Your preferred SCF match-up?

I want...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, but far from “the death of the league”, or whatever the silly phrase was.
Well obviously, no matchup could possibly be the death of the league, it's an intentionally and obviously exaggerated statement.

Still, we can see it's not very close, if we rank the teams by franchise value:

NYR 2.65bil
EDM 1.85bil
DAL 1.08bil
FLA 0.775bil

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Only hypothetical equivalent I can think of, is if the Expos won a few World Series, and nobody in Montreal ever cared. But then every big-name Free Agent signed here, and the locals treated them like some obscure high-school team.
Should we hound them every time they pop out in public? Give them endless shit over every bobbled puck until they would rather be somewhere else? LoL. Idk. Fans see Panthers players and just say hello, maybe a Go Panthers, and just move on and leave them be. It’s not that no one knows who they are. Idk maybe it’s because there are all kinds of famous people walking around down here. No big deal. It still boggles my mind that it is possible for hockey to be more popular in Canada, though. Can’t really figure that one out :huh:

Well obviously, no matchup could possibly be the death of the league, it's an intentionally and obviously exaggerated statement.

NYR 2.65bil
EDM 1.85bil
DAL 1.08bil
FLA 0.775bil
:dunno:

Reactions: IdleTraveller

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Should we hound them every time they pop out in public? Give them endless shit over every bobbled puck until they would rather be somewhere else? LoL. Idk. Fans see Panthers players and just say hello, maybe a Go Panthers, and just move on and leave them be. It’s not that no one knows who they are. Idk maybe it’s because there are all kinds of famous people walking around down here. No big deal. It still boggles my mind that it is possible for hockey to be more popular in Canada, though. Can’t really figure that one out :huh:

:dunno:

We're the equivalent of Soccer hooligans up here.

It's like peak Beatles-mania when it comes to playoffs.

This is the AWAY game Watch Party in Edmonton for a game being played in Vancouver:

Reactions: Porkleaker

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Don’t really care, but I think having a massive market like NY plus marquee players like McDrai is probably good for the league overall - and could result in a higher salary cap.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Those all Sun-belt Finals:

I guess the silver lining would be, they get to grow their fanbase?

1716312795980.png

1716312929450.png

1716312960300.png

Reactions: PuckG

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Relatively, nothing.

They're 11th in attendance and 12th in revenue.

They're a better than average drawing team.

They bring in more money and put more people in the arena than four of the Canadian teams
Am I crazy for thinking the league would actually prefer Dallas to Edmonton when it comes to ratings and revenue for the league? Dallas is a huge market, and a finals appearance would probably draw a ton of eyes to the games even from the people who usually don't watch hockey.

With Edmonton, all the potential was already exploited anyways. A Canadian team in the finals isn't that significant to the league, unless we are talking about the Leafs.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Not disparaging WNBA.

But in Canada hockey is still the clear cut #1 and its not even really close. And it's a shame that fanbases who really doesn't care nearly as much for it, get to watch their teams win year after year.

Only hypothetical equivalent I can think of, is if the Expos won a few World Series, and nobody in Montreal ever cared. But then every big-name Free Agent signed here, and the locals treated them like some obscure high-school team.

Is anyone in Dallas even going to give 2-shits about the Stars with the Mavericks in the conference Finals?

Boy you sound dumb even saying that considering Dallas has been a very successful market for hockey since the move.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Am I crazy for thinking the league would actually prefer Dallas to Edmonton when it comes to ratings and revenue for the league? Dallas is a huge market, and a finals appearance would probably draw a ton of eyes to the games even from the people who usually don't watch hockey.

With Edmonton, all the potential was already exploited anyways. A Canadian team in the finals isn't that significant to the league, unless we are talking about the Leafs.
It depends.

If you're not really a fan of hockey or just getting into it, seeing "Dallas" is more of a draw, particularly among Americans.

If you're a lapsed or casual hockey fan, they would prefer Edmonton. The Oilers are massive among hockey fans. And that's almost entirely due to 99.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Though people believe the league wouldn’t want a Canadian team in finals for ratings, the league would actually love an Oilers/Rangers finals.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I just want the Oilers to lose so I can stop hearing about how elite/GOAT every single player on the roster/concession staff/arena groundskeeper is after arguably playing against the 2 easiest opponents to get here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Edmonton Florida.

Dunno why. Maybe the Canadian in me wants to see a Canadian in the cup finals and I like the make-up of the Florida team.

IdleTraveller

Mar 30, 2024

NYR 2.65bil
EDM 1.85bil
DAL 1.08bil
FLA 0.775bil

I was already rooting for Dallas-Florida but this cemented it. Always root for the scrappy underdog.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It depends.

If you're not really a fan of hockey or just getting into it, seeing "Dallas" is more of a draw, particularly among Americans.

If you're a lapsed or casual hockey fan, they would prefer Edmonton. The Oilers are massive among hockey fans. And that's almost entirely due to 99.
To be honest, I would have thought Dallas to be the bigger draw from a TV viewership perspective and wouldn’t have thought the Oilers were very relevant to many American hockey fans.

I would think that most of Canada watches to cheer against the Oilers… so that could be a fairly big draw in itself. 🤣

Reactions: Porkleaker

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The NHL wants Dallas vs New York but it will probably be Florida vs Dallas, let's see if the refs favors the Rangers versus Florida? :popcorn:

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
We're the equivalent of Soccer hooligans up here.

It's like peak Beatles-mania when it comes to playoffs.

This is the AWAY game Watch Party in Edmonton for a game being played in Vancouver:

Isn't that more or less what every away stadium has looked like throughout? Feels like every game I've watched in any series they've cut to shots of the other team's stadium packed to the gills with rabid fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad