF% (6th), 50.66 SF% (11th), 48.65 xGF% (18th)
LAK 2013: 56.83 CF% (1st), 55.40 SF% (2nd), 55.63 xGF% (1st)
CHI 2013: 55.68 CF% (2nd), 56.17 SF% (1st), 54.39 xGF% (4th)
BOS 2013: 55.40 CF% (3rd), 54.48 SF% (3rd), 53.55 xGF% (6th)
VAN 2013: 52.14 CF% (9th), 49.57 SF% (17th), 50.03 xGF% (14th)
LAK 2014: 57.39 CF% (1st), 56.01 SF% (2nd), 55.40 xGF% (4th)
CHI 2014: 56.15 CF% (2nd), 56.04 SF% (1st), 55.90 xGF% (2nd)
BOS 2014: 55.25 CF% (3rd), 53.97 SF% (4th), 54.76 xGF% (5th)
VAN 2014: 51.00 CF% (11th), 51.34 SF% (12th), 49.40 xGF% (18th)

*And this was for the full season. Isolated to just games after the coaching change they were tops in the league.

Psssssssst..... I think I know which 'irrelevant stats' are a better indicatory of legit great teams that are legit threats for the cup year after year year, vs flash-in-the-pan, one-and-done nobody teams that need everything to come together once in a blue moon to have a shot.

I never made the argument that their team defense was bad BECAUSE their goaltending was good. I made the opposite argument. Their goaltending was obviously elite BECASE their team defense and PK was obviously, measurably bad.

Dominik Hasek disproved this in the 90s, and others disproved it before him and since. It is absolutely possible for a goalie to cover for a poor defensive team, be it for a single period, a single game, a single series, and sometimes, VERY rarely, even a whole playoff run. What is true is that it's not particularly reliable. Generally speaking, a goalie can't consistently put up those SV% numbers in front of an incompetent defensive team year over year over year. The goalies that routinely, year after year, bail out bad defensive teams belong in the hall of fame.

Again, their PK stats in the regular season were almost entirely goalie-driven.

Let's pretend the skaters on the ice were unchanged and completely uninjured. We'll use the regular season numbers and compare them to the numbers the other 15 teams put up in the 2011 playoffs.

By their RS numbers, the Vancouver Canucks would have been 8th out of 16 teams in Shots Against per 60 short-handed (50.87 SA/60), they would have been 7th out of 16 teams in Expected Goals Against per 60 short handed (6.48 xGA/60). So, by your estimation, had they performed as well as they had in the RS with a fully healthy lineup, they would have been...*gasp*...my god.... middle of the pack of the playoff teams.

Truly, what force could hope to contend with such excellence?!

Their regular season PP numbers as far as shots and chances generated would have made a difference in the playoffs. But then, that's why teams that rely on their PP tend to fail. Even if you were to take injuries out of it, your PP is simply going to do worse against a run of teams that have better-than-average to great PKs than they did against a bunch of tomato cans in your weak division.
I can't imagine how long you spent writing this. Find something better to do with your life than invest so heavily in statistics that don't paint the full picture. You were big on Corsi at one point, now you're on the xG train, what are you going to jump to next?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad