Your teams best and worst trades

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Thorburn played three prior seasons in North Bay before they became Saginaw so including playoffs he played 241 games for the franchise and was your best player on that team. I understand your point as far as Trocheck actually being in Saginaw and a long time fan favorite but the value wasn't all that bad had Bratina not had injury issues. The Thorburn trade was bad. Will you ever see anyone trade a 19 year old captain plus a second rounder for an unproven rookie? Palafito wasn't best GM but he wasn't the worst GM Saginaw had.
Would someone like Thorburn have garnered someone’s first round pick normally in a trade? Absolutely not. Captain or not, he’s wasn’t a superstar player. Throwing in a pick isn’t crazy. The fact it was a second is dumb but I get the logic. You have to throw in a pick for an ok second line player to get you someone’s first.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
This one always rubbed me the wrong way. Typical Sarnia desperation trade - this one during the Stamkos years.

"The Colts have sent overage forward Vladimir Nikiforov, goaltender Andrew Perugini, plus their 6th Round Pick in the 2008 Priority Selection and Sarnia's 4th Round Pick in the 2008 Priority Selection to Sarnia in exchange for 17-year old defenseman Dalton Prout, 17-year old goaltender Peter Di Salvo, overage forward Ryan Berard, 16-year old forward Colton Kennedy and three draft picks; Sarnia's 2nd Round picks in 2008 and 2009, plus their 3rd Round Pick in 2011 (conditional)."

Absolutely loved Vlad (RIP), but that clown Leo Jenner in Plymouth took a cheap shot elbow and broke Vladimir's jaw. While Perugini was good, he was never as good for us as he was in Barrie.

Crazy that Sarnia sent two 17 year olds, one 16 year old and still sent two 2nd rd picks and a 3rd.....all that for 24 games of Nikiforov and 39 games of Perugini.....but hey, at least we made it to round TWO(!!) that year before getting swept by KIT lmao.

I'll echo on StingUpdates on the best one being Sarrault from KGN. Him, Boucher and Goldobin were a force...not sure I've seen a more dominant Sting line in all my years watching.

Reactions: StingUpdates

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Alright, here is my best stabs at London trades.

Best trades:

Robbie Schremp for Kyle Quincey and picks.

Austin Watson for Chase Hatcher and two 2nd round picks.

Adam Dennis and Dan Girardi for Rick Steadman, Ryan McDonald and picks.

2011 CHL Import pick (Olli Maatta) to Barrie for 2011 CHL Import pick (Matthias Niederberger), Reid McNeil and picks.

John Tavares, Michael Del Zotto, and Darryl Borden for Christian Thomas, Michael Zador, Scott Valentine and a boatload of picks.

Danny Fritcshe for 3 draft picks.

Worst trade

Greg McKegg, Brett Cook, Tyson Teischmann for Dane Fox, Troy Donnay and a boatload of picks.

Knights trade Andreas Athanasiou to Barrie for picks.

Nothing Else Maattas

Oct 25, 2012
Erie, PA
Alright, here is my best stabs at London trades.

Worst trade

Greg McKegg, Brett Cook, Tyson Teischmann for Dane Fox, Troy Donnay and a boatload of picks.
I come out of retirement just to reply to this message. Seeing Kegger get sent away to London hurt me inside. Tyson Teichmann was just one of the 10000 goalies we started between 2010 to when Dansk showed up.
Dane Fox brought people to the arena and we were all captivated on his goal scoring prowess.
Troy Donnay became a vital part of the defense and it always fascinated how he managed to skate like he did being 6'7

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
This one always rubbed me the wrong way. Typical Sarnia desperation trade - this one during the Stamkos years.

"The Colts have sent overage forward Vladimir Nikiforov, goaltender Andrew Perugini, plus their 6th Round Pick in the 2008 Priority Selection and Sarnia's 4th Round Pick in the 2008 Priority Selection to Sarnia in exchange for 17-year old defenseman Dalton Prout, 17-year old goaltender Peter Di Salvo, overage forward Ryan Berard, 16-year old forward Colton Kennedy and three draft picks; Sarnia's 2nd Round picks in 2008 and 2009, plus their 3rd Round Pick in 2011 (conditional)."

Absolutely loved Vlad (RIP), but that clown Leo Jenner in Plymouth took a cheap shot elbow and broke Vladimir's jaw. While Perugini was good, he was never as good for us as he was in Barrie.

Crazy that Sarnia sent two 17 year olds, one 16 year old and still sent two 2nd rd picks and a 3rd.....all that for 24 games of Nikiforov and 39 games of Perugini.....but hey, at least we made it to round TWO(!!) that year before getting swept by KIT lmao.

I'll echo on StingUpdates on the best one being Sarrault from KGN. Him, Boucher and Goldobin were a force...not sure I've seen a more dominant Sting line in all my years watching.
Nikiforov was one of my favourite Colts ever and for my money one of the most entertaining OHL players i've ever seen (last 25 years).

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
as someone who watched both play alot in minor midget, mitchell theoret for brendan perlini was one of the worst trades i remember. even barrie homer gene pereira thought it was bad

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Welp. There's more than I'd like to remember for Sarnia, but I'd say

Worst - Konecny & Studnicka + 3rd for *ahem* Sasha Chmelevski, Chase Campbell, three 2nds, three 3rds, two 5ths + two conditional 2nds (i think we got those back)

I absolutely LOVED Konecny & haven't enjoyed watching a player more, but we got a whopping 33 games out of him & as we do lost in 7 in round one as he sat in the press box hurt. Chmelevski went on to play 156 games (incl playoffs) in OTT putting up 236 points.. oh and we handed them more ammunition than maybe any team has had to go add multiple star players which got them to the finals & helped them be elite for multiple years.

I know everyone else is probably going with a guy who helped them win! Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury lol. Are a couple that have been terrific but I'll go with ~

Charles Sarault from KGN for a 3rd & 6th. Sarault had 205 points in 146 games in Sarnia. Was captain his OA yr, finished 2nd in league points (1 off #1) & was OA of the year in the O.

If u are wondering we lost in RD1 both years with him. So yah. High bar in Sarnia.
Yeah that Konecny trade definitely was one of the worst. With two of the draft picks Ottawa got they ended up selecting Jack Quinn and current starting goalie Max Donoso

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
Worst for Saginaw IMO is still sending Trocheck to Plymouth. That hurt so much when it happened. We got Zach Bratina, a 2nd and 2 3rds for our most beloved player. Bratina didn’t do much in his time here. Was moved to North Bay where he had a good resurgence before injuries ended his career. In that trade we got Blake Clarke who suffered from injuries as well. So in the end, we got almost nothing to build on from trading 89 to our biggest rival. This set the tone for the era of futility that occurred from 2012-2018.

Best? I’ll go with Josh Shalla. We traded Adam Comrie (D), rights to Matt Hoyle (played one meh season), and Saginaw’s 2nd round import pick in 09. In return we got Shalla, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and Guelph’s 1st Import pick in 09. Shalla came in right away with 32 goals. Followed that up with back to back 40 goal seasons including the mark that still stands as the single season spirit record of 47. He finished with 119 goals and still stands as Saginaw’s most prolific goal scorer.
your worst trade was scheifele and a 2nd for an OA goalie

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Saginaw's worst trade, to me, was a result of COVID. We traded Ethan Cardwell (a career point a game player), Connor Punnet (tough defensemen that we have needed), a 2nd, (2) 3rds and a 5th for Ryan Suzuki, Ryan Beck and Peter Fleming.

The reason this trade was so rough was that we gave up a ton to get Suzuki for a year and a half to play with Perfetti and we got 23 games out of him. Couple that with Ryan Beck who we successfully recruited to sign a contract and then (from all accounts) didn't want to meet the covid requirements of the OHL so he stuck with the NCAA route.

It has all worked out in the long run getting Misa and the Memorial Cup but we emptied the cupboard to load up around Perfetti and the covid cancellation cost us a great season and the opportunity to deal guys like Perfetti to reload the cupboard. Again, perfectly fine with the long game but that was a tough trade to look at in retrospect.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw's worst trade, to me, was a result of COVID. We traded Ethan Cardwell (a career point a game player), Connor Punnet (tough defensemen that we have needed), a 2nd, (2) 3rds and a 5th for Ryan Suzuki, Ryan Beck and Peter Fleming.

The reason this trade was so rough was that we gave up a ton to get Suzuki for a year and a half to play with Perfetti and we got 23 games out of him. Couple that with Ryan Beck who we successfully recruited to sign a contract and then (from all accounts) didn't want to meet the covid requirements of the OHL so he stuck with the NCAA route.

It has all worked out in the long run getting Misa and the Memorial Cup but we emptied the cupboard to load up around Perfetti and the covid cancellation cost us a great season and the opportunity to deal guys like Perfetti to reload the cupboard. Again, perfectly fine with the long game but that was a tough trade to look at in retrospect.
I still think that 19-20 team would have won it all. Just firing on all cylinders. Think it was something like 8 straight games scoring 5 or more. Just got Wilde back. What could have been.

Reactions: frontsfan67

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
The one that sticks out as a bad one for the Petes for me was from about 20 years ago. They traded Ryan Ramsay and TJ Eason to Kitchener for Jimmy Gagnon and Matt Armstrong. Ramsay ended up being traded to Plymouth (where he put up 88 points) and the Rangers got Gregory Campbell. Campbell was a huge part of them winning the Memorial Cup in 2003 and Eason was a solid, reliable defensemen on that team.

Gagnon and Armstrong? Adequate 3rd liners. There may have been picks involved, I can't recall exactly. But that was a horrible, horrible trade for the Petes.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The one that sticks out as a bad one for the Petes for me was from about 20 years ago. They traded Ryan Ramsay and TJ Eason to Kitchener for Jimmy Gagnon and Matt Armstrong. Ramsay ended up being traded to Plymouth (where he put up 88 points) and the Rangers got Gregory Campbell. Campbell was a huge part of them winning the Memorial Cup in 2003 and Eason was a solid, reliable defensemen on that team.

Gagnon and Armstrong? Adequate 3rd liners. There may have been picks involved, I can't recall exactly. But that was a horrible, horrible trade for the Petes.
That was a really bad trade. I do not believe draft picks were involved. It was Ryan Ramsay and TJ Eason for Matt Armstrong, Jimmy Gagnon and Bryan McGregor. The later was a 2000 draft pick of Kitchener that was traded to the Petes in the off season to complete the trade. From what I remember McGregor was considered a top prospect that was intending to go the US College route that Jeff Twohey thought he could convince to come Peterborough. He was not able to convince him to do so. If he had the trade would have likely been seen in a better light.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Before I get into the Owen Sound trades let's first off bring something to that our longstanding GM said "I never want to be picking 1st overall" DD.

There's certainly been years in this league where GMs had made odd deals. Our most questionable deal ever was during the MF years in trading Bailey to the Spitfires of a so-so goalie in Guadagnolo, Guadagnolo never really lived up to the hype in OS and we eventually flamed out in the playoffs.

To narrow down our beat trades I'd have to say there was 2. Both minor deals that led to big success in Owen Sound. The first was picking up Robby Mignardi from Kingston and the other deal was Jesse Blacker from Windsor both were key pieces in bringing a championship to Owen Sound. These deals certainly represent the type of team Owen Sound Attack truly are.
I think possibly the best trade that Owen Sound made was made with the Peterborough Petes in the first year they were in Owen Sound. They acquired Jamey Hicks for a mid round draft pick. Jamey went into get 90 points in 57 games for the Platers. From a Petes perspective it was a good news story because he was an overage player there was no room for him in Peterborough and the Dick Todd had a hard time finding a place for him as he had been often injured and had only been at best a point a game player. With the Owen Sound he had a chance to play top line minutes and his production increased because of it. Everyone in Peterborough was pleased with the success he had and in fact gave him a standing ovation when he recorded a milestone point against the Petes.

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Kitchener acquired Gabe Landeskog for the rights to Tomas Tatar was a steal

I still really hate the Jack Combs trade. believe we only got a 2nd round pick back but he end up having a 100 point season in the year we hosted the memorial cup in 2008.

Standing pat in 2011-2012 I believe was also a failure. Not sure if that counts.

My mind can only go back to about 98 but these are some of the ones that come to mind

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kitchener acquired Gabe Landeskog for the rights to Tomas Tatar was a steal

I still really hate the Jack Combs trade. believe we only got a 2nd round pick back but he end up having a 100 point season in the year we hosted the memorial cup in 2008.

Standing pat in 2011-2012 I believe was also a failure. Not sure if that counts.

My mind can only go back to about 98 but these are some of the ones that come to mind

Landeskog was always coming to Kitchener in a cooked deal, the type that often happens in the import draft. It was common knowledge. Mike Vellucci in Plymouth knew this and drafted him ahead of Kitchener knowing he could capitalize big time in dealing him to Kitchener. The Rangers, caught with their pants down, pivoted and drafted Tatar who, it was widely known, had no intention of playing in the CHL.

The trade to Kitchener was Landeskog for the rights to Tatar, a 2nd, a 4th, and a 1st round import pick in 2010.
Note: that import pick in 2010 turned out to be Rickard Rackell. Not too shabby. A good days work for Vellucci.

There’s no argument that the Rangers bringing in Landeskog was a win, but it cost way more than it was supposed to.

I believe that Jack Combs to Saginaw was part two of the two part deal that saw JM Rizk come to Kitchener the previous trade deadline. So when you look at it that way, it’s not so lopsided.

For me, the absolute worst outcome of a trade for the Rangers is the Steve Mason deal. Not so much the deal itself, but the outcome. He was stellar as a Ranger but, mainly due to injury, only played 16 regular season games (13-3 record) plus five playoff games (5-0 record). We all know the players that went the other way (Kadri. Varone. Tarasuk). This was also the opinion of the great Don Cameron as well. And he should know as he was a part of every Ranger season from 1963 to that point.

I’ll go off the board a little bit for one of the best Ranger trades that I can remember:

The above Landeskog fiasco with Plymouth caused the Rangers to not have a first round import pick in 2010. So they completed the following:

To Belleville: Alex Aleardi and a 5th rounder

To Kitchener: Matt Tipoff and Belleville’s 1st round import pick, 5th overall in 2010.

The Ranger’s used that pick to select Tobias Rieder.

Tipoff and Rieder for Aleardi and a 5th?

I’ve been very critical of Steve Spott on here, but there’s no denying this trade as a big win for the Rangers.

Honorable mentions? A couple more Spott trades:

Chris MacKinnon for 2x2nds.
Matt Puempel for 2x2nds.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
London’s worst value trades were easily Centorame and Platzer for Smith. Popov for a 6th was also terrible. DeGray knows how to trade. He should do it more.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Landeskog was always coming to Kitchener in a cooked deal, the type that often happens in the import draft. It was common knowledge. Mike Vellucci in Plymouth knew this and drafted him ahead of Kitchener knowing he could capitalize big time in dealing him to Kitchener. The Rangers, caught with their pants down, pivoted and drafted Tatar who, it was widely known, had no intention of playing in the CHL.

The trade to Kitchener was Landeskog for the rights to Tatar, a 2nd, a 4th, and a 1st round import pick in 2010.
Note: that import pick in 2010 turned out to be Rickard Rackell. Not too shabby. A good days work for Vellucci.

There’s no argument that the Rangers bringing in Landeskog was a win, but it cost way more than it was supposed to.

I believe that Jack Combs to Saginaw was part two of the two part deal that saw JM Rizk come to Kitchener the previous trade deadline. So when you look at it that way, it’s not so lopsided.

For me, the absolute worst outcome of a trade for the Rangers is the Steve Mason deal. Not so much the deal itself, but the outcome. He was stellar as a Ranger but, mainly due to injury, only played 16 regular season games (13-3 record) plus five playoff games (5-0 record). We all know the players that went the other way (Kadri. Varone. Tarasuk). This was also the opinion of the great Don Cameron as well. And he should know as he was a part of every Ranger season from 1963 to that point.

I’ll go off the board a little bit for one of the best Ranger trades that I can remember:

The above Landeskog fiasco with Plymouth caused the Rangers to not have a first round import pick in 2010. So they completed the following:

To Belleville: Alex Aleardi and a 5th rounder

To Kitchener: Matt Tipoff and Belleville’s 1st round import pick, 5th overall in 2010.

The Ranger’s used that pick to select Tobias Rieder.

Tipoff and Rieder for Aleardi and a 5th?

I’ve been very critical of Steve Spott on here, but there’s no denying this trade as a big win for the Rangers.

Honorable mentions? A couple more Spott trades:

Chris MacKinnon for 2x2nds.
Matt Puempel for 2x2nds.
What about Kitchener Ranger legend Robby fabbri. Deal always make me chuckle.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4