Your team's favorite season as a fan?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
1992-93 felt to me like a WOW THIS IS GONNA BE OUR YEAR sort of year. Record home unbeaten streak. Nedved smashes the team scoring streak record. Bure smashes every seasonal record. First 100 point season for the team back when that really meant something. And then the playoffs were shaping up absolutely perfectly ... and then Gary f'ing Shuchuk scores a dirty OT winner and that's the end of it.
I believe the nemesis of the Canucks in that 1993 series was not Gary Shuchuk, but instead a little-known fellow by the name of 'Gretzky'.

I don't know what happened to Bure--granted, he was very young--in that series, but he didn't do much after a 60-goal season. Was he maybe burned out, after his first, full 80+ game grind?

Bearing in mind this is a post-prime Gretzky who'd just scored 16 goals after a near career-ending injury, the stats comparison in that series are telling:
Gretzky 6GP: 6G + 7A = 13 PTS (+6) Shooting 20.0%
Bure 6GP: 1G + 4A = 5 PTS (-2) Shooting 4.8%

For some reason, Bure couldn't beat Kelly Hrudey and Robb Stauber.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I am a Bruins fan born in 87, so the answer is easily 2010/2011, how can it be anything else? But another (regular) season that I really enjoyed as a fan was when Iginla played there in 2013/14.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Ranger fan here born in 88.

Obviously 94 was in my lifetime I was 6, seen 9 zillion replays but was too young to live it.

That 97 team was fun Messier and Gretzky back together, 9 year old me thought they're gonna win. But was still too young to understand the game.

Dark ages. 01-02 was a little fun till January, 02-03 fun at the end, that era mostly forgettable.

Post lock out 05-06 was a resurgent year but the playoffs bad ending ughh, 06-07 and 07-08 ok years. Early Torts era forgettable which leads me to 11-12.

Just signed Richards, Lundqvist in Vezina form, Gaborik scoring 40 again, Callahan earning the "C". Top of the league for alot of the year, ughh those playoffs really thought we were gonna take the cup. Torts ran his bench like an idiot and well it showed vs the Devils the team was dead. But that year was the first year in a long time that being a Ranger fan felt good. If only Torts was a good coach and they brought in another top 6 f at the deadline.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This depends on how you define season in the question, because I can see it interpreted two ways.

Like overall with a complete knowledge of how it ends, viewed as a whole. Or the enjoyment of being in the middle of it and experiencing a regular game without prejudice towards how the season ends.

If the former, obviously 2010-11 because they won the cup. But for the latter, the early part of 2011-2012 was possibly the most fun you could have, they had championship swagger, games were exciting, they were on fire for quite a while, we had the Lucic-Miller hit, a big winning streak early in the year, that Vancouver rematch where the refs couldn't control anything, etc. That as a really fun season, but Horton getting injured and losing in the first round in the end dampers it when you look at it in retrospect.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
2009-10 easily for me as a Hawks fan, although I would readily admit that I think the 2012-13 and even the 2013-14 squads were better teams (even though the latter didn't win).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The 13/14 Avalanche season was the first in my time as a fan (since 2002) where the team had a clear identity and what appeared to be a coherent plan for the future. Absolutely box office stuff from top to bottom, helped by the fact it was the one positive in my life at the time.

Turns out the identity was crap and didn't last and got replaced with more pain in the sort term but I guess it worked out, eventually.

Reactions: shadow1

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
The 13/14 Avalanche season was the first in my time as a fan (since 2002) where the team had a clear identity and what appeared to be a coherent plan for the future. Absolutely box office stuff from top to bottom, helped by the fact it was the one positive in my life at the time.

Turns out the identity was crap and didn't last and got replaced with more pain in the sort term but I guess it worked out, eventually.
Do you still hate Joe Sakic?😉

As a Red Wings fan, the 2007-08 was my favourite team for obvious reasons. I also liked the 2008-09 too despite the goaltending inconsistencies and f***ing Maxime Talbot.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It's got to be 1999-2000 season, Devils were the 2nd highest scoring team with the 7th fewest goals against in the league.

Then the playoffs started
Round 1:NJ sweeps Florida and all is well,
Round 2: After dropping game 1 NJ goes on to win 4 of the next 5 to eliminate the Leafs in 6
Round 3: NJ wins game 1 and the wheels fall off and they lose the next 3. Larry Robinson has the meltdown and they come all the way back to eliminate the Flyers
Stanley Cup: NJ is up 3 games to 1 heading into triple overtime in a 0-0 game, Modano tips one past Brodeur and there will be a game 6. They once again are headed in to second OT, but this time Stevens puts the puck into the corner, Elias retrieves it and sends a pass to a wide open Arnott who fires it over a sprawling Belfour...

For the second time in franchise history the New Jersey Devils are Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Reactions: Yurog and Brodeur

Kinnikuniverse

Sep 11, 2021
I had fun with that stupid franchise only 3 times in my life.

07-08: Kovalev's magical year, somehow finishing 1st in the conference. Playoff game live with my dad at the bell center, where kostopoulos wins it in OT against the flyers.

09-10: halak and beating both the pens and washington, only to lose again to the flyers...god, if gainey wasn't f***ing dumb and didn't reade mcdonaugh...

13-14: this was the year we should have made the cup finals, not 20-21. f***ing chris kreider, man...and to think we drafted louis leblanc over him...this is also where mcdonaugh's absence was felt in hindsight.

For real, a top 6 of:

Patch-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Kreider

And a big 4 on defense of McDonaugh, Subban, Markov and Petry...

With Price in net and Gallant as head coach...

Eller should've been traded after that season for a big haul instead of being extended...

But no, this stupid franchise is cursed because of where its based...i swear, if quebec wasn't quebec, the habs would've never hired so many incompetent idiots on the basis of being french. f*** the province of quebec. New york yankees of hockey? More like new york jets of hockey...

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I don't know what happened to Bure--granted, he was very young--in that series, but he didn't do much after a 60-goal season. Was he maybe burned out, after his first, full 80+ game grind?

Bearing in mind this is a post-prime Gretzky who'd just scored 16 goals after a near career-ending injury, the stats comparison in that series are telling:
Gretzky 6GP: 6G + 7A = 13 PTS (+6) Shooting 20.0%
Bure 6GP: 1G + 4A = 5 PTS (-2) Shooting 4.8%

For some reason, Bure couldn't beat Kelly Hrudey and Robb Stauber.
Indeed, that was most likely due to fatigue. He started the year on fired, even mounted a challenge towards 50 in 50 with 44 goals in his first 48. Then he scores only 16 in 35 the redt of the way, even rested him the final game of the season which might of helped him out for the firdt round but not beyond. I'd say he definitely wasn't used to the longer grind of the NHL season vs the shorter Soviet/Russian ones he was initally accustomed to. Pavel Bure Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
1981-82 Islanders. They always appeared to play a man up during even strength. Only lost 16 games so coach Arbour ripped ‘‘em a new one only 16 times. Well deserved Cup too!

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This is a tough one for me, but I think the 1995-96 Wings were one of my all-time favorite teams to watch. The Russian Five absolutely controlled the puck for 75% of the game it seemed. If they calculated corsi/fenwick scores back then they would be through the roof for that 5 man unit.

One of the most exciting games I've ever been to was Detroit vs. Winnipeg when Detroit won their 60th game of the season to tie Montreal's single-season record. Detroit moved the puck so effectively that Osgood only saw 14 shots on net while Khabibulin had to stand on his head the whole game. Detroit probably could have won that game 8-2 instead of 5-2 if they didn't try to be so pretty with the puck the whole game.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's got to be 1999-2000 season, Devils were the 2nd highest scoring team with the 7th fewest goals against in the league.

Then the playoffs started
Round 1:NJ sweeps Florida and all is well,
Round 2: After dropping game 1 NJ goes on to win 4 of the next 5 to eliminate the Leafs in 6
Round 3: NJ wins game 1 and the wheels fall off and they lose the next 3. Larry Robinson has the meltdown and they come all the way back to eliminate the Flyers
Stanley Cup: NJ is up 3 games to 1 heading into triple overtime in a 0-0 game, Modano tips one past Brodeur and there will be a game 6. They once again are headed in to second OT, but this time Stevens puts the puck into the corner, Elias retrieves it and sends a pass to a wide open Arnott who fires it over a sprawling Belfour...

For the second time in franchise history the New Jersey Devils are Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Being a weirdo Devils fan on the west coast, I wasn't able to truly follow the team on a day-to-day basis until 2002 when I could finally afford to split Center Ice with my friend. Aside from the subsequent 2003 Cup season (which wasn't nearly as fun a team to watch as the 1999-2001 squads):

2005-06: Team loses Stevens to retirement, Niedermayer to free agency, and seemingly Elias to Hep A from tainted food. With limited options, Lou signs Mogilny, Malakhov, and McGillis to replace those three to unsexy results. Devils get off to a mediocre start, most people/media are happy enough to close the window on the team.

Midway through the season, Lou jettisons the 3Ms and Elias returns to jump start the squad. Devils go on a hot streak in the second half and end up winning the division on the final day of the season.

2011-12: The previous season had been a tale of two halves again. It was an unmitigated disaster under first time head coach John MacLean. Zach Parise tore his ACL early and there were a ton of injuries on defense. Ilya Kovalchuk had a rough start with his extension and was the easy scape goat. The team had a strong second half under Jacques Lemaire (plus the defense got healthy) but it was too big of a hole to climb out of.

Most people closed the window again but the team continued to play well going into the following season with an unexpected run to the Finals.

The window did close with Parise leaving after the season and Kovalchuk having one foot out the door, but it was an enjoyable last hoorah for Brodeur/Elias.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
For me as a Red Wings fan, it has to be 07/08.

As a recent high school grad (graduated in 2005) I got super "re-invested" in my hockey fandom after the canceled lockout season. Also, since EA had stopped updating their PC NHL games, I turned my PC based hockey activities to speculating and arguing with fellow fans on a Red Wings forum.

The 2008 season was kind of the culmination of it and for some reason I've retained a ton of memories/anecdotes from that year (trying to go in order):

-The camp/pre-season/early regular season drama over Igor Grigorenko. Not to mention his fight during a pre-season game against the Leafs that had Babcock laughing on the bench. Then the outrage from some Red Wings fans when he didn't make the team over Aaron Downey with some exclaiming he would've eventually lit it up had he just been gifted a spot next to Datsyuk.

-I was one who loved having Aaron Downey around that year (see avatar).

-McCarty's return: I SWEAR there was a game early in the season where Mickey Redmond talked about how Kris Draper was trying to get in touch with Darren McCarty. A few games later, McCarty was shown in the crowd, and after that his come back kind of started. His return as well as the redemption of Chris Osgood were probably my favorite things about that year.

-I don't know why I always remember this, but during the playoffs the local news covered a parking lot BBQ for the team hosted by now recently dismissed zamboni driver and building guy Al Sobotka. They interviewed Dallas Drake, who made jokes about the amount of food Johan Franzen was able to stack on a flimsy paper plate.

-Speaking of Drake, those hits he was throwing in the WCF against the Stars....

-During the Finals, you had the one Pens fan that would routinely interrupt Mickey Redmond during the pre-game coverage, which would illicit responses from Mickey (I swear the same guy was doing during the 2009 Finals as well...). IIRC, he said something like "Detroit Sucks" and Mickey Redmond was like "OK, Thanks".

-The controversy when local Detroit TV news sportscaster Katrina Hancock told a Pittsburgh station that the Pens had better fans, or something like that.

-Once all was said and done, I went to the Red Wings Stanley Cup parade. This was at a time where the heat surrounding then Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was reaching a nuclear level. I always remember fans loudly cheered for a guy in a business suit that held up a sign that said "Impeach". Then when Kwame made a congratulatory speech, the booing was so loud that you could barely hear him and could no longer hear the blaring horns from the boats going by on the Detroit River... There was also (likely intoxicated) Jiri Hudler starting a "Let's Go Red Vings" chant.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Penguins

The 2000 - 2001 season.

- Mario Lemieux un-retires and returns to hockey after three years.
- Jaromir Jagr's final season as a Penguin.
- The magic of the best second line in ice hockey with Martin Straka, Robert Lang, and Alexei Kovalev.
- Johan 'the moose' Hedberg as our goalie.
- Kevin Stevens returns to Pittsburgh for our playoff run.
- Multiple memorable goals during the playoffs from Mario Lemieux, Martin Straka, and Darius Kasparaitis.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pittsburgh Penguins

The 2000 - 2001 season.

- Mario Lemieux un-retires and returns to hockey after three years.
- Jaromir Jagr's final season as a Penguin.
- The magic of the best second line in ice hockey with Martin Straka, Robert Lang, and Alexei Kovalev.
- Johan 'the moose' Hedberg as our goalie.
- Kevin Stevens returns to Pittsburgh for our playoff run.
- Multiple memorable goals during the playoffs from Mario Lemieux, Martin Straka, and Darius Kasparaitis.

love the moose

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
1991-92 New York Rangers. Presidents Trophy winners and were loaded with likeable homegrown talent, plus young players who played very well that season. Most of the trade and waiver acquisitions were great too. They were a more talented bunch and more enjoyable to.watch than the 93-94 Cup champs. Sadly that Ron Francis center line slapper ended what likely was to be a Stanley Cup. So many players on that team that I wanted to hoist the cup that weren't there in 94.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
1. Luleå 2021-22
2. Luleå 2000-01
3. Luleå 2019-20

2000-01 is nostalgic for me as a fan, I went to a ton of home games and cheered the team from the standing section. Very few teams beat us at home. Mikael Renberg had returned after a few banged up seasons lately in the NHL and seemed to thrive under the less hectic SEL schedule: he was brilliant. We had a few exciting young names of the future in, mixed in with former champions and loyal team legends. Just a fun time to look back on, unfortunately a tier below Djurgården’s torpedo team and Färjestad’s water-skiing one.

2019-2020 was a great ride, very cohesive group playing an attractive possession game that won the regular season in a pretty dominant fashion. I had to that point never felt so confident in a Luleå team heading into the playoffs — which was canceled due to covid. Not sure if it’s the third best or all-time worst season for me as a fan: fun while it lasted, but to hell with it.

The next season was a bit of a roller-coaster, Luleå probably could have made some moves to improve the team further with the uncertainties of the NHL season during the pandemic, but instead opted to sit back on the roster we had. Continued pretty much were we’d left off the year before, but other teams began to deconstruct our system in a very painful way after new year’s. Skellefteå made some great additions before the transfer deadline, and it was just our typical luck we were going to have to face them in the quarterfinals, in the off-year following a really great one, but we gave them a run for their money, dragged the series out to a game 7 and if not for our goalie Lassinantti missing a key game with migraines, I’m confident we could have pocketed a glorious upset.

But the following season, 2021-22, was the ride of my life as a fan.

Luleå had used its financial resources conservatively during the no-attendance covid season, but the following off-season was ripe with awesome and interesting adds: above all, the return of Linus Omark.

After a slow start, Luleå began rolling. We found the fit for Omark in Pontus Andreasson’s snipes and Tyrväinen’s grit in front of the net.

Wallstedt came into his own as an SHL starter, whereas Lassinantti had a shaky start which he improved on immensely, giving us arguably the best tandem in the league.

The d-corps was improved upon with “old, end of the road Sami Lepistö”… who was absolutely brilliant. Erik Gustafsson, Lepistö, Honka, Engsund, they were as good a top four as they come in the SHL.

I even prayed for a playoff lineup to the championship games of QF: Växjö, SF: Frölunda, Finals: Skellefteå, just to make our road to our first championship in 26 years one of a series of triumphs over the banes of our existence over the last decade.

At least we got one out of three. We edged out a frustrating, tight boxing Örebro with the near-unbeatable Enroth in net, over 5 games. We got a gritty, closer-than-it-seemed-from-afar Frölunda revenge run in the semifinals, where Ryan Lasch and Elmer Söderlund the tall lanky skilled Wings prospect were made into perimeter losers. Erik Gustafsson and Oscar Engsund played godlike shutdown defense in front of a brilliant Lassinantti to bail us out of a crucial game 4 where all forwards seemed unable to keep the puck within the team or get anything going forward.

And then we surprisingly, considering how woefully inept they’d been the first half of the season, received Färjestad in the finals, who’d shocked every seeded opponent on their road to the finals. Of course we lost, but not before giving me the best live hockey experience in-attendance, the resurrection of Einar Emanuelsson who followed up an inexplicable single goal regular season with five tallies in the championship finals series, including the OT game winner when Färjestad came back from being behind 4-1 in game 3 which I’d flown home to see. Maaaaan was I ever on top of the world.

Eventually there’s game 7. Two periods of dominant play, two or three posts and no goal… Of course we’d lose and I’m heartbroken for life, barely able to enjoy hockey since, and every game night I pray that Theodor Lennström, hockey’s most punchable face, will soil himself on the ice mid-game, burst into tears crying for mommy to pick him up as the crowd laughs at him, and subsequently retires from hockey due to the utter humiliation.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
MTL

1993, because we won the Stanley Cup.

Other than that, 2008. The Kovalev year where we finished 1st in the Eastern Conference playing a wildly entertaining style of hockey.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
2015-16 by far. One of my favorite players Kessel being traded to the 'Burgh. Horrible fall, my high school friends were teasing me because they thought Crosby was washed(7yrs ago lol dude's still elite). Few games after Sullivan coming in I remember texting my brother that Pens will win the cup and I was sold about that since January. HBK started dominating and Pens played most entertaining hockey I've ever seen. I was hyped of Murray before he came to NHL and it was awesome to see him playing great. Sullivan bringing all his AHL guys Rusty, Sheary and Kuhn to deliver in the show was fun too.
Was actually in Pittsburgh that November and saw them play the Sharks. The attitude around the arena was doom and glom.
1991-92 New York Rangers. Presidents Trophy winners and were loaded with likeable homegrown talent, plus young players who played very well that season. Most of the trade and waiver acquisitions were great too. They were a more talented bunch and more enjoyable to.watch than the 93-94 Cup champs. Sadly that Ron Francis center line slapper ended what likely was to be a Stanley Cup. So many players on that team that I wanted to hoist the cup that weren't there in 94.
Ive always said they win that Game 4 the curse is over 2 years earlier

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
As a Bruins fan born in '74, the obvious answer for me is 2011.

There was a game against Montreal in February '11 that was probably my favorite regular season game of all time. What a donnybrook that game was!

Later on in that same regular season, my brother won tickets to one of the luxury suites at the Garden, and a bunch of our family and friends went with us to watch the Bruins shut out the Blackhawks 3-0. Shawn Thornton has to leave the game because of a nasty cut on his face from a skate after he had fallen down. Thankfully, he wasn't hurt more seriously. That game v.s the Blackhawks was also the last game I ever went to with my dad. I'm very, VERY thankful that his last Bruins game at the Garden was a shutout win over an Original Six team. Very fitting for my old man.

The playoffs were MAGICAL. A seven game win over the Canadiens after falling behind 2-0 was BEAUTIFUL. Until this series, the Bruins had never overcome an 0-2 deficit in a 7 game series. Winning Games 3 and 4 IN Montreal was amazing, and Game 7 even went into overtime! My second favorite playoff series of all time.

A four game sweep of the Flyers to avenge the 2010 debacle was delicious. I think this series is overlooked given the rest of the playoffs, but this series was an important catharsis for the Bruins and their fans.

A seven game white-knuckle ride with the Lightning that could have gone either way. That series was stressful, but it punched the ticket to the Final.

Another seven game 0-2 comeback against the Canucks to win the Cup for the first time in my lifetime. What a slugfest! The best series I have ever watched in my life. I know I'm biased, but it's my post and I can say what I want. Vancouver won Games 1 and 2 by the scores of 1-0 and 3-2. The only goal of Game 1 was scored with less than 20 seconds left in the game, and Game 2 was decided in OT after the Bruins lost a 2-1 lead.

I was absolutely dejected and I just couldn't believe the season was going to end this way... However, an 8-1 bloodletting - both figuratively and literally - in Game 3 made me feel a lot better and believe that the Bruins could actually make a series out of this. "Not dead yet," I remember thinking to myself. Game 4 was another penalty-filled game, but resulted in a 4-0 Bruins win. Brand new best of three series. I felt like the Bruins just got to a brand new Final series and anything was possible.

Not as many goals or penalties in a 1-0 loss in Game 5, but I was confident that the Games 3 and 4 Bruins would show up for Game 6... and they did. Four goals in the first period resulted in a 5-2 home win for the Bruins.

A one-game winner-take-all series was what we had left on June 15. I was a basket case all day. I had a side job replacing some light fixtures for my friend's aunt and I couldn't get home fast enough. I stopped by our local parish, lit a candle and prayed hard for a win. I called my dad before the game to talk about how he thought the Bs were going to do, and my always non-committal (when it comes to predictions) father said that he thought the Bruins were going to get it done. I knew it was a done deal when I saw Patrice Bergeron net his first of the game to make it 1-0. Vancouver never got on track and the Bruins cruised to a 4-0 win and the Stanley Cup.

The Bruins could win the Stanley Cup for the next ten years in a row, but I can't possibly imagine a better and more satisfying run to the Cup than 2011.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Watching Colorado gel together in the 17-18 season was one of the best sports memories I ever had. I couldn't watch their games when I was younger so I never really got to keep up with their glory years. I also couldn't watch many games during their cup winning run last year because of my sleep schedule.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I wish I was a few years older when the 92-93 Sabres were playing because that team, while by no means dominant, was a menace on offense and had the upset sweep of Boston in the playoffs.

The late 90s Sabres teams weren't fun to watch even if they were consistently very good.

05-06 is probably the choice for those who weren't alive for the French Connection era. 06-07 was dominant but there was the lingering anxiety over Briere and/or Drury leaving and some infighting among the players and Connolly was out for 80 games so it just wasn't quite as enjoyable. 05-06 was much less stressful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad