Your top 10 NOT favorite Caps ever.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
We can speculate on that or philosophize whether personality and great health are parts of talent, but, as others have pointed out, Semin was really good. His 40 goal season is often considered his peak, but he was even better the year before, scoring on a 100+ point pace, good for 6th in the NHL (4th if we remove players with<20 games), and going PPG in playoffs. Semin gave the Caps several great to world class seasons while being employed as a secondary scorer, I understand he might have been a frustrating player, but it's a bit sad when people put him near Jagr and Adam Oates and claim that he was a player impossible to win Cup with. Like, they won with Kuznetsov, but couldn't with Semin?

Kuz is not a bad comparison IMO. And yeah there's no way he's maximizing himself. Cocaine isn't likely to help a professional athlete.

Certainly those guys were immensely talented and both had a lot of success. But it seems to me attitude plays a role and neither had the best attitude or habits. I'm surprised anyone is pushing back on this.

Ovechkin chugs coca-cola, eats Mama Lucia's pasta, and is known to frequent Hookah lounges in his spare time. Who cares?

He also spends a lot of time with personal trainers burning calories and keeping himself healthy and in hockey shape.

Ovie is a different animal entirely IMO. Dude burns to win and lives for hockey.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kuz is not a bad comparison IMO. And yeah there's no way he's maximizing himself. Cocaine isn't likely to help a professional athlete.

Certainly those guys were immensely talented and both had a lot of success. But it seems to me attitude plays a role and neither had the best attitude or habits. I'm surprised anyone is pushing back on this.

He also spends a lot of time with personal trainers burning calories and keeping himself healthy and in hockey shape.

Ovie is a different animal entirely IMO. Dude burns to win and lives for hockey.

If you're holding cocaine use against professional athletes, you're going to hate quite a few other Capitals players (both past and present)....

Hating a player because you, subjectively, feel they could have "maximized" themselves more - when their "not maximized" performance is still better than 98% of the players in the league - is just bizarre to me.

Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I feel a lot of the Semin hate is derived from the media who didn’t like that he was shy and Russian, so they crafted a narrative about him not wanting it enough after the 2010 series against Montreal (where he led the team in shots on goal, mind you).

Nothing on the ice suggested he didn’t try hard. He was a good defensive player. He carried the second line. He killed penalties. Maybe he too a few too many stick penalties but he also drew more penalties than he took and he led the team in takeaways.

The Kuznetsov/Semin comparison is lazy, surface level nonsense. They’re Russian forwards who play(ed) on the Capitals, otherwise they’re completely different. Kuznetsov is legitimately one of the worst defensive players in the entire NHL and aside from short spurts depends on players like Ovechkin, Williams, Johansson, Wilson, and others to carry him toward having positive impacts. Semin carried some sub-par players to being productive second liners. Brooks Laich should have had to donate a portion of his big contract to Alex Semin, for instance.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If you're holding cocaine use against professional athletes, you're going to hate quite a few other Capitals players (both past and present)....

Hating a player because you, subjectively, feel they could have "maximized" themselves more - when their "not maximized" performance is still better than 98% of the players in the league - is just bizarre to me.

I specifically said I don’t hate anyone. You are trying to put words in my posts that aren’t there. Lame.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I feel a lot of the Semin hate is derived from the media who didn’t like that he was shy and Russian, so they crafted a narrative about him not wanting it enough after the 2010 series against Montreal (where he led the team in shots on goal, mind you).

100% this. I met him a handful of times at fan events. He was super nice, but clearly introverted. He seemed far more gregarious in the KHL, so his struggles with English probably made him very self conscious. When you don't talk to the modern press, they certainly aren't shy about projecting whatever crap they want on you to fill column inches.

My list would pretty much just be Jagr for obvious reasons, Brouwer for talking shit about teammates publicly like a bitch, and then the list of guys who turned out to be shitty human beings behind the scenes.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I hated watching Keith Jones play, The Washington Times published a letter from me asking why he was getting so much time
Well I do recall him being fairly decent trying to infuriate player to draw some penalties but not blatant arseholish like it seems some recent active players. Obviously he couldn't hang with the heavy weights of the time fighting-wise. Tbh I as more annoyed he stuck around in the Flyer's organization after his playing career as over though not like I have any pining away for that.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Well I do recall him being fairly decent trying to infuriate player to draw some penalties but not blatant arseholish like it seems some recent active players. Obviously he couldn't hang with the heavy weights of the time fighting-wise. Tbh I as more annoyed he stuck around in the Flyer's organization after his playing career as over though not like I have any pining away for that.
He committed a ludicrous number of minor penalties. He committed 20 minors in 26 playoff games as a Cap. He wasn’t drawing close to one a game.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Surprised Schultz isnt the top of every list. so much potential and we got what we got. Couple of my favorite Schultz moments. Was at a game i think against Dallas and a scrum/fight broke out and the arena wasnt that loud and you heard someone yell from the stands, "HIT HIM WITH YOUR PURSE SCHULTZ". Another good one may have been on here but same type of storyline but on the message boards with everyone replying to a live fight. First comment was "so and so is going to give him a stern push", next reply was like "yea and this guy will give a mean look" and the last one had me dying, " Schultz will send him an unfriendly txt from the press box". hahah

Schultz See above
Theodore wasted the beginning of the rock the red era with this non playoff goalie
Samsonov Sammy and Vanny wasted all of the years after the cup win with their inept play
Vanacek
Simon Not his fault but he got overplayed, overhyped and overpaid
Berube shit hockey player, just annoying to watch
Hunter When was kid hated that other teams had Sakic, Yzeman and lemieux types and we had Dale f***ing Hunter. Fit in perfectly to the caps being a red headed step child of a franchise.

Im sure there is more.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
He committed a ludicrous number of minor penalties. He committed 20 minors in 26 playoff games as a Cap. He wasn’t drawing close to one a game.

The Beak is what we used to call him. That boy had a nose like Gonzo.

But he hustled and tried to play smart to make up for his physical short comings.

I always respect the guys that made it to professional sports when they werent gifted physically.

Reactions: Silky mitts

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Surprised Schultz isnt the top of every list. so much potential and we got what we got. Couple of my favorite Schultz moments. Was at a game i think against Dallas and a scrum/fight broke out and the arena wasnt that loud and you heard someone yell from the stands, "HIT HIM WITH YOUR PURSE SCHULTZ". Another good one may have been on here but same type of storyline but on the message boards with everyone replying to a live fight. First comment was "so and so is going to give him a stern push", next reply was like "yea and this guy will give a mean look" and the last one had me dying, " Schultz will send him an unfriendly txt from the press box". hahah

Schultz See above

Who can forget Pierre calling him Mr Nasty as if he'd never once watched him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad