Series Talk: Your Top 5 Under the Gun Leafs this Playoffs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
1. Andy - all the reasons have been given
2. Dubas/Keefe/Shanny - if their run and gun vision cannot exploit the layoff, their sands of time in Toronto will start running out.
3. The big 3 - got the big bucks, time to get it done for the G.M. that takes the heat over your contracts when results are not there.
4. Tavares - you wanted to win a cup in your home town. Get it done.
5. The defence - time to prove you are not as bad as most of the hockey community thinks you are.
6. Team toughness - cannot allow teams to push you around.
#6 :tvhappy::jk::lol:,,,,riiiiiiiiigggghhhtttttt,,don't hold your breath

Reactions: ToneDog

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think anyone has said that.
You're correct though, they did lose 3 series to teams that could play a little heavier.
a little heavier??

paaaaaaaalease,,,Wash/boston/CB

would show up a lot,,,,, in a "name the 5 heaviest teams in the league" poll

and on the flip side, a "name the 5 softest teams" poll,,,, we would be a VERY strong contender to pown the #1 slot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
People have this grand image of Nylander.. and use his projected advance stats versus his real stats way too much to pump him.

Confident high flying Willy is an amazing talent and I'm glad we have him but he can't hold mitchy's jock strap when he's on his game.
While in general as a statement I would agree. But not this year. There were far too many games this past season where Willy was by far and away our best player. And there were far too few games this past season where Mitch was a superstar. And for a Mitch fan to say that is quite something. But we all have to get real. Willy dominated quite a few games this season. Prior to this season I can't remember watching Leaf games where I said Willy was by far da best guy on da ice. This past season it happened a lot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
While in general as a statement I would agree. But not this year. There were far too many games this past season where Willy was by far and away our best player. And there were far too few games this past season where Mitch was a superstar. And for a Mitch fan to say that is quite something. But we all have to get real. Willy dominated quite a few games this season. Prior to this season I can't remember watching Leaf games where I said Willy was by far da best guy on da ice. This past season it happened a lot.
and Keefe is rewarding Willy too. He is skating him as 2nd line centre already. We are not far away from watching Willy as our 2nd line centre and JT as a left wing. Maybe not next season but da following year it is very likely.

Reactions: freshwind

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We need Tima to go out and hit like crazy... oh thats right....

We need everybody to up there game a few % its that close win or loose.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Zero probability to that.
Literally 2 moving parts in deciding the next round....
Top4 reseeding and potential for a upset in a best of 5 makes it a complete toss up.
I think if I saw the playoff tree correctly, the winner of our series plays the #2 seed which is currently Boston. Yes the re-seeding can absolutely change that though, you're right. But I think we'll know who we are getting during our series. Zero probability? Well... at least a 25% probability if the math checks out haha

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think if I saw the playoff tree correctly, the winner of our series plays the #2 seed which is currently Boston. Yes the re-seeding can absolutely change that though, you're right. But I think we'll know who we are getting during our series. Zero probability? Well... at least a 25% probability if the math checks out haha
Ok you're right, but I meant to say the variables make it very hard to tell.
Boston could lose out, finish 4th and get the top team through.

Heck we could see a bunch of upsets and be the top team through and still get Boston.

Unless I'm absolutely reading it wrong.

Reactions: Nylander88

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
1. Freddy-Show us you are the man and our guy going forward.
2. Rielly- Can you play the playoff D we need from our #1?
3. Marner- You are overpaid, prove me wrong.
4. Dermott- You better define a role for yourself before Sandin pushes you out.
5. Keefe- Torts is no slouch, are you up to the task?
Not like Reilly will be shown the door if we dont have success this post season but you're right Reilly with a sound playoff performance (after a lets just say tough year) is exactly what we have to have and what he has proven at times he can bring .

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Ok you're right, but I meant to say the variables make it very hard to tell.
Boston could lose out, finish 4th and get the top team through.

Heck we could see a bunch of upsets and be the top team through and still get Boston.

Unless I'm absolutely reading it wrong.
No that's my understanding as well. Right now it's a 25% chance we get them. The chances of them finishing high in the re-seeding is probably pretty good though I'd think. But yes, I don't think upsets matter much in the play in round, we'll be seeing the #2 seeding from my understanding

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
IMO, and this may get people's panties in a bunch, but Willy brings more to the table than Marner does...having a big shot and going to the net is a big part of that. He's also bigger, stronger (and harder to knock off the puck as a result) and seems to have more of a natural understanding of defensive positioning and not taking needless risks. Mitch is a better playmaker and maybe has more raw skill but it's honestly not a big gap.

I like Mitch and he has those 'magic' moments that make your jaw drop, but not learning to shoot more or improving his shot overall is going to hold him back... too often our PP became predictable because Mitch wasn't willing to shoot the puck despite being in a position to do so and would always be trying to seek out Matthews.

Reactions: freshwind

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
IMO, and this may get people's panties in a bunch, but Willy brings more to the table than Marner does...having a big shot and going to the net is a big part of that. He's also bigger, stronger (and harder to knock off the puck as a result) and seems to have more of a natural understanding of defensive positioning and not taking needless risks. Mitch is a better playmaker and maybe has more raw skill but it's honestly not a big gap.

I like Mitch and he has those 'magic' moments that make your jaw drop, but not learning to shoot more or improving his shot overall is going to hold him back... too often our PP became predictable because Mitch wasn't willing to shoot the puck despite being in a position to do so and would always be trying to seek out Matthews.
I luv em both. But Willy only has done it for a partial season. I hope he can play like he did in regular season in this playoffs. and Mitch had an off year no doubt. We need both guys to bring it this playoffs. For me I see Willy developing naturally into a centre which is what we need as JT slows down further. When he plays more on da inside at da net rather than on perimeter he really shines.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Huh? As if Timashov was a guy who runs around laying the body? What are you guys talking about?

Timashov only played in 39 games for Toronto but lead all Leaf forwards in hits with 83 on this season. He was the Leafs most physical forward in that respect.

Trevor Moore only played 27 games and he had 53 hits which ranked 4th among Leaf forwards.

Only Kapanen with 73 and Gauthier 63 fell between those 2 now departed players, with Hyman rounding out the top 5 with 52 hits.

NHL.com Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My choices are:
  1. Andersen - self explanatory
  2. Barrie - time for him to shine and demonstrate that this trade wasn't too bad
  3. Dubas/Shanny/Keefe - time for some playoff success. No excuses.
  4. Big four (contracts of $7 million or greater) - your best players need to be your best players.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The stat tells a different story.
Timashov only played in 39 games for Toronto but lead all Leaf forwards in hits with 83 on this season. He was the Leafs most physical forward in that respect.

Trevor Moore only played 27 games and he had 53 hits which ranked 4th among Leaf forwards.

Only Kapanen with 73 and Gauthier 63 fell between those 2 now departed players, with Hyman rounding out the top 5 with 52 hits.

NHL.com Stats

Yeah I'm sure Columbus and Boston were terrified of having to face Dmytro Timashov, and NOW they're laughing. WTF.

Mar 26, 2010
People have amnesia with that 2017 Washington series. Because Matthews and Nylander were bad in 2018 they just lump it in together which is inherently wrong, Nylander was one of our best players

For the most part, Nylander is usually one of Toronto’s most reliable players. He takes a lot of undeserved criticism though.

Reactions: 1specter

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah I'm sure Columbus and Boston were terrified of having to face Dmytro Timashov, and NOW they're laughing. WTF.
Yeah because thats what i said...
But as u brought it up.
Tima made the opponent more tierd then the one replacing him. Thats why you hit, not to scare the opponent. So they might think great more stamina for us with Tima gone. Tima alone might not tip the scale , but a line of the same high rate hitters could.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Your not wrong about Willy... he just doesn't bring it enough over the course of a season.

He's great a third of the time.. amazing another third and just there the rest of the time. What good does it do having a heavier shot when you skate in and ring it off the glass. Love his passing and skating out of everything he brings to the table.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Based on the term "under the gun" I'd say the top guys would be the ones whose jobs were on the line.

That would be the 3rd line trio, who are all at risj of being traded after the playoffs are over. Johnsson, Kerfoot, and Kapanen. Then add in Dermott, as he only fits on next year's roster if he can play top 4 on the right side, so he could easily find himself off the team if it's a bad showing. And then add in Andersen. I love Freddy, but a bad playoff would be a disaster for him, and could kickstart a search for a different answer in goal.

Order them however you'd like. I'd go with:

Dermott
Andersen
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Kapanen

The immediate future of almost every other player is pretty secure, from where I'm sitting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad