Speculation: Your Teams Offer Sheet History

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey All!

I was just on the Bruins board discussing offer sheets regarding current players and after one poster claimed that they are almost never used a second poster asked me if other teams have experienced the offer sheet threat that made a trade possible. We have also added any offer sheets that took place or were matched post 2006. For example:

In Anaheim:

1. Edmonton Oilers offer sheet Dustin Penner; Anaheim accepts compensation.

In Boston:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs have offer sheet threat with Phil Kessel which forces the Bruins to trade Kessel to Toronto.
2. Edmonton Oilers have an offer sheet threat with Dougie Hamilton which forces the Bruins to trade Hamilton to Calgary.
3. Also, rumour had it that the Sharks would have OS'd Martin Jones in Boston who didn't need a pricey tandem - so it "forced" a trade.

In Buffalo:

1. Edmonton Oilers offer sheet Tomas Vanek; Buffalo matches.

In Calgary:

1. Calgary signs Ryan O'Reilly to an offer sheet; Colorado matches.

In Chicago:

1. Hjalmarsson signed with the Sharks, which forced the Hawks to match...which led to Niemi shaking loose as a free agent, whom Doug Wilson immediately signed.

In Colorado:

1. Calgary signs Ryan O'Reilly to an offer sheet; Colorado matches.

In Edmonton:

1. Edmonton Oilers have an offer sheet threat with Dougie Hamilton which forces the Bruins to trade Hamilton to Calgary.
2. Edmonton Oilers sign Tomas Vanek to offer sheet; Buffalo matches.
3. Edmonton Oilers sign Dustin Penner to offer sheet; Anaheim accepts compensation.

In Nashville:

1. The Flyers offer-sheeted Weber and Nashville matched.

In Ottawa:

1. Tampa Bay threatens to offer sheet Andrej Meszaros in Ottawa; Ottawa forced to trade him to Tampa Bay.

In Philadelphia:

1. The Flyers offer-sheeted Kesler and Vancouver matched.
2. The Flyers offer-sheeted Weber and Nashville matched.

In San Jose:

1. Hjalmarsson signed with the Sharks, which forced the Hawks to match...which led to Niemi shaking loose as a free agent, whom Doug Wilson immediately signed.
2. Also, rumour had it that the Sharks would have OS'd Martin Jones in Boston who didn't need a pricey tandem - so it "forced" a trade.

In St.Louis:

1. Vancouver offer sheet to Backes; St.Louis matches.
2. St.Louis offer sheet to Bernier; Vancouver matches.

In Tampa Bay:

1. Tampa Bay threatens to offer sheet Andrej Meszaros in Ottawa; Ottawa forced to trade him to Tampa Bay.

In Toronto:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs have offer sheet threat with Phil Kessel which forces the Bruins to trade Kessel to Toronto.

In Vancouver:

1. Vancouver offer sheet to Backes; St.Louis matches.
2. St.Louis offer sheet to Bernier; Vancouver matches.
3. The Flyers offer-sheeted Kesler and Vancouver matched.

Even though no offer sheet was signed in either situation it is clear that the tool was used to force a trade.

Has your team been on one end or another of these situations that you could point out for us?

Last edited:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Hey All!

I was just on the Bruins board discussing offer sheets regarding current players and after one poster claimed that they are almost never used a second poster asked me if other teams have experienced the offer sheet threat that made a trade possible. For example:

In Boston:

2. Edmonton Oilers have an offer sheet threat with Dougie Hamilton which forces the Bruins to trade Hamilton to Calgary.

Even though no offer sheet was signed in either situation it is clear that the tool was used to force a trade.

Has your team been on one end or another of these situations that you could point out for us?

Did it really force them? If Hamilton signed for the same Calgary contract, Boston would have got more and better picks as compensation right?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Hey All!

I was just on the Bruins board discussing offer sheets regarding current players and after one poster claimed that they are almost never used a second poster asked me if other teams have experienced the offer sheet threat that made a trade possible. For example:

In Boston:

Not really, there are a possibility but the only reason there was an offersheet threat in either the kessel case or dougie case was Bostons cap situation.

In the Kessel case they gave the money to others that off season and it was pretty clear the had no intention of retaining phil

In the Hamiliton is was poor cap mgmt. over the last couple seasons. Generally in the cap era the offersheet only is a threat if a team can't match. In either event they lose the player either for compensation or a trade.

In both cases it seems Boston did not want to keep the player, Phil they chose to pay others instead and I think the DH situation it was less the offersheet threat than the thought that he would not sign LT with the B's or they did not want EDM to be the ones signing him to an offer sheet. A little of Cam's pride getting in the way of a sound hockey decision maybe- that has never happened before has it?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Canucks offer-sheeted Backes, which we matched, but we followed it up with a 1-year offer sheet for Steve Bernier, who at the time was with the Canucks.

Didn't lead to a trade like you are suggesting, but fits the narrative of retaliating with another offer sheet.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The Canucks offer-sheeted Backes, which we matched, but we followed it up with a 1-year offer sheet for Steve Bernier, who at the time was with the Canucks.

Didn't lead to a trade like you are suggesting, but fits the narrative of retaliating with another offer sheet.

Thanks! Will add it to OP.

RammsteinGT

Prairie Shark
Sep 24, 2008
YQL/YXE
Hjalmarsson signed with the Sharks, which forced the Hawks to match...which led to Niemi shaking loose as a free agent, whom Doug Wilson immediately signed.

Also, rumour had it that the Sharks would have OS'd Martin Jones in Boston who didn't need a pricey tandem - so it "forced" a trade.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Did it really force them? If Hamilton signed for the same Calgary contract, Boston would have got more and better picks as compensation right?

IIRC the Bruins got the same package the offer sheet would have got then just a year earlier for all the picks. The Bruins also offered a deal very similar to what he signed and he refused.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers offer-sheeted Chris Gratton, Ryan Kesler and Shea Weber off the top of my head. Tampa declined on Gratton. Kesler and Weber were matched.

The Flyers forfeited four 1st round picks to Tampa Bay when they declined to match on Gratton. The Flyers then traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis to Tampa Bay to get the four 1st round picks back.

Those picks turned into:

1997: Jean-Marc Pelletier
1998: Simon Gagne
1999: Maxime Ouellet
2000: Justin Williams

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks all! So far I've added each teams responses to the OP. I'll keep updating it as it unfolds and see which teams have had the offer sheet history come into play and how often.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Rumor has it an offer sheet was incoming to Saad had he not been traded to CBJ.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
2. Also, rumour had it that the Sharks would have OS'd Martin Jones in Boston who didn't need a pricey tandem - so it "forced" a trade.

This seems like a highly unlikely scenario. Considering Boston didn't need Jones and pretty much immediately traded him to San Jose who did want him but would have been next to impossible to acquire from rival Kings, it is much more likely that this was an arrangement already discussed between SJ and Boston. Even if that isn't the case, how quickly Boston dealt him off and how little need they even had for him really just doesn't fit a narrative of SJ pressuring Boston with an OS. This "rumour" just doesn't seem credible.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
As a free agent during the summer of 1997, Joe Sakic signed a three-year, $21 million offer sheet with the New York Rangers as a restricted free agent. Colorado obviously matched.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Wasn't it Edmonton that offer sheetfed Vanek in Buffalo

Nvm just read the link above. Crazy, I never knew about the Calgary offering Selanne one

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
CGY flames offer sheeted O'Reilly when he was in COL, which they matched, thank god.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...lly-offer-sheet-a-big-mistake-all-around.html

Thanks! Updated above and I'm only going to use 2006 on which has the common compensation as it seems before that had some varying compensation that we can't really compare to today's game and business model.

I'd love to keep adding any other rumours or ones like the Saad one to try and get a better idea of the threat and consequences of the threats (the Kessel situation).

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Was the offer sheet from Columbus?

That is uncertain. He might not be the best example for this thread, as nobody really knows who was going to submit an offer to him, however it was almost certain he would have received at least one.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I know there is a somewhat unwritten rule amongst GM's not to do them... which I think is stupid... id love to see more of these happen. Im surprised they aren't utilized on a regular basis every off season. Especially seeing that it seems so many teams are in cap trouble

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I know there is a somewhat unwritten rule amongst GM's not to do them... which I think is stupid... id love to see more of these happen. Im surprised they aren't utilized on a regular basis every off season. Especially seeing that it seems so many teams are in cap trouble

Because when you OS someone, you're going to be overspending on a player. Now you're the team in cap trouble and another team is just going to OS your player because you're cap trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad