Your Top Toronto Sports Lists Of The Decade

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The title is intentionally unspecific to leave any lists you guys come up with open ended.

Basically, I'm looking for your top "whatever" lists of the decade regarding Toronto sports. From the ice to the pitch, from the court to the gridiron. Could be top moments, top heroes, top trades, whatever. No hard number, could be a list of five things, seven things, ten things, up to you. I'll start with four lists of my own.

------------------------------------------

Top 5 Best Toronto Sports Moments of the 2010's

5. Leaf win the 2016 Draft Lottery

Finally, after years of wishing and praying, the lottery balls fall our way and we're given the privilege of drafting first overall in the NHL Draft. After many an 18-Wheeler and failed tanks the Leafs finally bottomed out right. Matthews has changed the course of this franchise, and it's been pretty good so far in the seasons since.

4. Toronto FC's first MLS Cup

Not much to explain here, Toronto FC returns to the MLS Cup Final to face the Seattle Sounders again, and they exact revenge from 2016 and win their first MLS Championship. They also had (but only held shortly) the MLS record for most points in a season. Here's hoping history repeats next year.

3. Jays walk off the Rangers to complete the sweep in 2016

After a contentious regular season between the clubs that culminated in Rougned Odor punching Jose Bautista in the face, the Jays sweep the higher seeded Rangers at home, off of an Odor error no less. Poetry. The "Would Rather Be Punched In May, Than Knocked Out In October" sign is also an all time sign.

2. Kawhi Leonard's Series Winning Shot against Philadelphia

Self-explanatory. The first time it's ever been done in NBA history, avenging the Vince Carter miss from 2001 playoffs against the same franchise, and done by the most talented player in team history whom was acquired for this very purpose. This was very close to being #1 on my list, honestly this and what is #1 could be interchangeable.

1. Jose Bautista Bat Flip

This was one of the craziest inning in baseball history. The roller coaster of emotions we experienced from the rage at the Umps for (rightfully) allowing that run to count for Texas that put them up 3-2, to the elation of Bautista cranking one to left field and giving the Jays the lead. Whether you were in stadium or watching from somewhere else, nothing compares to that moment.

Top 5 Worst Toronto Sports Moments of the 2010's

5. TFC losing the 2016 MLS Cup

We dominated that game for the most part, but Seattle just absorbed the hits, and then won in a shootout to clinch the title. Bogus way to lose.

4. Boston Using Our 1st Round Pick in 2010

A humiliating cap off to a brutal 09-10 season. The first of TWO first round picks traded by Burke for Phil Kessel ended up being the second overall pick and they drafted a future #1 centre with it, something we had needed since Sundin left a couple years prior, and a position we wouldn't fill for another 6 years.

3. Kansas City defeats the 2015 Jays in 6 games

Unfortunately, the Jays would be unable to reach the World Series as they just could not come through in the clutch against the Royals. That team was so talented I feel they deserved a better fate than being out in 6 games.

2. LeBron James and the Cavs sweep the Raptors AGAIN in 2018

A necessary pain given how the next year went, but it was absolutely pathetic that the higher seeded Raptors got humiliated and swept by LeBron and the Cavaliers for the second year in a row. The "LeBronto" term was coined and it ended the Raptors careers of Dwane Casey and Demar DeRozan.

1. Leafs vs Boston Game 7 2013

I'd like to not re-visit this memory, so I'll be brief. Up 4-1 with a little over 10 minutes left in the third, a historic collapse that still haunts us today.

Top 5 Villains of the 2010's in Toronto Sports

5. The Seattle Sounders

They've defeated TFC in two out of three MLS Cup Finals. While the teams aren't in the same Conference or play each other often, I think going head to head against each other for the Championship three times in 4 years qualifies as a rivalry. That they've bested us more often than not is reason enough to consider them pretty big villains, denying us potentially two Championships.

4. Brian Burke

Maybe I'm biased, but this guy set our rebuild back half a decade with his idiocy. He joined the team in 2008, and when he was canned in 2013, he had still failed to add a #1C, a #1D, and a #1G to the franchise (Phaneuf came close but was at his best a #2 defenseman). Kind of hard to win without any of those. For all his bluster, his teams were never any better than mediocre. The damage he did to the Leafs franchise still stings.

3. Rougned Odor

A primary antagonist for the Jays from October 2015 to October 2016. Guy acted like a jackass on and off the field, culminating in punching Bautista in the head during a game in May. I've already mentioned it, but it really was sweet justice that he committed the error that led to us walking them off in the 2016 playoffs.

2. LeBron James

This guy was a Raptors killer, and was pretty much the main villain for the franchise for three straight years. Always came through clutch against us, always beat us in the playoffs, made DeRozan and Lowry look like amateurs. Wish we could've defeated him en route to the Championship, but the run was still perfect without it, and nobody is going to complain about how a Championship was won.

1. The Boston Bruins

I just can't pick one player from this stupid franchise. Marchand would be an easy choice, but few players have broken our hearts like Bergeron has managed to do as he always seems to come through in the clutch against us. Rask who we drafted and JFJ foolishly traded away for Raycroft is still playing a key role for Boston over a decade later. Speaking of JFJ, he now works in the front office for Boston now, so it's like he never traded Rask. Chara is a goon who while a smart and talented defenseman, gets away with a ton on the ice. Off the ice the Bruins have bested us this decade as well, getting two top 10 picks for Phil Kessel from us and acquiring Kaberle who helped the Bruins to a Cup in 2011. That franchise has not been kind to us for 10 years. Really hope the tables turn next decade.

Top 5 Heroes of the 2010's in Toronto Sports

5. John Tavares

While he only played for the Leafs for one season that'll end in the decade, there's no doubt that his choosing to come home was a huge moment of validation for the franchise and the city. We'd been pining for years for a high profile hometown boy to come home and play for the Leafs, and Tavares was the one to finally do it. His first season here ended in disappointment, but he has since been named the Captain of the franchise and since Keefe took over things have been going really well. Here's hoping the 20's bring lots of success to him and the Leafs franchise.

4. Sebastian Giovinco

Currently sitting as the highest goal scorer in TFC history, Giovinco was an electrifying player that was a key piece in those Championship runs. He's also won the MVP awards for both the MLS and the CONCACAF Champions league, and was the MLS's highest goal scorer in 2015, and set the record for most points in an MLS season at the time.

3. Josh Donaldson

The MLB's MVP of 2015, I still vividly remember chanting that acronym at the Skydome/Rogers Centre during that 2015 season. Along with the MVP he was also selected by his peers as the MVP in 2015, won the Hank Aaron Award for best hitter, and won back to back Silver Slugger Awards. He also holds the highest single season WAR in Blue Jays history. And who could forget him diving into home to complete the sweep of the Rangers in 2016? Donaldson was a key part of those contending Jays teams, and was the most exciting athlete to watch in the city at the time.

2. Kawhi Leonard

Yes he was only here for one season, but as far as trades go the one that brought him here may go down as the best in Toronto Sports history. In just one season he accomplished more than any other player has with the Raptors. Hell he did something no player had done in NBA history with a game winning buzzer beating basket in a Game 7. He wasn't the only reason the Raptors went all the way and won, but he was the key piece that pushed them over the top. If he had stayed for even one more season he might've been number one on my list, but alas.

1. Jose Bautista

The guy joined the Blue Jays as a backup third baseman, and ended up turning into one of the most prolific hitters of the decade in the MLB. I mean just look at his list of accomplishments and awards José Bautista - Wikipedia. Dude was a superstar, and gave us one of the most memorable sports moments in this cities history. While Donaldson had the better peak, Bautista's drastic improvement and rise from obscurity is unique and very Toronto, a city that appreciates underdogs. He was a fan favourite and played for the franchise for nearly a decade. He's earned his place at number 1 on this list.

------------------------------------------

So those are my top five lists of the decade in Toronto Sports, but your lists can be about anything. Top games, top coaches, top personalities, whatever. I'm just interested in seeing how people remember this decade.

Reactions: NHL WAR

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Raptors Championship should be the #1 moment and Kawhi Leonard should be the #1 hero. Otherwise I agree

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Raptors Championship should be the #1 moment and Kawhi Leonard should be the #1 hero. Otherwise I agree

I flip flopped a lot on Kawhi or Bautista at #1. I ended up choosing longevity over impact. Raps championship yeah should probably be up there, but when the Raptors did win it felt more less dramatic given where we were in the series and the score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad