Your personal top trades/ signings from a L.A perspective?

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Sadly, I don't think the Kings have a long list of good ones, but for my time, I would say the Richards trade was great, but the Carter trade was tops.

Getting Williams was another good one.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Dean Lombardi was the best signing the Kings have ever made.

/close thread

1365964541226.jpg

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Dean Lombardi was the best signing the Kings have ever made.

This by a country mile.

Assuming the OP meant just players though, I go with Richards. Was my favorite NHLer before we even got him, loved watching him play since Juniors. I never thought we'd get him out of Philly, so was beyond ecstatic when we landed him. Still is my favorite player too and I hope he retires a King.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
A friend of mine sent me a link to a blog a guy from Toronto wrote prior to the Kings game with TML last week which stated a pretty amazing stat. Since coming to the Kings in '09, Justin Williams has been on the ice for an astonishing 57% of the Kings goals. I will try to find that link so I can cite the stat, but if true, it would make it the most unsung trade in Kings history and #3 on my list behind Gretzky (which changed the world of hockey completely and reverberated over ALL PROFESSIONAL SPORTS) and Carter (Flat out won the team it's first Cup).

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Off the top of my head:

Gretzky
Kurri
Coffey
Palffy
Corey Millen
Richards
Carter
Hrudey
Granato/Sandstrom for Bernie(Loved Bernie tho) but not a bad trade.
Felix Potvin
Stoll/Greene
JWilly

Became a fan in 89

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
In recent history I've got to say the trade for Williams. I didn't like it at the time, O'Sullivan was being talked about as a potential 40 goal scorer and Williams was riddled with injuries. Well, as it turns out Lombardi knows a thing or two that I don't about winning and winners. Justin Williams is a winner and he even re-signed to a sweetheart deal with the Kings. Can you even imagine getting a legitimate top 6 forward on the free agent market for $3.65M that don't have red flags attached to their name? Thank you, Willy! I don't think Patrick O'Sullivan is even playing hockey this season. Not yet, anyway.

The Richards and Carter trades were obviously big but we've still got like 7-9 years left on their contracts, those final years might be painful... Not that I'd undo either trade under any circumstance, just saying that to some extent the Kings will in the future be paying extra for what we're enjoying now. Hopefully the cap will have risen to such a degree that it's not a big deal.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Didnt we get Justin Williams for Patrick Osullivan? Lol. . .

Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson has also worked out well.

Mike Richards for Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn seems about even in value now.

Did we trade Teddy Purcell for Jeff Halpern? I think that was the trade. Smh. :shakehead

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Wasn't around for the Gretzky trade, so I can't comment on that. So to me, the Richards trade was the best. I remember a game when the Flyers played the Kings and Mike Richards was easily the best player on the ice and me and my dad both joked that we would kill to get Mike Richards on the kings, but knew it would never happen. Look where the Kings are now. :nod:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Top 10 best trades in Kings history:

1) Acquiring Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley from Edmonton for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Los Angeles' 1st round choices in 1989 (later traded to New Jersey - New Jersey selected Jason Miller), 1991 (Martin Rucinsky) and 1993 (Nick Stajduhar) Entry Drafts and cash, August 9, 1988.

2) Acquiring Marcel Dionne and Bart Crashley from Detroit for Dan Maloney, Terry Harper and Los Angeles' 2nd round choice (later traded to Minnesota - Minnesota selected Jim Roberts) in 1976 Amateur Draft, June 23, 1975.

3) Acquiring Rogie Vachon from Montreal for Denis DeJordy, Dale Hoganson, Noel Price and Doug Robinson, November 4, 1971.

4) Acquiring Mike Richards from Philadelphia (with the rights to Rob Bordson) for Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and Los Angeles' 2nd round choice (later traded to Dallas - Dallas selected Devin Shore) in 2012 Entry Draft, June 23, 2011.

5) Acquiring Ziggy Palffy, Brian Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and New Jersey's 4th round choice (previously acquired, Los Angeles selected Daniel Johansson) in 1999 Entry Draft from the New York Islanders for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999 Entry Draft, June 20, 1999.

6) Acquiring Jeff Carter from Columbus for Jack Johnson and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (Marko Dano) in 2013 Entry Draft, February 23, 2012.

7) Acquiring Justin Williams from Carolina for Patrick O'Sullivan and Calgary's 2nd round choice (previously acquired, Carolina selected Brian Dumoulin) in 2009 Entry Draft, March 4, 2009.

8) Acquiring Luc Robitaille from the New York Rangers for Kevin Stevens, August 28, 1997.

9) Acquiring Glen Murray from Pittsburgh for Ed Olczyk, March 18, 1997.

10) Acquiring Paul Coffey from Pittsburgh for Brian Benning, Jeff Chychrun and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (later traded to Philadelphia - Philadelphia selected Jason Bowen) in 1992 Entry Draft, February 19, 1992.

Honorable mention: Acquiring Kelly Hrudey from the New York Islanders for Mark Fitzpatrick, Wayne McBean and future considerations (Doug Crossman, May 23, 1989) February 22, 1989.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

1) Acquiring Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley from Edmonton for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Los Angeles' 1st round choices in 1989 (later traded to New Jersey - New Jersey selected Jason Miller), 1991 (Martin Rucinsky) and 1993 (Nick Stajduhar) Entry Drafts and cash, August 9, 1988.

2) Acquiring Marcel Dionne and Bart Crashley from Detroit for Dan Maloney, Terry Harper and Los Angeles' 2nd round choice (later traded to Minnesota - Minnesota selected Jim Roberts) in 1976 Amateur Draft, June 23, 1975.

3) Acquiring Rogie Vachon from Montreal for Denis DeJordy, Dale Hoganson, Noel Price and Doug Robinson, November 4, 1971.

4) Acquiring Mike Richards from Philadelphia (with the rights to Rob Bordson) for Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and Los Angeles' 2nd round choice (later traded to Dallas - Dallas selected Devin Shore) in 2012 Entry Draft, June 23, 2011.

5) Acquiring Ziggy Palffy, Brian Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and New Jersey's 4th round choice (previously acquired, Los Angeles selected Daniel Johansson) in 1999 Entry Draft from the New York Islanders for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999 Entry Draft, June 20, 1999.

6) Acquiring Jeff Carter from Columbus for Jack Johnson and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (Marko Dano) in 2013 Entry Draft, February 23, 2012.

7) Acquiring Justin Williams from Carolina for Patrick O'Sullivan and Calgary's 2nd round choice (previously acquired, Carolina selected Brian Dumoulin) in 2009 Entry Draft, March 4, 2009.

8) Acquiring Luc Robitaille from the New York Rangers for Kevin Stevens, August 28, 1997.

10) Acquiring Paul Coffey from Pittsburgh for Brian Benning, Jeff Chychrun and Los Angeles' 1st round choice (later traded to Philadelphia - Philadelphia selected Jason Bowen) in 1992 Entry Draft, February 19, 1992.

Honorable mention: Acquiring Kelly Hrudey from the New York Islanders for Mark Fitzpatrick, Wayne McBean and future considerations (Doug Crossman, May 23, 1989) February 22, 1989.

Good list.

Add Ken "the Bomber" Baumgartner going to the Islanders in the mentioned Honorable mention trade. His being traded sucked bigtime. Though not a skilled player, I really really enjoyed having "the bomber" on the team. He didn't take crap from anyone (i.e. even Bob Probert). He was a true team player, stood up for everyone, no questions asked.

Plus, I'd change #9 to the Nichols for Granato, Sandstrom deal.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Good list.

Add Ken "the Bomber" Baumgartner going to the Islanders in the mentioned Honorable mention trade. His being traded was painful for me. Though not a skilled player, I really really enjoyed having "the bomber" on the team. He didn't take crap from anyone (i.e. even Bob Probert). He was a true team player, stood up for everyone, no questions asked.

Plus, I'd change #9 to the Nichols for Granato, Sandstrom deal.

Bomber was dealt in a separate trade with the Islanders.

Ken Baumgartner traded to NY Islanders by Los Angeles with Hubie McDonough for Mikko Makela, November 29, 1989.

The one benefit to that trade was that it inadvertently led to the acquisition of Mike Donnelly, as the Kings would trade Makela to the Sabres to acquire Donnelly.

The acquisition of Granato and Sandstrom definitely does deserve mention. The trade of Kurri and McSorley to the Rangers for Laperriere, Norstrom, Ferraro and LaFayette was also another great trade in Kings history.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Top 10 worst trades in Kings history:

1) Traded Wayne Gretzky to St. Louis by Los Angeles for Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, St. Louis' 5th round choice (Peter Hogan) in 1996 Entry Draft and St. Louis' 1st round choice (Matt Zultek) in 1997 Entry Draft, February 27, 1996.

2) Traded Larry Murphy to Washington by Los Angeles for Ken Houston and Brian Engblom, October 18, 1983.

3) Traded Butch Goring to the New York Islanders by Los Angeles for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis, March 10, 1980.

4) Traded Darryl Sydor to Dallas by Los Angeles with Los Angeles' 5th round choice (Ryan Christie) in 1996 Entry Draft for Shane Churla and Doug Zmolek, February 17, 1996.

5) Traded Paul Coffey to Detroit by Los Angeles with Sylvain Couturier and Jim Hiller for Jimmy Carson, Marc Potvin and Gary Shuchuk, January 29, 1993.

6) Traded Kevin Stevens to Pittsburgh by Los Angeles for Anders Hakansson, September 9, 1983.

7) Traded Jay Wells to Philadelphia by Los Angeles for Doug Crossman, September 29, 1988.

8) Traded Luc Robitaille to Pittsburgh by Los Angeles for Rick Tocchet and Pittsburgh's 2nd round choice (Pavel Rosa) in 1995 Entry Draft, July 29, 1994.

9) Traded Alexei Zhitnik to Buffalo by Los Angeles with Robb Stauber, Charlie Huddy and Los Angeles' 5th round choice (Marian Menhart) in 1995 Entry Draft for Philippe Boucher, Denis Tsygurov and Grant Fuhr, February 14, 1995.

10) Traded Rob Blake to Colorado by Los Angeles with Steve Reinprecht for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, a player to be named later (Jared Aulin, March 22, 2001) and Colorado's 1st round choices in 2001 (Dave Steckel) and 2003 (Brian Boyle) Entry Drafts, February 21, 2001.

I know some may defend the Blake trade, but in the end, the Kings had nothing to show for trading one of the top defensemen in the NHL, and the Avs went on to win a Cup and got many productive years out of Blake. But that was a different time when the organization was run by Leiweke.

Honorable mention goes to all of the first round draft picks the Kings traded away that turned into Ray Bourque, Phil Housley, and Tom Barrasso. I didn't include those deals because knowing the Kings back then, they probably would have drafted the next Dan Gratton or Craig Duncanson.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Best trades begins and ends with Gretzky. No Gretzky, who knows where the history of the franchise goes. After that, Richards and Carter are tied.

Worst in franchise history is Lokti for a 5th. #WeMissYou

Fingolfin

Mar 9, 2003
Costa Mesa, CA
Top 10 worst trades in Kings history:

1) Traded Wayne Gretzky to St. Louis by Los Angeles for Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, St. Louis' 5th round choice (Peter Hogan) in 1996 Entry Draft and St. Louis' 1st round choice (Matt Zultek) in 1997 Entry Draft, February 27, 1996.

2) Traded Larry Murphy to Washington by Los Angeles for Ken Houston and Brian Engblom, October 18, 1983.

3) Traded Butch Goring to the New York Islanders by Los Angeles for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis, March 10, 1980.

4) Traded Darryl Sydor to Dallas by Los Angeles with Los Angeles' 5th round choice (Ryan Christie) in 1996 Entry Draft for Shane Churla and Doug Zmolek, February 17, 1996.

5) Traded Paul Coffey to Detroit by Los Angeles with Sylvain Couturier and Jim Hiller for Jimmy Carson, Marc Potvin and Gary Shuchuk, January 29, 1993.

6) Traded Kevin Stevens to Pittsburgh by Los Angeles for Anders Hakansson, September 9, 1983.

7) Traded Jay Wells to Philadelphia by Los Angeles for Doug Crossman, September 29, 1988.

8) Traded Luc Robitaille to Pittsburgh by Los Angeles for Rick Tocchet and Pittsburgh's 2nd round choice (Pavel Rosa) in 1995 Entry Draft, July 29, 1994.

9) Traded Alexei Zhitnik to Buffalo by Los Angeles with Robb Stauber, Charlie Huddy and Los Angeles' 5th round choice (Marian Menhart) in 1995 Entry Draft for Philippe Boucher, Denis Tsygurov and Grant Fuhr, February 14, 1995.

10) Traded Rob Blake to Colorado by Los Angeles with Steve Reinprecht for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, a player to be named later (Jared Aulin, March 22, 2001) and Colorado's 1st round choices in 2001 (Dave Steckel) and 2003 (Brian Boyle) Entry Drafts, February 21, 2001.

I know some may defend the Blake trade, but in the end, the Kings had nothing to show for trading one of the top defensemen in the NHL, and the Avs went on to win a Cup and got many productive years out of Blake. But that was a different time when the organization was run by Leiweke.

Honorable mention goes to all of the first round draft picks the Kings traded away that turned into Ray Bourque, Phil Housley, and Tom Barrasso. I didn't include those deals because knowing the Kings back then, they probably would have drafted the next Dan Gratton or Craig Duncanson.

You're missing:
1.) McSorley for McEachern.
2.) McEachern & Sandstrom for McSorley & Paek.

That whole episode was a ****storm fiasco.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You're missing:
1.) McSorley for McEachern.
2.) McEachern & Sandstrom for McSorley & Paek.

That whole episode was a ****storm fiasco.

Yeah I did consider the second trade to bring Marty back, but apparently researching more on that it was evident that McEachern did not want to be in LA and Sandstrom had apparently let it be known that he'd be bolting for Sweden and was looking for a big pay increase. The Kings were such a mess after '93. Giving away Donnelly and Millen with nothing to show in return also pissed me off.

Fingolfin

Mar 9, 2003
Costa Mesa, CA
Yeah I did consider the second trade to bring Marty back, but apparently researching more on that it was evident that McEachern did not want to be in LA and Sandstrom had apparently let it be known that he'd be bolting for Sweden and was looking for a big pay increase. The Kings were such a mess after '93. Giving away Donnelly and Millen with nothing to show in return also pissed me off.
I remember McEachern hated LA, and Sandstrom was unhappy about the Kings continually missing payroll. Regardless, from a pure talent/asset management perspective, the Kings really screwed the pooch on that one.

hangons

Feb 27, 2002
Westlake Village
Visit site

You forgot the following trade which should be in top five.:

On 14 March 1996, Matty Nordstrom was traded with Nathan LaFayette, Ian Laperrière, Ray Ferraro and a draft pick to the Los Angeles Kings for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad