Your second favorite?

Latex*

Sweden.

Unless there's some of the developing hockey countries involved.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I usually cheer for the US when Sweden is eliminated. Mainly because they have a good chance against Canada (usually) and they aren't Russia or Finland, which is of course a death sin to root for in hockey. :D I'd rather cheer for Denmark in football, and that's saying a lot.

SashaMesic

Aug 18, 2008
Besides Sweden I cheer for Finland.

I do however have a soft spot for the US as well, mainly because I think their logo/jerseys is/are really cool.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I always cheer for Sweden and get bashed from my fellow Canadians and even family. I'd love to live and work in Sweden one day and believe they are the most exciting country to watch (Canada might be most effective style of hockey which wins games but I always respect the Swedes and their program). I wish they had Markstrom this year because I feel goaltending could be the downfall in the medal round.

tikkanen5rings*

When Finland is out I always root Sweden but only because Finland is always the underdog. If that ever changes it's the opposite.
I also love Canada and the Swiss

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
After Finland is eliminated it's Canada for me. First, they play the type of game hockey is supposed to be played (IMO), and second, it's always nice to see a country with such passionate fans win.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Man, it's been so long since I've had to face that...

I think it used to be West Germany or Czechoslovakia or anybody playing against the Soviet Union....

Are any of those countries still around?

:sarcasm::naughty:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
My first favorites depend on what prospects are playing on each team. It's nice if the US wins but doesn't really bother me all that much if they don't. For me it's no different that watching U18 or U17 teams play so it's all about individual players and the overall hockey.

Harikkerk

Dec 27, 2011
Sweden
I want the sport to grow bigger....So for me there's no reason to cheer for Canada. The sport is as big as it gets there :D

Slovakia only got around 8.000 registered players. If they win some big games there's a chance we got even more players from that country in the future :P Same with Switzerland, Latvia, Germany, Norway and Denmark etc.

Shadowdancer

Professional Lurker
Aug 7, 2011
Saskatoon
After Canada, it would be Sweden and Finland in that order. Always like to see these 3 teams do well at any international tourneys.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I want the sport to grow bigger....So for me there's no reason to cheer for Canada. The sport is as big as it gets there :D

Slovakia only got around 8.000 registered players. If they win some big games there's a chance we got even more players from that country in the future :P Same with Switzerland, Latvia, Germany, Norway and Denmark etc.

I wouldn´t really put all of those teams in the same category, especially not Germany and Switzerland.

Acc. to 2011 IIHF stats:
Germany: 8,224 senior and 18,128 junior (okay considering their population it isn´t that high, btu let´s forget about that)
Switzerland: 11,129 senior and 13,775 junior players

Especially with the seniors, Russia for example claims to have only 2,050 senior players, so the Germans and Swiss are pretty well off.

Slovakia: 2,072 senior and 5,896 junior players

Latvia: 2,930 senior and 1,417 junior players
Denmark: 1,764 senior and 2,245 junior players
Norway: 1,968 senior and 3,709 junior players

Btw list also needs Slovenia: 155 senior players :amazed: and 700 juniors

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
In juniors it's Finland. Seniors, it depends. I like to root for Germany in the World Champs.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
From year to year, depends on which players on the team. This year I probably have to say Russia because of Kuznetsov and Yakupov

Even do I wouldn't mind if players like Mi-Granlund and Huberdeu won it

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Without doubt my second favourite team is USA.

All the other teams are tied for first!! :laugh:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Switzerland is my second favourite team in U-20 and the men's. They are little bit like "the new Finland" in hockey. Finland hasn't always been a top nation (17-20 years ago), so looking forward to when that will happen with the Swiss.

Now at QF phase my second favourite are the Czechs.

I do find it funny how Swedes often root for Finland (if their team is out) but Finns rarely root for Swedes back. I guess it's still the big brother syndrome. If we had beaten you couple more times in some of the finals we've been in, it would be different lol. However in this thread many more Finns than i expected seem to like Sweden, hmm...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad