Your unpopular playoff retrospective opinion

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
If the Isles score on that Powerplay instead of letting in the SHG to Yanni Gourde in Game 7, they beat Montreal for the Cup.

The Islanders are probably a playoff miss and a first-round elimination in 2020 and 2021 without COVID. I was pretty high on their chances in the 2021 East, mainly because the best proper Eastern teams were in other divisions.

2020 I agree, they were fading fast and the pause before the bubble saved their season. '21 I felt was legit even despite the COVID Divisions and they beat PIT & Boston.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
If the Isles score on that Powerplay instead of letting in the SHG to Yanni Gourde in Game 7, they beat Montreal for the Cup.

2020 I agree, they were fading fast and the pause before the bubble saved their season. '21 I felt was legit even despite the COVID Divisions and they beat PIT & Boston.
Yeah, but I think that Tampa, Florida, and Carolina were all pretty much a good deal better then anyone in the east.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
A lot of playoffs is just timing, bounces, and luck.
I always think of this quote from NBA 2K's commentary lol

"STATISTICALLY speaking, that shot should go in, but that's why we play the game!"

Always make me chuckle when people think a team "deserved" to win just because they outshot their opponent or something.

Good teams lose all the time and that's one of the things that makes hockey so great.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The Islanders are probably a playoff miss and a first-round elimination in 2020 and 2021 without COVID. I was pretty high on their chances in the 2021 East, mainly because the best proper Eastern teams were in other divisions.
Nah they were very good in 2020. I think they just got blessed to have pelech healthy again. 2021 was also a pretty good squad. They deserved both runs at the end of the day. Seriously that 2020 squad was playing lights out up until the injury to Pelech.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I’ll go first of course ;)

Dustin Brown was the true MVP of LA’s 2012 cup run and should have taken the Smythe. Quick was amazing, Kopitar spectacular, but throughout those playoffs Dustin demonstrated to the rest of the team that it was theirs to win. I pretty much expected it.. but still felt a bit jaded on his behalf when they handed it to Quick.

The true MVP of LA's 2012 run was Duncan Keith's elbow to Daniel Sedin's head

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
A few ones that I want to discuss. Some may be general opinions, others are just me rambling on.

I feel like a lot of people forget how dominant that 2017 Predators team was down Kevin Fiala at times. They handled a very tough set of teams just to make the finals, and they lost from a Hornqvist puck that sneaks past Rinne. That team alone deserves a ton of credit.

2020 was still one of the toughest finals out there, and I still think it was absolutely unfair that the islanders had to fly straight to Edmonton and have just two days after Game 7's win against the Flyers. Speaking of the Flyers, I think that entire series was proof that Hart was a legit star goalie. Now we will never know because of...that stuff. As for Tampa, I think the bubble team was slightly tougher than the one in 2021. It just felt unfair to go up against that squad. What bothers me more about 2020 is that we really got robbed of an Avalanche run. That team just got so broken down in the end, especially in net. Hutchinson being the 3rd string guy just ended any cup ambitions for that Avalanche team.

Whenever I hear Rangers fans talk about 2022, I feel like they ignored how awful Shesterkin was against the Penguins and just how dependent on the power play that team was. Go look at the Carolina series, it was arguably one of the most lopsided series in terms of 5v5 play. I hate the Hurricanes but there was so much bullshit involved that gave the Rangers a win, notably Antti Raanta being unable to save a muffin shot by Motte in game 6. Can we also stop with the Chytil goal in game 7? It made it 5-1. Never have I seen people post a statpad moment so much for any sport than that one specific goal.

Cale Makar bursting onto the scene in 2019 was the biggest reason why the Flames lost in 2019. That team had no answers once he came into play IMO. I also feel like the Sharks winning that series against Vegas was crucial for the Blues winning the stanley cup that year. In no way do I think the Blues win in 2019 had the Knights won that series.

John Tavares was easily one of the most clutch players when he was on the islanders, while his move to Toronto has seen him gradually lose his clutch factor. His 2023 goal against Tampa feels meh compared to the sheer effort he put in to winning against Florida. Side note: that 2016 Panthers team was absurd for having Jagr and Luongo play out of their minds as players over 35+

To piggy back off of this, if Kesler doesnt injure Johansen in the Anaheim series and Fiala doesnt get hurt, Nashville likely wins the Cup.

Johansen was a different beast that post season, and while he may not have been an elite 1C, having him in the lineup as the top center the way he was playing then...that Final is different.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Nah they were very good in 2020. I think they just got blessed to have pelech healthy again. 2021 was also a pretty good squad. They deserved both runs at the end of the day. Seriously that 2020 squad was playing lights out up until the injury to Pelech.
Yes but without covid the slip would have probably killed the season. And again 2021 was more about how the 3 best normal eastern teams got re-aligned away.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Yes but without covid the slip would have probably killed the season. And again 2021 was more about how the 3 best normal eastern teams got re-aligned away.
Well lets be real, the COVID slip happened and we cant do anything to change it

yeah the best normal east teams get realigned by the irony of the Canes and Bolts going it it in 2021 saved the isles from being embarrassed to Carolina in the conference finals.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The Panthers making the finals was a complete fluke. That team has never shown the ability to win the cup and got hot goaltending which let them have a deep run. I don't think they are winning anything this year

Reactions: Gormo and thekernel

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Are you a new hockey fan?

I don't know if the last ten years of cup winners could beat that 2012 team except maybe that Avs teams.
Yeah. And how many Presidents trophies could they win ? None. Did that Kings team even win a division ? They didn't even make the playoffs 2 years after 2012. The 2011 Canucks still made the playoffs in 2015 and the Kings couldn't.

That's the point. The playoffs are about momentum and luck. Not who is the best hockey team.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Also I need to circle back to this because it's bothering me

Dude. if it was a split second decision that split second happened a good TWO SECONDS AFTER HORTON RELEASED THE PUCK.

Nevermind the fact that Rome LEFT HIS FEET to deliver the hit.

Nevermind the fact that Rome was looking right at Horton the whole way into the hit so there's no way to claim he somehoow didn't see Horton right in front of him.

Nevermind that Rome left his defensive position and gave up a shot on goal by Lucic in making the hit at all

Never even mind that Rome had to CHANGE DIRECTION to make the hit in the first place.

Nor even the fact that Rome changed direction AFTER Horton was in the motion to release the pass.

no I'm sure it was all just fine.

Good clean hit, hockey we miss you

• Haha
Reactions: SImpelton

lawrence

May 19, 2012
playoff experience means jack for goalies.

this has nothing to do with 2020 Demko for 2024 Sil0v. back in 01, Canuck fans in a shouting match with each other in regards to wether cloutier was ready for the playoffs, the excuse was he needs experience, meanwhile I will counter with multiple names of goalies who were able to win multi rounds and not suck shit as a first time goalie in the playoffs. so thats my take. expierence is not necessary for a goalie in the playoffs.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How is this an unpopular opinion?
Kind of agree, but it depends how 'luck' is used. Obviously there's luck in hockey – on that meta level it's kind of a meaningless take.

Where I disagree is when one team is singled out as "Lucky", as if a gazillion shots and bounces during four rounds of playoffs magically favoured them over everyone else. Yes, a single shot or bounce can be lucky, but multiply those shots/bounces by thousands over a series – let alone four series – and the better team will win.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"Playoff players" is a vastly overrated concept. Once you have a good playoff run, you can kind of coast on it for a while and in the opposite way, you're a "playoff choker" until you're not and you just play good all of a sudden. There's some extreme cases, but for most players it varies year by year depending who they match up with, their linemates, injuries, etc etc.

This is true... people used to call Matthew Tkachuk a playoff choker/bad playoff player. Until he went on a. heater last year.

Op - Phil Kassel should've won the Smythe in 2016, but the hockey writers weren't going to let Sid retire without one so they gave it to him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Sabres would have won the 99 cup if they didn’t allow that obvious no goal in game 6 stand. The very next year they changed the ruling, therefore solidifying the obvious decision that it really wasn’t a good goal.

Debatable. Sabres were in over their head IMO, Hasek was outstanding but the Stars had a much better team.

Carolina winning in 06 was the flukiest fluke to ever fluke

Even as a Flames fan, Oilers win that series easily with Roloson.

They needed Buffalo to literally lose every single one of their top 4 defensemen to even make it to the finals.

Worst cup winning team of the salary cap era.

The funny thing is even tho they lacked a #1 defensemen they were pretty deep overall, especially upfront.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A lot of playoffs is just timing, bounces, and luck.
100%

A healthy Wings team in 2009 and we have back to back cups

A healthy Canucks team likely wins in 2011, but at the same time got to the finals on a ridiculously lucky bounce

SJ never should have made it out of the 1st round against Vegas and simply were the beneficiary of one of the worst calls in NHL history

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
OK, a take of my own, here goes:

Alexandre Burrows should have been suspended for 2 games in the 2011 SCF because of "The Bite." It's on camera plain as day, he bit Patrice Bergeron's finger, on purpose. pretty hard bite too, if Bergeron hadn't had his gloves on Burrows would have easily drawn blood with that.

Yeah the Bruins made him pay for it in the end but it shouldn't have even been at issue. The league dropped the ball on that one.

I'm of the opinion that not penalizing Burrows for the bite is what made Aaron Rome feel he had a greenlight to end Nathan Horton's postseason with his disgustingly illegal late hit to the head.

Sometimes even in the Finals you gotta man up and ref the game. Those orange bands on your elbows aren't just decoration.

And arguably his career; Nate was never the same after that concussion. He had other issues after, but I've always believed that hit was the biggest part.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad