Your Post-Playoffs OHL Power Rankings

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I didn't realize this....hell of an effort from the young man with all that on his plate this season. Hats off:handclap:

...and, as far as I know, all that occurred prior to and during his attending the WJC camp. To say he had a lot on his mind as he was trying out for Team Canada is an understatement. For me, he should have been on that team.

Owen Sound sent him home for an extended Christmas break after his return from that camp what with all he was going through.

I agree! Hats off!!!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
1. Erie
2. Owen Sound
3. London
4. Mississauga
5. Windsor
6. Soo
7. Peterborough
8. Kitchener

I think there is a gap after the top 5. Although arguably Missy may be rated high - but they were very competitive every game vs Erie. Soo I believe would have been hard pressed to beat Peterborough and Kitchener. They overachieved all year.

I dont think SSM overachieved. Their top 6 was elite (MacIntyre, Kopacka, Katchouk, Senyshin, Speers, Frost) and had a top pairing as good as anyone's in Timmins (who's going in the first round this year) and Bouramann. They had the foundation of a great team due to their draft 2 years ago when they got Katchouk, Kopacka, and Timmins, which lead to a fast rebuild.

It's easy to make the claim that they were overrated since they re a Northern team and you would only ever see them play against your team because they aren't on national tv 10 times a year like the SW Ontario teams. But they were a legit powerhouse who got the short end of the stick when they ran into another well-drafted & well-built surprise power in Owen Sound.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I dont think SSM overachieved. Their top 6 was elite (MacIntyre, Kopacka, Katchouk, Senyshin, Speers, Frost) and had a top pairing as good as anyone's in Timmins (who's going in the first round this year) and Bouramann. They had the foundation of a great team due to their draft 2 years ago when they got Katchouk, Kopacka, and Timmins, which lead to a fast rebuild.

It's easy to make the claim that they were overrated since they re a Northern team and you would only ever see them play against your team because they aren't on national tv 10 times a year like the SW Ontario teams. But they were a legit powerhouse who got the short end of the stick when they ran into another well-drafted & well-built surprise power in Owen Sound.

Pretty easy schedule. Flint 6, Sarnia 6, Sudbury 6 (that's 4 extra for non conference), North Bay 4 (2 extra non conference), Saginaw 8. Add to that only 2 each against Erie and Owen Sound. That's a lot of easy division games and bonus non conference games.

After 2 quick wins in Soo, Owen Sound took care of the Hounds fairly handily 4 straight. You say we don't see enough of Soo in the south to appreciate how good they were. I'll counter that with you don't see enough of the midwest division to appreciate how good they are. We'll have to agree to disagree.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Pretty easy schedule. Flint 6, Sarnia 6, Sudbury 6 (that's 4 extra for non conference), North Bay 4 (2 extra non conference), Saginaw 8. Add to that only 2 each against Erie and Owen Sound. That's a lot of easy division games and bonus non conference games.

After 2 quick wins in Soo, Owen Sound took care of the Hounds fairly handily 4 straight. You say we don't see enough of Soo in the south to appreciate how good they were. I'll counter that with you don't see enough of the midwest division to appreciate how good they are. We'll have to agree to disagree.

You still need to win what is in front of you. On any night, you could be surprised by a Sarnia. Saginaw, or Flint. Without question, the Western Division was better and more balanced from top to bottom than the east. The Soo would have done just as good or better in the East because of some elite players.

ME16510

Jan 8, 2017
1. Erie
2. Windsor
3. London
4. Owen Sound
5. Mississauga/SSM? (Also roughly where I'd put Saint John & Seattle.)

Erie were the champions of a 68 game season & four best-of-7 playoff rounds in the toughest conference in the CHL. Windsor were the champions of a 4 game tournament in which they had over a month to prepare and played every game in front of their home crowd.

Windsor most likely would've won the first round series against London if Logan Stanley wasn't injured, but I don't know if he would've put them over the edge against Erie in a 7 game series where both teams had the same amount of time to prepare.

London and Owen Sound are practically tied in my book. Despite not having McNiven next year most likely, I think next year Owen Sound will be atop the western conference.

The top 5 teams in the OHL's western conference were the best teams in the CHL in my opinion. Any of them would've had a shot in Windsor over the past week.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00