Your teams best and worst trades

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Curious for all you long time OHL fans/followers, what was your teams favourite trade or acquisition? and what was a trade your team made that you wish you/team could take back or one you wish didn't come to fruition?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa 67’s

Worst Trade:

To Windsor
G - Anthony Guadagnolo
Rights to Adam Sponseller
Ottawa 2006 1st round CHL Import pick

To Ottawa
Windsor’s 2006 1st round Import Pick.

NOTE: Ottawa finished 15th overall. Windsor finished 14th overall. Essentially Ottawa gave Windsor a starting goalie they ended up trading to Owen sound for something like a 2nd round pick and Ottawa received a later CHL pick. Ottawa essentially paid Windsor to take Guadagnolo.

Best Trade:

I can’t remember what Ottawa traded but they acquired Michael Peca from the Sudbury Wolves for some ridiculously low return.
Honourable Mention: Adam Smyth to Owen Sound for two 2nd round picks. Smyth was a tough kid but two 2nds for him was a robbery.

Reactions: tjziel

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Petes best trades in recent years were Emmett Sproule from Erie for a 6th round draft pick and their trade with Barrie in 2013 for Josh MacDonald which only cost them a 4th round draft pick. The worst trades were the one with London in 2012 in which they traded Austin Watson for Chase Hatcher and two, 2nd round draft picks and the trade where they sent Matt Pumpuel to Kitchener for Zach Lorentz and two, 2nd round draft picks.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Ottawa 67’s

Worst Trade:

To Windsor
G - Anthony Guadagnolo
Rights to Adam Sponseller
Ottawa 2006 1st round CHL Import pick

To Ottawa
Windsor’s 2006 1st round Import Pick.

NOTE: Ottawa finished 15th overall. Windsor finished 14th overall. Essentially Ottawa gave Windsor a starting goalie they ended up trading to Owen sound for something like a 2nd round pick and Ottawa received a later CHL pick. Ottawa essentially paid Windsor to take Guadagnolo.

Best Trade:

I can’t remember what Ottawa traded but they acquired Michael Peca from the Sudbury Wolves for some ridiculously low return.
Honourable Mention: Adam Smyth to Owen Sound for two 2nd round picks. Smyth was a tough kid but two 2nds for him was a robbery.
The trade for Michael Peca was Peca and goaltender Dan Ryder for goaltender, Mike Lenarduzzi and a 4th round draft pick. Lenarduzzi was acquired earlier in the season from Sault Ste Marie in the Chris Simon trade. Lenarduzzi had been the Greyhound’s starting goaltender on their 1990-1991 OHL Championship team.

Reactions: OMG67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dahm for a 4th then Donato on the same day was exactly what the wolves needed for run to the ohl final.

Sokolov and a 3rd for Lipanov might be the worst ohl trade of all-time.

The best first impression goes to Franky Palazzese

mattommy98

Apr 3, 2023
I mean before Niagara wasted away all their pics over the last few years. I thought the Tomasino trade for 10 draft pics was pretty good. Mind you we had the Covid non-season so Oshawa didn’t get Him longer than one season, but they still did very well with what they had a win-win for both

Reactions: three dog night

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023

To Erie

Cory Pecker

To Sault Ste Marie

Troy Ilijow & Patrick Lamesse (No idea if draft picks were involved on either side)

To Erie

Brandon Cullen

To Oshawa

Scott Rozendal (No idea if draft picks were involved on either side)

To Erie

Chris Berti

To Sarnia

Riley Moher & Kenny Jung (No idea if draft picks were involved on either side)

Add Mike Rice, Chris Eade, Jeff Doyle and TJ Aceti (RIP) in '02 for Erie's first OHL title.

Reactions: ZinErie

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Kyle Dubas trading for Jack Campbell hands down.

To the Greyhounds: Jack Campbell

To the Windsor Spitfires: Mackenzie Braid, Patrick Sieloff, and six draft picks (Kingston’s third-round pick in 2012, Windsor’s second-round pick in 2013, Erie’s third-round pick in 2013, Owen Sound’s second-round pick in 2014, Saginaw’s second-round pick in 2014, Sault Ste. Marie’s second-round pick in 2015 and another conditional 2018 Sault Ste. Marie pick)

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Worst for Saginaw IMO is still sending Trocheck to Plymouth. That hurt so much when it happened. We got Zach Bratina, a 2nd and 2 3rds for our most beloved player. Bratina didn’t do much in his time here. Was moved to North Bay where he had a good resurgence before injuries ended his career. In that trade we got Blake Clarke who suffered from injuries as well. So in the end, we got almost nothing to build on from trading 89 to our biggest rival. This set the tone for the era of futility that occurred from 2012-2018.

Best? I’ll go with Josh Shalla. We traded Adam Comrie (D), rights to Matt Hoyle (played one meh season), and Saginaw’s 2nd round import pick in 09. In return we got Shalla, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and Guelph’s 1st Import pick in 09. Shalla came in right away with 32 goals. Followed that up with back to back 40 goal seasons including the mark that still stands as the single season spirit record of 47. He finished with 119 goals and still stands as Saginaw’s most prolific goal scorer.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Before I get into the Owen Sound trades let's first off bring something to that our longstanding GM said "I never want to be picking 1st overall" DD.

There's certainly been years in this league where GMs had made odd deals. Our most questionable deal ever was during the MF years in trading Bailey to the Spitfires of a so-so goalie in Guadagnolo, Guadagnolo never really lived up to the hype in OS and we eventually flamed out in the playoffs.

To narrow down our beat trades I'd have to say there was 2. Both minor deals that led to big success in Owen Sound. The first was picking up Robby Mignardi from Kingston and the other deal was Jesse Blacker from Windsor both were key pieces in bringing a championship to Owen Sound. These deals certainly represent the type of team Owen Sound Attack truly are.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
Before I get into the Owen Sound trades let's first off bring something to that our longstanding GM said "I never want to be picking 1st overall" DD.

There's certainly been years in this league where GMs had made odd deals. Our most questionable deal ever was during the MF years in trading Bailey to the Spitfires of a so-so goalie in Guadagnolo, Guadagnolo never really lived up to the hype in OS and we eventually flamed out in the playoffs.

To narrow down our beat trades I'd have to say there was 2. Both minor deals that led to big success in Owen Sound. The first was picking up Robby Mignardi from Kingston and the other deal was Jesse Blacker from Windsor both were key pieces in bringing a championship to Owen Sound. These deals certainly represent the type of team Owen Sound Attack truly are.
Don't forget gemel Smith to London for 2 year captain Santino centerami(?) and Kyle platzer!!!

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
To Oshawa (05-06)

Brett MacLean, Eric Regan, 2nd rnd '06, 2nd rnd '07

To Erie

Adam Berti & Bret Nasby

The Generals would have MacLean and Regan (Who I believe was a Captain in Oshawa towards the end) for 2 1/2 seasons.

Berti and Nasby were only in Erie for half a season

Reactions: OMG67

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Worst for Saginaw IMO is still sending Trocheck to Plymouth. That hurt so much when it happened. We got Zach Bratina, a 2nd and 2 3rds for our most beloved player. Bratina didn’t do much in his time here. Was moved to North Bay where he had a good resurgence before injuries ended his career. In that trade we got Blake Clarke who suffered from injuries as well. So in the end, we got almost nothing to build on from trading 89 to our biggest rival. This set the tone for the era of futility that occurred from 2012-2018.

Best? I’ll go with Josh Shalla. We traded Adam Comrie (D), rights to Matt Hoyle (played one meh season), and Saginaw’s 2nd round import pick in 09. In return we got Shalla, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and Guelph’s 1st Import pick in 09. Shalla came in right away with 32 goals. Followed that up with back to back 40 goal seasons including the mark that still stands as the single season spirit record of 47. He finished with 119 goals and still stands as Saginaw’s most prolific goal scorer.

That was bad but I can one up you and to the same team to boot. Your worst trade was 19 year old Chris Thorburn AND a second round pick to Plymouth for 16 year old Taylor Raszka who did a whole lot of nothing.

Reactions: HF92

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Dahm for a 4th then Donato on the same day was exactly what the wolves needed for run to the ohl final.

Sokolov and a 3rd for Lipanov might be the worst ohl trade of all-time.

The best first impression goes to Franky Palazzese

The worst trade the Wolves made was in 2012 when they unnecessarily traded a 2nd and 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
That was bad but I can one up you and to the same team to boot. Your worst trade was 19 year old Chris Thorburn AND a second round pick to Plymouth for 16 year old Taylor Raszka who did a whole lot of nothing.
I mean technically that might be worse from a value stand point but Thorburn played all of 37 games for Saginaw. Trocheck had a couple hundred games. Fresh off a WJC medal for the USA. He was the Saginaw Spirit. We all knew he was gone, but weren’t expecting him to go to the Whalers. This was Jim Palifito’s second season as GM and his whole tenure was a failure. The context makes the Trocheck trade vastly more awful.

onetimeshot

Apr 21, 2023
99-00 before the start of the season I believe. (no idea if draft picks were involved.)

To Peterborough

Steve Montador

To Erie

Derek McNamara

McNamara only lasted 6 games in Erie. Dave MacQueen was the coach in Erie at the time, his first season.

Montador an OA, had 56 points for the Petes that season and went on to play for Calgary, Florida, Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo and Chicago.

Unfortunately, Steve passed away 2/15/15.

Reactions: flamebird

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I mean technically that might be worse from a value stand point but Thorburn played all of 37 games for Saginaw. Trocheck had a couple hundred games. Fresh off a WJC medal for the USA. He was the Saginaw Spirit. We all knew he was gone, but weren’t expecting him to go to the Whalers. This was Jim Palifito’s second season as GM and his whole tenure was a failure. The context makes the Trocheck trade vastly more awful.

Thorburn played three prior seasons in North Bay before they became Saginaw so including playoffs he played 241 games for the franchise and was your best player on that team. I understand your point as far as Trocheck actually being in Saginaw and a long time fan favorite but the value wasn't all that bad had Bratina not had injury issues. The Thorburn trade was bad. Will you ever see anyone trade a 19 year old captain plus a second rounder for an unproven rookie? Palafito wasn't best GM but he wasn't the worst GM Saginaw had.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For Windsor, best stab...

Worst:

- Getting Bateman for two 2nds, two 3rds, and a 6th. He was supposed to be the next Ryan Ellis but didn't pan out at all.

- As much as I appreciated Ryan Garlock, the Janssen to Guelph trade still makes me roll my eyes.

- Wasn't a huge fan of the Windsor/Hamilton deal with Adam Laishram in 2017. It was Laishram + 2nd + 8th for 2nd + 2nd + 4th. He only got into 30 games and didn't produce much.

Best:

- Rychel getting Maggio for two 2nds. It started off quite slow before exploding and proving Rychel knew what he was getting into. I don't think Spits fans could have asked for much more from Maggio.

- Rychel trading Campbell to SSM for Sieloff, Braid, and a bunch of picks. I like JC but that was a great deal for Windsor.

- Bowler getting Christopoulos for a 5th in 2025. You make that move now and it's likely costing Windsor multiple 2nds and 3rds.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
To Oshawa (05-06)

Brett MacLean, Eric Regan, 2nd rnd '06, 2nd rnd '07

To Erie

Adam Berti & Bret Nasby

The Generals would have MacLean and Regan (Who I believe was a Captain in Oshawa towards the end) for 2 1/2 seasons.

Berti and Nasby were only in Erie for half a season

This has to be the worst trade for Erie. I remember that trade very well. Erie went on to miss the playoffs! Pretty sad when a team makes that type of buyer move and then miss the playoffs.

Worst:

- Getting Bateman for two 2nds, two 3rds, and a 6th. He was supposed to be the next Ryan Ellis but didn't pan out at all.

- As much as I appreciated Ryan Garlock, the Janssen to Guelph trade still makes me roll my eyes.

- Wasn't a huge fan of the Windsor/Hamilton deal with Adam Laishram in 2017. It was Laishram + 2nd + 8th for 2nd + 2nd + 4th. He only got into 30 games and didn't produce much.

Best:

- Rychel getting Maggio for two 2nds. It started off quite slow before exploding and proving Rychel knew what he was getting into. I don't think Spits fans could have asked for much more from Maggio.

- Rychel trading Campbell to SSM for Sieloff, Braid, and a bunch of picks. I like JC but that was a great deal for Windsor.

- Bowler getting Christopoulos for a 5th in 2025. You make that move now and it's likely costing Windsor multiple 2nds and 3rds.

I think Ottawa picked Maggio in the 4th round after he dropped quite a bit for some reason. I was disappointed when I heard he had requested a trade. I thought he was going to turn out to be a good one and sure enough!

Reactions: onetimeshot

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think Ottawa picked Maggio in the 4th round after he dropped quite a bit for some reason. I was disappointed when I heard he had requested a trade. I thought he was going to turn out to be a good one and sure enough!

I was hopeful at the start (though, that was tough at times). However, the last two seasons have blown it all out of the water. Two seconds for a kid who put up those numbers, was a leader, and one of the most genuine kids you'll meet (from what I've experienced)? All day long.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Worst:

Best:

- Bowler getting Christopoulos for a 5th in 2025. You make that move now and it's likely costing Windsor multiple 2nds and

Worst:

Best:

If you go back to the early 1990s two of the worst trades Windsor ever made were two they made in 1992. The first being the trade that sent Cory Stillman to Peterborough for four players only one of which was playing in the OHL the next season. The second trade was Jamie Allison being dealt to Detroit for two fringe players and a 2nd round draft pick. The best two trades in that era was in 1987 when they acquired future 60 goal scorer, David Haas for a 5th round draft pick and Kelly Cain for a 3rd round draft pick. Cain would go on to lead the team in scoring that year.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If you go back to the early 1990s two of the worst trades Windsor ever made were two they made in 1992. The first being the trade that sent Cory Stillman to Peterborough for four players only one of which was playing in the OHL the next season. The second trade was Jamie Allison being dealt to Detroit for two fringe players and a 2nd round draft pick. The best two trades in that era was in 1987 when they acquired future 60 goal scorer, David Haas for a 5th round draft pick and Kelly Cain for a 3rd round draft pick. Cain would go on to lead the team in scoring that year.

I was sticking to post-2000s because my memory is sketchy at best prior to that.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Welp. There's more than I'd like to remember for Sarnia, but I'd say

Worst - Konecny & Studnicka + 3rd for *ahem* Sasha Chmelevski, Chase Campbell, three 2nds, three 3rds, two 5ths + two conditional 2nds (i think we got those back)

I absolutely LOVED Konecny & haven't enjoyed watching a player more, but we got a whopping 33 games out of him & as we do lost in 7 in round one as he sat in the press box hurt. Chmelevski went on to play 156 games (incl playoffs) in OTT putting up 236 points.. oh and we handed them more ammunition than maybe any team has had to go add multiple star players which got them to the finals & helped them be elite for multiple years.

I know everyone else is probably going with a guy who helped them win! Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury lol. Are a couple that have been terrific but I'll go with ~

Charles Sarault from KGN for a 3rd & 6th. Sarault had 205 points in 146 games in Sarnia. Was captain his OA yr, finished 2nd in league points (1 off #1) & was OA of the year in the O.

If u are wondering we lost in RD1 both years with him. So yah. High bar in Sarnia.

• Haha
Reactions: Ferda11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad