Your thoughts on the '72 Summit Series "deserters"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
It's funny, lots of the passion of that series is in this thread many years later.

I remember it like it was yesterday. As summer rolled along my dad and I used to sit at the supper table and talk about the series (I think it was John Ferguson who had scouted them and told Canadians "they have no goalie". Jesus).

iirc our main concerns were that we wouldn't be able to watch Orr in the series and that Kenny Dryden would have a big series. I remember very well that both my dad and I agreed the Russians wouldn't be able to handle Mahovlich. FRANK Mahovlich.

By the end of the first game that series had turned into someting other than hockey. Classic Hockey has described all of this well, but I do want to say that when Bobby Clarke slashed Valeri Kharlamov I didn't bat and eye.

Doesn't cast me in a favourable light, but I'm not going to lie about it now.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
SENATOR said:
Canadians just do not have it for fair play. They can not lose gracefully and with some dignity. Time and time again the crap about the nation of hockey comes up. Enough already. World does not listen to Canada anymore. Take a lesson from Brits and their football mad country. There are many nations ahead in soccer development. As in case with Russia in hockey. Russia in hockey is as Brazil in soccer.
Canada on the other hand, still could not part with fighting. It is laughable to no end. Watch Russia as it develops its league at very fast pace and the days, when the best players will go only to Russia are not that far ahead. Let’s leave Canadians with goon hockey, Tie Domis and Mighty Ducks and their memories about 1972. No one wants to remember WHA-Russia summit. When Russia practically killed Canadians. Why is that?

And back to 1972. What is wrong with you guys????????????? No class, what so ever. That f*ck you gesture to the Russian crowd should be in the movie. Canadians left such a bad taste and a pity for their state of hockey in the Russian minds.

Canadians can't lose gracefully and with dignity? O- kayyy...
Have you watched any games involving Canada recently? I'd say Canadians generally can lose with dignity.If you're looking at hockey in general objectivly,over the years I've seen both what I would think is classlessness(I do think it is unfair to label a team because of a few players) and dignity from teams of all nations.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Lowetide said:
It's funny, lots of the passion of that series is in this thread many years later.

I remember it like it was yesterday. As summer rolled along my dad and I used to sit at the supper table and talk about the series (I think it was John Ferguson who had scouted them and told Canadians "they have no goalie". Jesus).

iirc our main concerns were that we wouldn't be able to watch Orr in the series and that Kenny Dryden would have a big series. I remember very well that both my dad and I agreed the Russians wouldn't be able to handle Mahovlich. FRANK Mahovlich.

By the end of the first game that series had turned into someting other than hockey. Classic Hockey has described all of this well, but I do want to say that when Bobby Clarke slashed Valeri Kharlamov I didn't bat and eye.

Doesn't cast me in a favourable light, but I'm not going to lie about it now.

It wasn't Fergy, John Gregory maybe ? Some journalists were along for the scouting trip too. The story afterwards was that it was the night after Tretiak's stag party and he was in rough shape. Probably just a case of being sand bagged by a team who knew they had an over confident opponent.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
SENATOR said:
Canadians just do not have it for fair play. They can not lose gracefully and with some dignity. Time and time again the crap about the nation of hockey comes up. Enough already. World does not listen to Canada anymore. Take a lesson from Brits and their football mad country. There are many nations ahead in soccer development. As in case with Russia in hockey. Russia in hockey is as Brazil in soccer.
Canada on the other hand, still could not part with fighting. It is laughable to no end. Watch Russia as it develops its league at very fast pace and the days, when the best players will go only to Russia are not that far ahead. Let’s leave Canadians with goon hockey, Tie Domis and Mighty Ducks and their memories about 1972. No one wants to remember WHA-Russia summit. When Russia practically killed Canadians. Why is that?

And back to 1972. What is wrong with you guys????????????? No class, what so ever. That f*ck you gesture to the Russian crowd should be in the movie. Canadians left such a bad taste and a pity for their state of hockey in the Russian minds.
Hey mods, I'm guessing that calling someone a silly holier than thou, stick up your butt twit is against board rules so of course I'll refrain from doing so. I remember that sreies so well. Players like Rod Gilbert and Yvan Cournoyer had never fought in their careers but fought in that series. Then again, they had never been kicked and subjected to what they were during those last 4 games. Years later Cournoyer held a grudge. Yvan would never be confused with Tie Domi. To bring up dignity, with what I saw in those games paints you a hypocrite, at best.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Scouts

The scouts that were send over by Canada were the Leaf scouts - Bob Davidson & Gerry McNamara. They received a lot of ridicule later for saying the the Russian goaltending was weak. True, the Russians probably set them up but they should have gone and watched more than one game. There was so much arrogance on the Canadian part that they thought they didn't need to see who they were playing. Harry Sinden played against the Russians in 1957 & 1958 in the World Championships so he knew the Russians talent level.

This wasn't Tretiak's first series either. He had played superbly on 2 international tournaments in the prior 9 months at Japan in the Olympics and in Prague in the World Champonships.

The Russians were notorious for playing on people's minds. It was part of their strategy, whether it was manipulation of the officials or off-ice boardroom meetings.
I'll continue this shortly.

mcphee said:
It wasn't Fergy, John Gregory maybe ? Some journalists were along for the scouting trip too. The story afterwards was that it was the night after Tretiak's stag party and he was in rough shape. Probably just a case of being sand bagged by a team who knew they had an over confident opponent.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Russian strategy

Something not well known is the Russians use of psychology on their opponents. Here is an example of something that freaked out the Canadian players of the Whitby Dunlops (the team Harry Sinden was on) in the final game of the World Championships vs the Russians in 1958. This hasn't been widely reported but one of the players told me this.

The final game was in Oslo, Norway and played outdoors in the wind and cold. The Canadians and Russians were in a close battle in the first period but the Canadian team were so glad to go into the warmth of their dressing room to recoup during the first intermission. They just weren't used to playing in such conditions and assumed that their opponents were feeling it like they were. However, the Russians, instead of going to their dressing room and resting and warming up, they went just outside the stadium to an another outdoor rink and had a team practice!

As the player said, "you don't think that doesn't work on your mind?".

ClassicHockey said:
The scouts that were send over by Canada were the Leaf scouts - Bob Davidson & Gerry McNamara. They received a lot of ridicule later for saying the the Russian goaltending was weak. True, the Russians probably set them up but they should have gone and watched more than one game. There was so much arrogance on the Canadian part that they thought they didn't need to see who they were playing. Harry Sinden played against the Russians in 1957 & 1958 in the World Championships so he knew the Russians talent level.

This wasn't Tretiak's first series either. He had played superbly on 2 international tournaments in the prior 9 months at Japan in the Olympics and in Prague in the World Champonships.

The Russians were notorious for playing on people's minds. It was part of their strategy, whether it was manipulation of the officials or off-ice boardroom meetings.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Some history

I have to respond to this to give this series some persective. Senator, I'm not sure where you are from and I appreciate your indignation for the way Canada played in certain cases.
But 'fair play'? If any hockey nation at that time shouldn't have been criticizing, it was the Russians.
During the 50's to the 70's, International hockey was ruled with an iron fist by Bunny Ahearne, a former travel agent based in England. Its a long story of how he got to that position and wielded so much power, buts its common knowledge that he worked together with the Russian hockey people to coerce and make the rules of the time favourable to the iron curtain teams, and in particularly the Russians. They kept him in power (using their proxy votes in Czech, Poland etc.) and he obeyed the Russians.
The primary influence that the Russians had was the control of the officiating and back room deals for the 'rules'. Even today, there are ramifications about the corruptness of the officials in International hockey back then (see the 1964 Olympics in the news lately).
There are many instances of Canada being robbed of goals and victims of non-existent infractions for penalties by International officials who were intimidated by the Russian hockey people who controlled their futures. I haven't got time right now to list these instances but they all happened.
So, during the the 1972 series, the Russians had the same mindset and were especially going to use their 'advantage' in the games in Russia if they needed to.
Well, they didn't need to until later in the series. The refereeing by the Swedish and Czech referees was passable but the refereeing by the 2 West Germans Hans Baedder & Worst (Joseph Kompalla) was deplorable. The Russians made sure that the Swedish referee was 'unavailable' for the final game. The Russians just couldn't lose game 8 in Moscow, after having the lead in the series and in front of the Soviet leaders and people. They tried everything to get an advantage and they went back to their old methods of influencing the officiating, or tried to.
Those who have watched game 8 know of the outrageous things that the officiating and the Russian off-ice officials caused during the game.
Once the game started, Kompalla started giving penalties to the Canadian team.
But this was a different time and situation than the the 1960's when the Canadian team under the leadership of Father David Bauer accepted the injustices with mild protests.
In 1972, in Canada's view, this was 'war'. All the frustations of the 1960's injustices and throughout the games in Moscow (including off-ice things the Russians did) were coming to a boiling point. Early in the game, J.P. Parise had almost attacked Kompala with his stick which would have been horrendous (for Kompala) if he went through with it.
But after that incident, Kompala, instead of being intimidated refereeing in a hostile Russian rink, now was intimidated by the Canadians. These Canadians are crazy, he probably thought. Well, the rest of the game had a semblance of 'fairness' as Kompala and the Czech official officiated the rest of the game. Incidents happened but they were caused by the off-ice officials.
What most viewers didn't see on TV was the behind the scenes stuff that shows how really tense the situation was between the the Canadian bench and the Russian hockey officials. (It was captured on film).

I'm writing this to show you that prior to 1972, there was a 'background' that you should know about and the Russians were no angels themselves.

I could go on and on about the Russian backroom deals that caused Canada to leave International hockey in 1969 but I'll save that for another time.

SENATOR said:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Some irony

That dirty Canadian Phil Esposito let his daughter marry a Russian. :sarcasm:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Chili said:
That dirty Canadian Phil Esposito let his daughter marry a Russian. :sarcasm:

Yep, thats pretty ironoc, alright consider apparently people thought he hated Russians. Guess not.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
ClassicHockey said:
I have to respond to this to give this series some persective. Senator, I'm not sure where you are from and I appreciate your indignation for the way Canada played in certain cases.
But 'fair play'? If any hockey nation at that time shouldn't have been criticizing, it was the Russians.
During the 50's to the 70's, International hockey was ruled with an iron fist by Bunny Ahearne, a former travel agent based in England. Its a long story of how he got to that position and wielded so much power, buts its common knowledge that he worked together with the Russian hockey people to coerce and make the rules of the time favourable to the iron curtain teams, and in particularly the Russians. They kept him in power (using their proxy votes in Czech, Poland etc.) and he obeyed the Russians.
The primary influence that the Russians had was the control of the officiating and back room deals for the 'rules'. Even today, there are ramifications about the corruptness of the officials in International hockey back then (see the 1964 Olympics in the news lately).
There are many instances of Canada being robbed of goals and victims of non-existent infractions for penalties by International officials who were intimidated by the Russian hockey people who controlled their futures. I haven't got time right now to list these instances but they all happened.
So, during the the 1972 series, the Russians had the same mindset and were especially going to use their 'advantage' in the games in Russia if they needed to.
Well, they didn't need to until later in the series. The refereeing by the Swedish and Czech referees was passable but the refereeing by the 2 West Germans Hans Baedder & Worst (Joseph Kompalla) was deplorable. The Russians made sure that the Swedish referee was 'unavailable' for the final game. The Russians just couldn't lose game 8 in Moscow, after having the lead in the series and in front of the Soviet leaders and people. They tried everything to get an advantage and they went back to their old methods of influencing the officiating, or tried to.
Those who have watched game 8 know of the outrageous things that the officiating and the Russian off-ice officials caused during the game.
Once the game started, Kompalla started giving penalties to the Canadian team.
But this was a different time and situation than the the 1960's when the Canadian team under the leadership of Father David Bauer accepted the injustices with mild protests.
In 1972, in Canada's view, this was 'war'. All the frustations of the 1960's injustices and throughout the games in Moscow (including off-ice things the Russians did) were coming to a boiling point. Early in the game, J.P. Parise had almost attacked Kompala with his stick which would have been horrendous (for Kompala) if he went through with it.
But after that incident, Kompala, instead of being intimidated refereeing in a hostile Russian rink, now was intimidated by the Canadians. These Canadians are crazy, he probably thought. Well, the rest of the game had a semblance of 'fairness' as Kompala and the Czech official officiated the rest of the game. Incidents happened but they were caused by the off-ice officials.
What most viewers didn't see on TV was the behind the scenes stuff that shows how really tense the situation was between the the Canadian bench and the Russian hockey officials. (It was captured on film).

I'm writing this to show you that prior to 1972, there was a 'background' that you should know about and the Russians were no angels themselves.

I could go on and on about the Russian backroom deals that caused Canada to leave International hockey in 1969 but I'll save that for another time.

You certainly have interesting stories and I sure hope they are stored for future hockey fans as well (I haven't read all the hockey books, yet anyway, so I wouldn't know). Keep them coming.

What I've heard from my older European friends is that Kompalla was a bit of joke among neutrals as well (Swedish, Finnish), but they were not too thrilled about the Canadian style of hockey, either. Sort of thinking, that Canada brought it on themselves with their style of play. What Canadians thought as fair play (physical play) was considered unsportsmanlike and inferior players stopping better skilled players (Russians) showcasing their skills. In short, clash of hockey cultures. The truth lies probably somewhere in between.

Interestingly though, Kompalla was introduced to IIHF Hall of Fame in 2003, so somebody must obviously value him highly even now, or maybe they are still "under the influence" :sarcasm:

Kompalla interview at the time of his IIHF HoF introduction:

http://www.iihf.com/news/1newsog20013.htm

Da da Canada, njet njet Soviet. :)

Last edited:

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
You are quite right about Canadian teams earning a dirty or physical reputation in International Hockey. But Father David Bauer's National Teams in the 1960's were very sportsmanlike but still got shafted by the refereeing and corrupt World Hockey officials. But the overly aggressive way Team Canada played in 1972 was nothing compared to the 1977 World Championships. That team was called 'Team Ugly' and for good reason. Reviewing game tapes shows some viscious stick work, especially by Wilf Paiement. That 1977 team was also led by Phil Esposito but team discipline was non-existent. A team meeting was called to give each player a chance to voice their thoughts on how to improve their play. When Carol Vadnais' turn came, he stood up and said, "Why do we have Ron Ellis on the power play". Ellis, sitting in the room was not too pleased and comments like that did not help team morale. Ellis wrote about that in his book but didn't name the player. Nice guy, Vadnais - he couldn't carry Ron Ellis' skates as a hockey player.

gary69 said:
You certainly have interesting stories and I sure hope they are stored for future hockey fans as well (I haven't read all the hockey books, yet anyway, so I wouldn't know). Keep them coming.

What I've heard from my older European friends is that Kompalla was a bit of joke among neutrals as well (Swedish, Finnish), but they were not too thrilled about the Canadian style of hockey, either. Sort of thinking, that Canada brought it on themselves with their style of play. What Canadians thought as fair play (physical play) was considered unsportsmanlike and inferior players stopping better skilled players (Russians) showcasing their skills. In short, clash of hockey cultures. The truth lies probably somewhere in between.

Interestingly though, Kompalla was introduced to IIHF Hall of Fame in 2003, so somebody must obviously value him highly even now, or maybe they are still "under the influence" :sarcasm:

Kompalla interview at the time of his IIHF HoF introduction:

http://www.iihf.com/news/1newsog20013.htm

Da da Canada, njet njet Soviet. :)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
But the overly aggressive way Team Canada played in 1972 was nothing compared to the 1977 World Championships. That team was called 'Team Ugly' and for good reason. Reviewing game tapes shows some viscious stick work, especially by Wilf Paiement.

Paiement was one of the dirtiest "skill players" I`ve ever seen. He`d be good for a point a game year after year but seemed like a loose cannon who could snap at any time.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
ClassicHockey said:

It is all hot air. No proof and no substance. Just bare speculations.
Russians always feel they were on the short stick with western refereeing and in any sports, and thinking that Russians had a hand with Brits is just a wishful thinking on your part. Canadian excuses, excuses. And going back to Kampalla, we have to take to the account, that Russia went to very hatefull war with Finland just 30 years ago at the begining of the hockey summit. Where Finns were handling the northern blocade of Leningrad, where 1.2 million of Russians died from starvation. I can not even imagine what kind of the "freak" war was on Canadian minds. What Russia ever did to Canadians to deserve this . Russia could not even work with eastern referees, it is just impossible for a communist country. Gooogle Hungary-Russia waterpolo game at 1956 Olympics. And our bout with Chekoslovakians to the death?? The only explanation I could see, that world hockey federation could not stand the Canadian arogance in 1972 and wanted to lose them badly. So it was the world against you Canada, not Russia. It was "the war" of Europe against Canada and its ignorance. And communism had nothing to do with it. Only Canadian sick imagination.

I blame Tretiak for the lose, who was thinking about his 200 guests wedding, instead of stopping the pucks. He was horrible at the end and he admited it. I blame Canada for the WWE freak show, they were playing as Stone cold Steve Austen, which beer line Gretzky continued at the past Olympics. It was sensless. Stupid. But very predictable. Considering all the class Canadians have. I always thought about Gretzky highly, even before when he came to his native land in the 80-th one day for a visit and claiming to have a russian soul-or byelorussian for that matter. Anyway his parents left the land, when it still was called Russia, as many millions of Ukranians in Canada. Ukraine and Byolrussia are only 14 years old new nations. But after Olympics all my respect was lost for Gretzky. He is one more a-hole Canadian. Or Russian??

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SENATOR said:
Russians always feel they were on the short stick with western refereeing and in any sports, and thinking that Russians had a hand with Brits is just a wishful thinking on your part. Canadian excuses, excuses. And going back to Kampalla, we have to take to the account, that Russia went to very hatefull war with Finland just 30 years ago at the begining of the hockey summit. Where Finns were handling the northern blocade of Leningrad, where 1.2 million of Russians died from starvation. I can not even imagine what kind of the "freak" war was on Canadian minds. What Russia ever did to Canadians to deserve this . Russia could not even work with eastern referees, it is just impossible for a communist country. Gooogle Hungary-Russia waterpolo game at 1956 Olympics. And our bout with Chekoslovakians to the death?? The only explanation I could see, that world hockey federation could not stand the Canadian arogance in 1972 and wanted to lose them badly. So it was the world against you Canada, not Russia. It was "the war" of Europe against Canada and its ignorance. And communism had nothing to do with it. Only Canadian sick imagination.

I blame Tretiak for the lose, who was thinking about his 200 guests wedding, instead of stopping the pucks. He was horrible at the end and he admited it. I blame Canada for the WWE freak show, they were playing as Stone cold Steve Austen, which beer line Gretzky continued at the past Olympics. It was sensless. Stupid. But very predictable. Considering all the class Canadians have. I always thought about Gretzky highly, even before when he came to his native land in the 80-th one day for a visit and claiming to have a russian soul-or byelorussian for that matter. Anyway his parents left the land, when it still was called Russia, as many millions of Ukranians in Canada. Ukraine and Byolrussia are only 14 years old new nations. But after Olympics all my respect was lost for Gretzky. He is one more a-hole Canadian. Or Russian??

For somebody who doesn't care about 1972, you sure have your panties in a knot about something. You complain that Canada makes excuses, yet you go on to make excuses for Russia for something that happened 30 years ago. You claim that Canadians have no class, and then go onto imply most Canadians are "a-holes."

There are jackass fans on all sides, you seem to be representing your side well.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
SENATOR said:

Thank you so very much for this well thought out, insightful post. You have done wonders for global relations. I for one feel the world is a smaller, closer family after reading this gentle and gracious diatribe.

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Thank you so very much for this well thought out, insightful post. You have done wonders for global relations. I for one feel the world is a smaller, closer family after reading this gentle and gracious diatribe.

youre one to talk. its guys like you bucky that cause a bad reaction in others.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
youre one to talk. its guys like you bucky that cause a bad reaction in others.

I've asked before, and will ask again , please stick to the topics at hand. I know you're having a hard time leaving me alone, but I think I was pretty clear that I'm not interested in being more than friends with you, even though I'm flattered by your constant attention. Please, I implore you, leave me alone. :dunno:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't know about water polo but since 1972 the top international rivalry in hockey for me has been Canada/Russia (aka USSR).

Whether it's the midget all stars, the Summit Series, the Challenge Cup, the Soviet club teams vs NHL teams, the World Championships, the World Cup, the Olympics or my favorite, the World Juniors there is something special when the two nations faceoff.

I'd like to think that some of that is based on mutual respect. All I know is that the two countries have provided a heckuva of alot of good memories from their battles.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Wow, you are so lacking in any knowledge of International hockey in the 1960's. Incredible. You don't know anything about Bunny Ahearne and his dealings. Just amazing.

You don't even know WWII history. Russia attacked Finland first and the Red Army was whipped in the early stages of the war. Only the Russian's massive numbers of manpower saved them. After that Finland allied with Germany to regain the land they lost in that prior war.

And Kompalla was West German and not a Finn.

You probably deny the Russians attacked Prague in 1968 and that the Czechs beat the Russians in the WC by playing with a lot of hate in their hearts towards the Russians.

SENATOR said:

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Here is part of an interview Eagleson did with the media after the first four games had been played in Canada, dated Sept. 19, 1972, in regard to the extra players on Team Canada's roster:

Article quote:
Finally, there's been too much of what Eagleson bluntly referred to as "excess baggage" players who couldn't be helpful in the key games or who, for one reason or another, simply haven't done the job that was expected of them.

Eagleson said: "A 22-man roster is all we need. You get a compact group together and you give them the right incentive - money. Because I'm afraid the idea of playing for your country for free is a one-shot deal. Let's say, for the sake of argument, the players would get $10,000 or if they win $25,000. It might have to be something like so much money to report, so much for making the club and so much extra for every win. Does that sound cynical? Well, the guys are playing for their country this time but it can't happen again without compensation. And this situation has produced too many issues. Discipline has been a problem, for instance, and then what do you do with players you aren't using? You still have some obligation to them because of what they've sacrificed to make themselves available.
Can another tournament be done, after what Team Canada has gone through?
Would it ever work again? You bet your sweet life it would. Profit on the project, despite staggering extravagance all the way through, is going to reach $1 million, split evenly between Hockey Canada and the NHL Players Pension Fund. With that kind of loot there for the taking, a way can be found. That you can be sure of."

One question, though, Mr. Eagleson. You are the head of the players' union. Are you prepared to let the employers institute some of the harsh training methods the Russians have employed so successfully or would you call hockey's first strike on Day One after they were implemented?

Eagleson replied: "It's obvious now what can be accomplished with dedication and sophisticated coaching techniques. I mean it's plain to see that the right person could go into Vancouver or Oakland and make them competitive just by adapting some of the things the Russians do. I think that's a matter all Canadians or all North Americans have to consider. It's very easy for a fan to say that hockey players should work longer and harder to improve themselves. But is a garage mechanic williing to put in the extra four hours a day he'd need to become a better mechanic?
Or are we talking about our entire society now? I don't think this is exclusive to only hockey players. I don't believe the man on the street can legitimately beef about hockey players having it too easy while they're fighting for the institution of a four-day working week at the same time."

Classic "Eagle" comments.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
SENATOR said:

So let me get this straight? You are saying that no one looks up to Canada anymore when it comes to Hockey? Well how about this then. 2002 Olympic Gold Medal, 2004 World Cup, 2003, 2004 World Hockey Championships, 2005 Gold in the WJC and seven straight years of a medal in the WJC. Throw in a silver in the 2005 Worlds. Russia by the way hasnt won a tourny at the top level since 1981. Yes they beat the Canadians and I'm aware of that, but Russia hasnt beaten Canada in a game at the top level since Game one of the 1987 Canada Cup final. Hmmm, strange eh?

I respect the Russians are good, and were good, but not including '72 the record for Canada vs. Russia in the Canada Cups, World Cup and Olympics combined starting in 1976 is 7-3-2. And by the way the WHA summit of '74 wasnt anything like that of '72. If you think an over the hill Hull and even older Howe (46 yrs. old) is impressive then go ahead take it. That wasnt eve near Canada's best. The next game of importance the Russians lost to the Canucks in 1976 Canada Cup, 3-1.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Big Phil said:
So let me get this straight? You are saying that no one looks up to Canada anymore when it comes to Hockey? Well how about this then. 2002 Olympic Gold Medal, 2004 World Cup, 2003, 2004 World Hockey Championships, 2005 Gold in the WJC and seven straight years of a medal in the WJC. Throw in a silver in the 2005 Worlds. Russia by the way hasnt won a tourny at the top level since 1981. Yes they beat the Canadians and I'm aware of that, but Russia hasnt beaten Canada in a game at the top level since Game one of the 1987 Canada Cup final. Hmmm, strange eh?

When was the last time a major game was played in Russia? Most international are basically fixed so that the Canadians have the advantage. Every World cup and Canada Cup final game has been held in Canada except one - and the Canadians lost the won year some of the finals was held in the US. They beat the Czechs in overtime the last world cup playing at home. The lost world championship this year because the Czechs had the home ice for a chain. You can bet if the Europeans had home ice more they'd be winning a lot more championships.

It is also no accident that the Canadians didn't win a best on best tournament for most of the 90's. Then rthe Czech and Slovakians teams split as did the Soviet team. The Canadians only seem dominant lately because the competition countries now play with divided teams. Put the Slovaks back with the Czechs and play the games on neutral ice, and Canada wouldn't dominate. Sure, if all international tournaments were held on neutral sites, Canada would win a lot. But not nearly as many as in recent years.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
My wife gives me crap constantly because I'm a sarcastic ass much of the time. While I admit, I doubt I'll change. What I'm wondering though is if you're married and whether our wives would like to form a support group.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
mcphee said:
My wife gives me crap constantly because I'm a sarcastic ass much of the time. While I admit, I doubt I'll change. What I'm wondering though is if you're married and whether our wives would like to form a support group.

Indeed, Mrs. Bring Back Bucky may enjoy having the opportunity to spend some time with another woman lucky enough to be married to a gifted and charming poster. They probably both find it hard to live up to our standards of kindness. Hold onto your gift, mcphee, hold on tight. ;)

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
a gifted and charming . ;)

I suspect my longtime mate considers 'gifted and charming' a euphemism for jackass. You have to stick and move though,esp. if you marry someone tougher than you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad