Your overall appreciation for the team?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Gotta say I kinda like it. There are lots of ''ifs'' and question marks but the potential is there. There are two PF style wingers in Kassian and DSP. If even one of them reaches his potential I'll be pretty happy.

Semin is a 40-goal scorer and at 31, it's possible he'll reach 25-30 goals again. Hell, there's even a very, very low chance he'll score 40 again.

Pacioretty is a proven 35-goal guy with an obvious potential for 40.

Galchenyuk is a high draft pick with the most potential on the team.

Beaulieu is progressing. At a slower pace than I'd like but I think he's NHL material.

I know this team may not look like much on paper but if even half the players reach their full potential, I think Montreal will be a serious threat. What I love about this team is that it isn't futureless like those we had before(Smolinski, Kostopoulos, Samsonov). I know I may be hopeful, too hopeful perhaps but I think this team can go to places if even a few little things work out.

I'm not expecting everyone to turn into a Hart nominee but I do believe if Galchenyuk and one or two other guys pan out, Canadiens will be a very scary and attractive team.

Hell, if everything works out this team will look like the L.A. Kings. Unlikely that it happens I know.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I like it.

If Galchenyuk can play at Center and reach his potential, I love it.

I'm a believer that Semin will get his act together here next season and really be a different maker for our offense.

Capitaine Subban*

We needed a wingers badly and added one middle6 winger + one former 1st liner. This means that Eller wont be playing all the time with real scrubs and will help tremendously our depth scoring that was lacking so bad last year. We have more assets to make a blockbuster deal including hopefully DD to get back a proven winger for finally put Galchenyuk in the middle.Even if we cant make that trade we are still good shape to compete hard next year .

I cant wait for the 1st game.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I wouldn't describe DSP as a PF. He's a 3rd liner at best right now that needs work on getting in shape, his speed, his shot and his skating to ever hope to sniff top 6 minutes.

Kassian on the other hand, has the skill set but whether he'll be able to come to terms with Therrien's coaching and reach his potential is another story.

Add Semin to the mix and whether he'll bounce back and be a 40-50 point guy on this team and our pp problems and you have yourself a big question mark heading into next season.

If all those pieces fall into place and Price pulls off another performance like last season then we have a pretty decent team, if not, then we're in for another 1st/2nd round exit.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Will always "love" the team and love the fact that they're back in contention. I only "like" the current lineup because it's still a work in progress and, although I appreciate systematic defensive play, they could be more exciting to watch. However, I'll take wins over more scoring any day of the week.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Honestly Therrien and his usage of DD are the only thing that don't make me love the team. I feel this is the strongest roster we've iced in forever. Getting rid of DD and getting maybe one more top 6 winger would make this roster better than some of the Roy era teams. Even then at this point I'm fine letting internal options force their way on to the team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Love the team, hate the system.

I can't do this which is why I'm neutral.
I've watched the to many repeats over the last two years.
The lockout year was great until the Eller incident...
It seems we've been chasing that excitement ever since.
A different philosophy crept into our system.
We are now all about amassing reg. season pts.
Unfortunately the braintrust has come up with the most taxing sterile means of doing so.
Let some of these guys instincts take over ffs I promise you we will be better in the long run.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I love the team considering we have a ton of depth and still have lots of assets to add another forward at the deadline, our defence and goaltending is the best it has been in years. I just hope DD is gone and Chucky can start at C, it'd be exciting to see Hudon, Scherbak, Ghetto and even Holloway and McCarron battle for a spot up front.

MrDangles67

Jun 17, 2014
Nb,Canada
i like the team it will be interesting to see if some roster spots are available for Hudon,holloway,ghetto,Scherbak,Mccaron and if we get rid of some players or if we keep this roster and hope Semin and Kassian turn out good I'm so excited for the start of the regular season!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Feel a lot better with the Semin addition, but I still feel we're missin a big piece up the middle. We are really not that far away

PricePkPatch*

We certainly have a lot more offensive potential than.. Well, a good while.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
I like how we improved the team (even if only slightly..) by getting Kassian & Semin up front without breaking the bank or giving up the farm. It remains to be seen how these 'projects' work out for us but the gamble is well worth the risk.

PricePkPatch*

I like how we improved the team (even if only slightly..) by getting Kassian & Semin up front without breaking the bank or giving up the farm. It remains to be seen how these 'projects' work out for us but the gamble is well worth the risk.

Seriously.

We have had some serious potential upgrade.. And yet, we haven't touched the farm, we arent tied down by cap weight..

Thats an impressive midseason.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Kassian. DSP isn't really a project... He doesn't have much upside when you consider his complete lack of mobility and rock hands.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Man, what a difference a one-year, $1.1 million contract makes. :laugh:

I'm happy with what I see. Good depth in the bottom-six, good depth defensively, a top-six that now has a few options and should make for a better PP, and the best goaltender in the world.

System needs to make a few changes, particularly how the puck is distributed up the ice and playing a more east/west game to maximize on the skill level that is on the first two lines. You now have that ability, so use it. Let the Kassians, DSPs and Weises of this team play the dump-and-chase, crash-and-bang style of hockey and bruise up the other team.

Top-six is a bit thin, especially if one of them goes down during the season. Luckily, the Habs have Andrighetto, Scherbak and some other promising prospects that could step in a fill the void temporarily.

TL;DR version:
Depth in bottom-six and on defense, Price is God, top-six is talented but a little on the thin side, system needs some change.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Kassian and Semin acquisitions make the roster and its lineup's looks a lot better than they did during last season. If both players can play to their potential, the Habs could be a very good team next season.

Now, if Therrien implements the quick transition style that we saw the Habs play against the lightning in games 4 and 5, then we're really talking about something here.

Edit: All contingent on DD not being a part of the top 6, that is.

Last edited:

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
Goaltending is among the best in the league.

Defence is looking very good. Much better than it's been over recent years with the addition of Petry and emergence of Beaulieu. At some points we've had Emelin as our #3 essentially, now he's arguably our #5.

Offence has been our Achilles heel, as we all know. It's still far from being among the top tier teams, but given how strong our goaltending and defence we should be able to get by at the very least. Then if you factor in the potential for our new additions (Semin, Kassian, DSP, Holloway) and our prospects (Scherbak, Hudon, McCarron, etc) it's possible that our offence will be improved over last season.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Love it. Compare rosters from this year to last year.

Petry is an upgrade over Gonchar and Weaver. (Yes I do count this as Petry was a deadline pickup)

Beaulieu and Pateryn have both proven that they can play in the NHL.

Kassian is an upgrade over Prust.

Semin is an upgrade over Parenteau.

Mitchell is an upgrade over Malholtra.

Galchenyuk and Gallagher could up their games yet.

Plenty of young forward prospects are knocking at the door and are not that far away.

The only move that I am not that big on is the Smith-Pelly for Sekac. That is just for right now but both players are still young and could break out and become better players.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I very much like what Bergevin did over the summer (assuming Galchenyuk is resigned, obviously).

Loved the Kassian deal, loved the Semin signing. Both fit current and possibly even long term needs. Also love the fact Bergevin likes to hold on to his high picks and stud prospects. I think I'm one of the few around here that wouldn't be thrilled tossing 1st rounders/Scherbak/McCarron for guys like Vrbata/Marleau/Staal.

I do still have an issue with the way some of our assets are being used... But that's an entirely different question. Assuming Galchenyuk gets mutated to center and DD to Eller's LW, I'm happy with the look of our line-up. No crazy high-end talent [yet], but a decent amount of everything. Assuming Therrien can "make the most out of the group" like so many like to pretend he already does, this shouldn't be a team struggling to score 2 goals on most nights this year.

I'm not an alarmist when it comes to the assumed length or our contending window, and while I don't see ourselves as contenders just yet, I think we've made steps in the right direction over the summer.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
With Semin i can now look at next season and hope we might do better than last year in playoffs. I think unless there's lot of injuries making the playoffs should not be a problem.

When healthy our 3rd line will probably be fun to watch.

Weise-Eller-Kassian. That's a real 3rd line right there. Big guys. I like DLR but he's not ready and not really a winger.

4th line will be okay. I like what i saw of Mitchell last year. Bournival, DLR and Flynn should fight for the last place.

[?]-Mitchell-DSP.

As for the top 6 it's still kind of weak but we have guys coming so it could look better soon and at least we can sort of hope Semin return to a 25-50 player which would make our top 6 not as bad as last year.

Still hoping Galchenyuk is moved to center and Eller or DD is traded.

Patch-Galchenyuk-Semin
kid-Plekanec-Gallagher

The defense and goalie are obviously solid.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think I'm one of the few around here that wouldn't be thrilled tossing 1st rounders/Scherbak/McCarron for guys like Vrbata/Marleau/Staal.

Tossing any of those for Vrbata would be a terrible mistake imo. I would not even touch Hudon for him as i think he has the potential to be a mini plekanec.

I'm not an alarmist when it comes to the assumed length or our contending window, and while I don't see ourselves as contenders just yet, I think we've made steps in the right direction over the summer.

This summer looks better than last year no doubt. I hated the PAP deal. Was not a fan of Gilbert and Weaver signing either. Can't have 33% of your defensive core made from a team missing the playoffs years after years.

I definitely like the Kassian deal and Semin signing. Not a fan of Flynn's contract but he is still young who knows.

I still wish MB could pull a trade Eller+Emelin for a winger or something like that to give a chance to Tinordi and move Galchenyuk to center and DD to 3rd line with Weise and Kassian. But overall it's more positive than last year.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I love this team. We have the best goaltender in the world along with one of the best dcorps in the league. Offense is looking much better now too with the addition of Semin and Kassian.

If DSP can get into good shape, I actually see him becoming a very solid player. Only thing holding him back is foot speed

Kassian has a lot of potential and I think this team will use him as an offensive weapon rather than grinder due to our lack of options up front. I think this benefits him.

Semin I can see breaking 20 goals once again. Remember that he was PPG just 3 years ago and had a pretty good season the year after. There's no reason he can't put up at least 50 points on this team.

Petry... Well let's just say that the Edmonton trade was complete robbery lol. This guy is so underrated it is unbelievable. Habs MVP last playoffs in my opinion.

Overall, the team is bigger, faster and more talented than they were last year. With guys like Scherbak and McCarron looking to make an impact soon, I see the habs as contenders very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad